GC: Afternoon at the Mall (1-2) - by Matt L. (~BBW, Magic, ~SWG)

Discussion in 'Fantasy/Science Fiction Archive' started by Observer, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1

Observer

Observer

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator

~BBW, Magic, ~SWG - a series based on the need of some people to have a few changes in their lives

An Alternate Reality Story

Goth Chick's Afternoon at the Mall
    by Matt L. and the Observer
    (based on the CWWF original)

Libby was there for a purpose, but arriving early decided to grab a snack and amuse herself with her magic. Clad all in black, a T-shirt and skirt, ill fitting and meant for a female a few sizes smaller, Libby grabbed her pizza puff and cola and merrily strolled down the various corridors. There were droves of customers, leisurely spending their Saturday afternoon mingling with friends while looking for bargains. Libby was watching, looking for opportunities to exercise her unique abilities.

FIRST CHAPTER : ADJUSTMENT OF FLAWS.

Marjorie Landers was basically a perky, sweet caliber of young lady, although shopping that particular afternoon with her older sister was becoming quite the challenge on her nerves, as Libby quickly perceived. .

Barely 18, Marjorie was about as cute as they come. She had long flowing blond hair, cradling her shoulders that exposed her radiant chubby face while her pudgy 175-pound body was casually attired in a simple sleeveless T-shirt and shorts.

Resembling distant cousins rather than sisters, Marjorie’s older sibling Vanessa was an entirely different category of female. Vanessa Landers, a 23-year old software tech was essentially narcissistic. Pausing to view her reflection in the window of a exclusive boutique, Vanessa smiled while glancing over her womanly assets.

Her neat and orderly ash blond mane was set in a short, preppy style that enhanced her delicate features and her meticulously trim figure was dressed in a skin tight silk blouse and designer slacks.

“You know this is like, the fifth shop we’ve visited and you’ve yet to purchase anything”, the younger Marjorie stated with conviction.

There was a natural haughty tone to Vanessa’s voice as she responded, “You can’t expect me to buy just anything? This date is extremely special.”

Extremely special was a phrase often used by Vanessa when in need of exaggerating the importance of the moment. Libby winced at its precociousness, but sibling rivalries were common. Vanessa’s chiding of her sister was routine, in her view how would a chubby girl who hadn’t a clue about fashion understand the magnitude of appearance.

Marjorie rubbed the tip of her sneakers against the hard tile, observing “you know that Bruce wouldn’t care if you showed up in sweats and your hair in curlers.”

Fact was, Bruce Baxter was the new manager of the company. Handsome and well off, this date was Vanessa’s golden opportunity. He was a successful gentleman who could offer her the lifestyle she desired, though in her office, she indeed had a few rivals for his affection. There was then motive underlying her concern, for looking especially attractive on their first date would be to her advantage.

Marjorie again interrupted her sister‘s preoccupied browsing, which in her view was now bordering on obsession. “Excuse me, I hadn’t any idea shopping with you would take the whole afternoon.”

Actually, Vanessa’s sole purpose for bringing Marjorie was for her to carry her bags and chauffeur her around.

“I had intended to sleep in and then visit my friends”, Marjorie added.

Vanessa lifted an eyebrow, “If you stop whining, I’ll buy you something.”

Marjorie exhaled, “You know very well none of these trendy boutiques you shop at carry anything in my size.”

Vanessa tilted her forward, “And whose fault is that?”

Marjorie grimly stared at Vanessa as she was given another lecture, “Marjorie, for goodness sakes, take some pride in your appearance and lay off the fattening foods. When I was in high school, I was a cheerleader and quite popular. We used to tease and harass girls like you all the time.”

Marjorie sarcastically bellowed, “Thanks for enlightening me, I never realized popular girls teased us misfits.”

Vanessa condescendingly replied with a smirk, “I’m telling you this for your own good. You’re only 18 and at least 175-pounds, by time you’re my age, you’ll be a enormous.”

Vanessa stood with her hands over her svelte waist, bitingly inserting her opinion, “You’ll be among the bottom feeders, none of the really classy guys won’t have anything to do with you.”

Marjorie sighed, “I’m already used to that, most of the guys in class ignore me.”

Vanessa leaned toward the shop’s entrance, “Then you understand me.”

Marjorie cordially protested, “Ah, I’m not going into another shop and watch you try on dresses for a hour. I’m going to grab a bite.”

Vanessa softly chuckled, “Typical.”

Marjorie inched toward her sister, “What’s the big deal with having lunch? Following you from store to store is exhausting and I’m famished.”

