Favorite Christmas/Holiday song and by who?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Blackjack_Jeeves

I'm a pepper, too...
There's a Clint Black song out there, and I don't know if it's the title, but I've always known it as "Milk and Cookies." I remember having that song on almost every Christmas at my house. Just something nice to listen to. Another song I attribute to the holidays is Mannheim Steamroller's version of Good King Wenceslas. Well, really, all their holiday music is awesome.

And Carol of the Bells shall never be the same for me. My high school choir director, for my Freshman year, rewrote the words to the song for the Men's choir to sing. We enjoyed it, the audience enjoyed it, and it was a blast to perform. Mind you, this was during the 2000 election... It was re-titled "Carol of the Ballots." We even threw "ballots" up in the air as we performed. :D

Punkin1024

Summer's already here!
There's a Clint Black song out there, and I don't know if it's the title, but I've always known it as "Milk and Cookies." I remember having that song on almost every Christmas at my house. Just something nice to listen to. Another song I attribute to the holidays is Mannheim Steamroller's version of Good King Wenceslas. Well, really, all their holiday music is awesome.

And Carol of the Bells shall never be the same for me. My high school choir director, for my Freshman year, rewrote the words to the song for the Men's choir to sing. We enjoyed it, the audience enjoyed it, and it was a blast to perform. Mind you, this was during the 2000 election... It was re-titled "Carol of the Ballots." We even threw "ballots" up in the air as we performed. :D
The Clint Black song is also on my list. The title is ""Til Santa's Gone (I Just Can't Wait).

I knew if I thought about it, I'd remember more songs I love. This evening at work, one of my friends remembered a song with the words "And so this is Christmas", but she couldn't remember the name of the artist singing the song or even if she had the correct title. Of course, I remembered it too, but couldn't remember the artist or the exact title. I "googled" and found "Happy Christmas (The War Is Over)" by John Lennon. I also viewed a version of this song on YouTube, which was titled "And So This Is Christmas" and performed by Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan and Charlotte Church with a choir of children in the background. Lovely song.

~Punkin

Les Toil

I like "Jingle Bell Rock" by whoever the guy was who originally sang it.
Damn, all this time I thought "Jingle Bell Rock" was sung by Bill Haley and The Comets, but Wikipedia says it was recorded by someone name Bobby Helm and became an instant classic.

Go figyah.

latinshygirl92377

I have two favorite songs for christmas: first being "all i want for christmas is you" By mariah carey and the other one is in spanish since im hispanic.....its called "otra navidad sin ti" translated would be "another christmas without you" and its by a singer called Marco Antonio Soliz. great,great songs! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!:smitten:

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
"Little Drummer Boy" - Harry Simeone Chorale

"Gabriel's Message" - Sting (on "A Very Special Christmas", also known for the Run-DMC "Christmas In Hollis" from Die Hard)

John Denver & The Muppets - Denver's version of "Noel: Christmas Eve, 1913" and "Silent Night" which has both the German and English versions, with a backstory. Very good for the little ones.

"That Spirit of Christmas" - Ray Charles

I also like the "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" from Trans-Siberian Orchestra (we attend their concert every year), but the electric guitar gets a bit irritating to some.

Last edited by a moderator:

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I'm sort of eclectic in my taste in music, I like
- Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer - Elmo Shropshire
- O Holy Night - Mario Lanza
- Do You Hear What I Hear - Perry Como
- Rusty Chevrolet - Da Yoopers

swamptoad

I'm sort of eclectic in my taste in music, I like
- Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer - Elmo Shropshire
- O Holy Night - Mario Lanza
- Do You Hear What I Hear - Perry Como
- Rusty Chevrolet - Da Yoopers
I really like that song in your list from Perry Como. :bow:

Oh yeah and Rusty Chevrolet! Sweet! :D

Sonic Purity

Grateful
Alright, i’m not seeing how to do a search with a time element (e.g. a newer thread), so i can’t find the recent thread from a few weeks back on this subject, so i’m dredging up this 2007 thread that the Dims search gave me to share my fave (and apparently more obscure than i thought) December Holidays song.

For anyone immersed in 1960s rock along with traditional Christmas music, as i was as a young child, very likely this mashup might have happened inside your head at the time—it certainly did in mine. A decade and a half later, The Tryfles made it into recorded reality.

G-L-O-R-I-A (In Excelsis Deo) (YouTube)

Sonic Purity

Grateful
Someone may have to stop me before i get carried away, but truly, i promise i’ll go back to story writing in a little while.

One more before i take off. A pinnacle of jazzy schmaltz meets the December holidays with classic Columbia/Mitch Miller (i think) deep echoey production (which sounded decent even on lower-fi record players of the era), some kind soul uploaded to YouTube the entire album:

Wonderland of Christmas, Andre Kostelanetz and his orchestra, 1963

If you remember this album, props to you. If not, you might give it a try. It was so pivotal to my family/childhood experience that i procured a clean (and stereo—our family original was mono) copy some years ago, then very carefully digitized it circa 2000.

What does this have to do with Dimensions, you ask? The opening track is an obscure plot point in one of my (many, all so far unpublished) fatlovesex stories. I’d better get back to work on (a different one of) those now.

LouisJoseph57

The songs that reminds you of CHRIST in CHRISTmas like: Silent Night, Holy Night; First Noel; songs like that that talks about the real meaning of CHRISTmas.

Sonic Purity

Grateful
Yesterday i was listening to the SOMA-FM Christmas Lounge stream. Immediately stopped what i was doing when i heard what for sure sounded like the Pied Pipers (it was) singing:

🎼 Fat man’s comin’!
Fat maaaan’s comin’! 🎼

And then it repeated. I’m thinking {What is this?!}. Rushed several rooms away to the music player Macintosh to find out, and found:
Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town – Johnny Mercer & the Pied Pipers (Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix) from Merry Mixmas - Christmas Classics Remixed (Capitol 2005)(Discogs information on this album)

Fat man/BHM?: here’s your theme song (or another one).
FA attracted to fat men/BHM: you might like it too.

Here’s the original song (better for ringtone/text tone sampling):

Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town – Johnny Mercer & the Pied Pipers

Best Holiday and All Year Wishes to all Fat Men and those who appreciate them.

BigElectricKat

Old enough to know better, Too young to resist!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Christmas Rappin' by Kurtis Blow. Reminds me of all those Christmas house parties back in the day.

CurvyEm2

The Darkness - Don't let the bells end. Of course a mention has to be made for my favourite Christmas number 1, Killing in the Name of by RATM.