Quantcast

Funk Appreciation.....

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LJ Rock

As a self-professed 'professor of funk,' I must take it upon myself to keep this thread alive. Here is a video for a song I wrote and recorded with a friend of mine not too long ago. It's got more of 60s soul/Motown vibe more than straight up funk perhaps, but it's still groovin'. Hope you enjoy! :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJXFKFIVkY[/ame]

Tracii

The original Funkadelic with George Clinton I grew up on that as a kid.
Mothers Finest I have seen live a bunch of times and they started in the 70's and are still together making music.
They are the best of the 70's, funk/soul/heavy rock all rolled into one.

fuelingfire

Mothers Finest I have seen live a bunch of times and they started in the 70's and are still together making music.
I saw George Clinton last summer play at Madison's Bratfest!

LJ Rock

Nice! I actually got to open for P-Funk last spring in Boston. George is still tearing it up at age 76. I only hope I can have half as much energy as he does when I'm that age.

Wow, Mother's Finest. Haven't heard anyone drop that name in ages! I loved their original version of "Love Chages", later made famous by Kashif and Meli'sa Morgan.

LJ Rock

I thought I would also go ahead and share something I posted to Soundcloud not too long ago, if anyone is interested. It's a series I did called [skematiks]. The intention was to write, record and publish a short five or six song "album" every week. I had been writing so much at the time; I just felt as though I needed that outlet. It was fun, but after posting three of them I found myself unable to keep up. Maybe I will find the time again, but in the meantime check out what I've done so far - maybe you'll dig it. :D

https://soundcloud.com/bigbenhillman/skematiks-chapter-one

https://soundcloud.com/bigbenhillman/skematiks-chapter-two

https://soundcloud.com/bigbenhillman/skematiks-chapter-three

Tracii

Mothers Finest have a face book page you should check it out,Jean Kennedy is still an awesome lady.
I was in a touring trash metal band back in the late 80's until 1995 so I got to see lots of big acts and work with a few.
George Clinton I met in a WalMart of all places and it was like OMG I have to go talk to him. He was so nice and just a beautiful man.
George is the only mega star I freaked out when I saw him in person LOL.
Most of the stars I met it was hi how are you that kind of thing, they are just regular people after all so I treat them that way.
I dig your sound cloud clips well done.

LJ Rock

Thanks for the tip on the Mother's Finest Facebook page, I started following - and also thanks for the complement on my tunes. :) That's cool that you got work with so many cool artists during your tenure with the band, and how awesomely random to meet the King of all Funk at Walmart! lol I've gotten to work with a handful of big names myself, and I think the only time I ever really got "startstruck" is when I met Herbie Hancock. He's been my personal keyboard-hero since I was a kid, and I got to meet him backstage at Newport Jazz fest when I was about 24 or so years old - shaking like a leaf and babbling like a fool. lol

Colonial Warrior

I love funk music. Specially all that wonderful songs from 1978 to 1982!

This song made me feel decided to study music in 1981. Unfortunately, I don't have much talent for music. I always love the sound of the bass guitar. This is also in a subgenere named Italo-disco. Try It Out by Gino Soccio!

Latest posts