Vanessa turned toward the direction of the food court, waving her hand, “Go on tubby, pig out. I wouldn’t want to interfere with your natural instincts. Just remember to come back here once you’re done feeding.”

Marjorie was privy to the fact that leaving the mall without her pretentious sister would be the cause of further chaos.

“Yeah, okay, fine”, Marjorie bitterly replied.

Though Marjorie never made it out of Vanessa’s sight, she found herself suddenly freezing within two feet from where she stood arguing with Vanessa. Vanessa giddily approached her sister, “Lose track of the location?”

Pointing into the direction of the food court, Vanessa chuckled, “The food court’s over there.”

Loudly sighing, Marjorie insisted, “I know very well where it is.”

Vanessa swung her purse over her hip, “You really must be hungry, you’re delusional.”

“Screw you”, Marjorie blurted without reservation.”

Vanessa peppered her malice with humor, “Cranky too, I suppose due to not having anything to eat since breakfast?”

Nervously Marjorie scratched her plump belly, “I just want to be left alone.”

Vanessa uttered a soft, “Huh?”

Through focusing on Marjorie’s distressed expression and the track of her gentle eyes, Vanessa glanced through the crowd and discovered the reason behind her sister’s suddenly sour mood. Aimlessly relaxing on a bench was a rather good looking young man just about Marjorie’s age.

“I see,” Vanessa purred, “You’re smitten with that cool looking guy over there.”

Marjorie silently whisked her sister away into the boutique.

“He seems like a nice guy, why so shy?”, Vanessa asked.

Marjorie rummaged through her emotions, “He is a nice guy, I really like him, really like him. We talk all the time in class and he’s always making me laugh.”

While Marjorie continued, “But I’m not looking my best and even then…”

But Vanessa wasn’t paying attention. She’d caught her reflection on a spacious mirror and was compelled by her own physical attraction,

“Maybe I should buy something low cut to show off my_.”

Marjorie cleared her throat, “Excuse me, I was spilling out my guts.”

Vanessa eased her eyes off her splendid form to glimpse out the door at the male Marjorie was taken with.

“He is cute”, Vanessa stated like a minx, “But I’m afraid guys like him don’t go for chubby chicks. Unless you’re planning to drop some excess weight, I’d forget about him, he’s the type usually reserved for cheerleaders.”

Vanessa might as well have added, “now back to me,” because she began glancing over the various apparel on a clothes rack , “I think something by Gucci would look scrumptious on me!”

Marjorie had had it. She knew Libby was watching and rubbed her belly as she focused on Vanessa, “I wish, I wish I was more like you.”

Vanessa snapped her fingers ignoring her sister’s mantra, “Hey Tubby, if you’re finished moaning over rejection, I need your assistance.”

Marjorie bitterly fumed as she caressed her belly, “_and I wish you were more like me.”

Libby smiled. The time had come, the signal had been given – and Marjorie had more than given her sister fair opportunity to avoid what was about to occur. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for an instant.

~ A paradox of accuracy manifested, blurring the facts into an adjustment in reality, and there was a new relationship, although neither sister yet realized it and only one had any idea of how the shift had occurred.

A pretty salesgirl promptly introduced herself to Marjorie, “Hello, I’m Serena. I’m guessing you’re here to buy a gown for prom?”

Marjorie blinked, “Excuse me?”

Serena replied with a girlie girl giggle, “Hope I’m not coming on too strong? Our manager expects us to be very conscientious.”

Marjorie was a little perplexed by the come on, after all, most salesgirls usually ignored her, “No, you’re not coming on too strong.”

Serena tapped her chin as she scrutinized Marjorie’s body, “You have a swell figure, I’m guessing a size 4?”

“A size 4?”, Marjorie questioned to herself, “How hard up is this chick for a sale?”

Leaning toward the looking glass, Marjorie mumbled, ‘I’m so not a size_.”

Her jaw dropped. Mesmerized by her own reflection, Marjorie silently inspected the overwhelming change to her appearance.

Streaks of brown highlighted her shiny blond mane, set in a bouncy ponytail that pulled the hair away from her gorgeous cover girl face. Marjorie’s slender figure looked nothing less than spectacular in a tube top and shorts, a small belly ring decorating her trim tummy. Now at a curvaceous 128-pounds, Marjorie smiled as she twirled around, telling the salesgirl, “Actually, I just might be a size 6, but maybe I can squeeze into a size 4?”

Mean while, another salesgirl approached Vanessa, “Um, excuse me ma’am, but I don’t really think we have anything in your size?”

“Ma’am?”, Vanessa thought to herself, “Since when am I referred to as ma’am?”

