• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Foodie Club Recipe #5a and #5b

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie

...tickled...
I couldn't decide between posting a sweet recipe or a veggie recipe...so I opted for both, hope that is ok, my indecisiveness is in full force today, at least I narrowed it down to two.

I get a lot of recipes and have become a better cook because of food blogs. The advice, photos and ideas offered have helped me grow as a cook. I was hopeless a few years ago. Now I am just challenged. :)

5a. From Simply Recipes. I hate summer, but the one thing that really helps is knowing there is an overly abundant supply of zucchini. I love it anyway I can get it...and I really really love zuchinni fritters. This recipe was originally from Everyday Food, but she posted it last August. SO so so wonderful. And it is another excuse to eat sour cream :).

Zucchini Fritters:
1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium sized), coarsely grated
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
1 large egg
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grape seed oil or olive oil
Sour cream or plain yoghurt

1 Salt the zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt. Try to remove the excess moisture from the zucchini by either squeezing the liquid out with a potato ricer, or by squeezing with paper towels. (The original recipe calls for putting the zucchini in a colander set in the sink to let it drain for 10 minutes after salting it. I think it works much better to use a potato ricer.)

2 Whisk egg in a large bowl; add the zucchini, flour, scallions, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix to combine well.

3 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters in two batches. Drop six mounds of batter (2 Tbsp each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve immediately, with sour cream or plain yoghurt on the side.

Her url for anyone who would like to visit one of the *best* food blogs on line for recipes is elise.com/recipes/.

Recipe 5b. My other summer fave is Key Lime Pie. I could eat it every day for every meal I think. :) I don't but I totally could. Another favorite food blog is Culinary in the Desert. He is amazing. Great recipes, talented writing and beautiful-foodee loving photos. I have tried a lot of his treat recipes and ideas. He has a good ham and cheese strata as well.

These are yummy, definitely try them if you can. For me, I love them chilled and then eaten out in the back yard as the sun sets.

Key Lime Bars:

Crust

4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Filling

3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
Grated zest of 2 key limes
1/2 cup key lime juice

Preheat oven to 350

For the crust

In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour and salt until well combined. The mixture will be crumbly.

Line an 8X8 baking pan with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Press flour mixture into the bottom of the pan to form the base. Bake for about 12 minutes, until the edges have just a small amount of color to them.

For the Filling

In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in condensed milk, egg, lime zest and lime juice. When smooth, pour over the warm crust.

Place back in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges are firm, but when you shake the pan, the middle should still have some jiggle to it. Remove from the oven and place baking pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Cover pan and set in the refrigerator until well chilled. Pull up the foil to lift the mixture out and carefully peel away the foil. Cut into bars.

To visit Culinary in the Desert, and it is a highly recommended visit go to desertculinary.blogspot.com.

Hope you enjoy either or both of the recipes if you get a chance to make them! Have a good week :).

Latest posts

Back