The salesgirl, slim and absolutely vivacious, suggested with a dab of snootiness, “Perhaps K-mart might be a better choice for clothes?”

Confusion rocked Vanessa’s mind, she had never been rejected by any saleswoman, they usually flocked to her assistance. The salesgirl sighed loud enough to gather Vanessa’s attention, “Look around if you must, but I assure you, there’s nothing in stock that will fit you .”

Vanessa snapped out of her daze, “What do you mean nothing in stock that‘ll fit me?”

The reality of her image cast upon a mirror was comeuppance for her shallow principles. She gasped, “Whaaa, I’m huge! How and when did this happen?” T

The salesgirl softly replied, “No, duh, I think its been that way for awhile..”

Vanessa’s hair was now barren of the sophistication that was granted by its preppy style and ash blond hue. Meager in style and reminiscent of a cheap cuts salon, her blasé blond mane was combed back but rumpled, the noticeably longer length flirted with the top of her shoulders. Contouring to the shape of her face, it added a marginally frumpy quality to her appearance.

Vanessa’s delicate facial features were no more, replaced by swollen cheeks and a plump double chin. Even her once narrow nose had expanded at the tip, rendering her the look of a reasonably pretty girl, but one that was more at ease with baking and sewing than social elegance. Vanessa’s wardrobe now reflected the trappings of an inconspicuous lifestyle.

A comfortable looking T-shirt that didn’t exactly flatter her large bust, big belly and thick waist and spandex slacks that didn’t do her wide posterior or hefty thighs any favors. A gigantic spare tire circled her chunky waist and her hips were staggering in width. Even her top of the line footwear was replaced with Payless specials.

Vanessa’s twinkle of superiority faded from her eyes as her shoulders rolled forward, distilling the knowledge that at 255-pounds, she had become the type of female she used to tease. Indeed, she was strangely feeling as though her memories of her former self were those of someone else long ago and far away. As Libby manipulated reality she was swiftly accepting her current size as being for her “normal.”

Marjorie joined her sister, basking in the prominence of her curvy shape that was in sync with her new found confidence, “Hey, while you’re moping around here, I’m going to run over to Ryan and say hello!”

Vanessa’s voice had received a dejected tone, “Huh, who?”

Excitedly, Marjorie tapped her fancy footwear, “Ryan Manners, the guy sitting on the bench!”

Vanessa glanced over her sister, the mechanics of mind replacing her anger with envy, her confusion with understanding. She really was the big sister now.

“But what about me?” Vanessa whimpered. She had no idea of how to cope with her new reality.

Marjorie placed her hands over her hips, smiling as she lifted her chin, “Ah, weren’t you like, shopping for a dress for your big date with Bruce?”

Vanessa tried to mimic her sister’s stance, but removed her hands from her hips once she noticed how the stance effectively displayed her corpulent round belly, “There’s so many beautiful girls in the office, I doubt Bruce Baxter will even notice me anymore.”

Marjorie tapped her chin, for the moment letting some pay-back sink in “Well then tubby, I guess then you can grab a bite while I socialize with Ryan? I wouldn’t want to interfere with your natural instincts.”

Serena approached Marjorie, asking as she gawked at the rotund sister, “So find anything you like?”

Like on a runway, Marjorie strutted by Serena, swaying her hips in confidence, “Not at the moment, but trust me, I’ll be back!”

Vanessa’s gait as she tried to follow was genuinely awkward, her lumbering body failing to keep pace with the light footed Marjorie.

“That’s one chick who needs to spend more time at the gym, less time at the dinner table”, Serena surmised after the pair were out of the shop. Vanessa, now the one with the appetite, diverted to the food court where she could contemplate her new state while Marjorie sauntered on.

A short time later Marjorie joined her sister at the food court, where Vanessa was indulging her new found appetite.

“Guess who just asked me to the prom?”, Marjorie beamed in happiness.

Vanessa teetered on her chair, replying between bites of her chili dog, “not that cute Ryan guy?”

Marjorie’s swift nod triggered a bounce from her ponytail, “Oh yeah! I told you we’ve always gotten on well. It just took some encouragement. Now you just relax and finish your meal, I’ll be over that fancy boutique looking for a gown.”

Vanessa wiped her greasy fingers off her spandex slacks, “I guess, but watching you trying on dresses isn’t much fun.”

Marjorie nonchalantly smiled and turned up the payback another notch, “Ah, if you stop whining, I promise to buy you something.”

Vanessa reached for her cola, crinkling her nose at the suggestion, “You kidding? That shop doesn’t have a thing that’ll fit me.”

Marjorie chuckled while gazing over her sister’s plate of fattening food, “And whose fault is that?”

Then she paused. “But seriously, there are other shoppes, and you don’t have to dress down and let your hair go just because others expect you not to care about yourself when you’re fat. I bet that with a little effort you can still attract Bruce. I happen to feel he really liked you as a person, not solely because of your image.”

Vanessa noted the difference in Marjorie’s approach – instead of being condescending as she had been, she was trying to encourage. If only Vanessa could believe what her sister was saying to be true . . .

“Put it this way – if you’re being the best you can be and he doesn’t like it, then he’s not good enough for you! So what about trying it?” challenged Marjorie.

Libby smiled at the love Marjorie was extending towards her sister; as a final touch she strengthened Vanessa’s inner self-image and willingness to compete. She also used her remote viewing ability to look in on Bruce Baxter, finding him to be kindly disposed towards Vanessa already and not at all a fatophobe; she visualized him as seeing Vanessa as a warm and wonderful friend whose fulsome body simply reflected her unpretentious and sharing nature. For good measure she also conferred upon Ryan and Marjorie the blessing of a continuation of the joy and friendship they had always had.

Libby smiled before she moved on, knowing that Vanessa and Marjorie's futures were secure – although Marjorie, free of the unnatural social restraints that had held Vanessa’s appetite in check, would grow over time, something that Ryan would not mind at all.

(continued in post 5 of this thread)

2. Aug 27, 2008 #2

Wilson Barbers

Wilson Barbers

Wilson Barbers

Full-time Fanta-sizer

So most of the major changes from the original CWWF version appear to have been appended to the end, making the story less dark. Not sure I entirely buy it, but perhaps that because I read the earlier version first . . .

3. Aug 27, 2008 #3

Observer

Observer

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator

Libby in this version is improving peoples lives, not just upsetting their previous dysfunctional realities. You are correct that the biggest change here is in the ending. In the original Vanessa initially was left a pathetic fat wreck without the self assurance and lifetime of experience her sister had in the same situation. Here both protagonists wind up with better lives. There are, however, lesser edits sprinkled through the narrative as well.

Sorry if you miss the darker ending - Matt thought the happier ending was nice (he actually encourages me to mess with his stories).

Libby will be back in a few weeks with some more of her work.

4. Aug 27, 2008 #4

Wilson Barbers

Wilson Barbers

Wilson Barbers

Full-time Fanta-sizer

I did notice some of the other improvements: the transformation scene was more smoothly depicted, for one. I wouldn't say I "miss" the original ending (in my own stories, after all, I tend to try and make even the most extreme gains an ultimately positive experience for the protagonist), but I will note that my familiarity with the original version worked against my ability to accept the new conclusion. Wonder what those who are coming across this story here for the first time think?

5. Aug 28, 2008 #5

Dhomberger

Dhomberger

Dhomberger

this is the first time I have read this story and I fouind it a good read. I would agree that the end seems uncharicteristic compared to te general way the story plays out. I leaves you with the warm fuzzies, but just seems a litle off. All for the best though ^_^

6. Apr 26, 2012 #6

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Library Editor

Libby’s quarry had not shown as of yet, thus she continued to wander the mall, creating chaos and amending the inaccuracies of the pretentious.

SECOND CHAPTER; THE PRETENTIOUS WHEELER DEALER:

A product of a wealthy environment and strikingly attractive, Cassandra Wallington’s lifestyle was certainly posh and extravagant. This being said, it’s important to note, Cassandra didn’t just survive on her parent’s cash, she earned a business degree and secured her own success. She knew she was easily the intellectual equal of her nerdy corpulent brother Albert and his equally nerdy and even fatter fiancé Anna
    Cassandra’s physical attributes were noteworthy: soft gorgeous face, long wavy brown hair and trim hourglass figure. Not one pound over 130, Cassandra was keen about her diet and knew from her brother’s physique and high school experience that could pile on the pounds rather easily. If not for her pampered lifestyle of exclusive spas and gyms, one could imagine a beefier version of Cassandra if forced into a more middle class environment.

The gentleman with her at the food court couldn’t keep his eyes off her radiant face and alluring body, the chic gray business attire didn’t hinder her womanly curves.

Cassandra snapped her fingers, “Are you paying attention?”

He blinked himself back to reality, ‘I’m sorry, you were saying?”

A crafty and cunning vixen, at only 24 years of age, Cassandra was as hard nosed about business as any male double her age. She flexed her eyebrows, “I don’t give a crap what the alderman wants, that area is prime real estate.”

“But Cassie”, the gentleman erroneously called her, “They’re thinking of using_.”

Cassandra loudly cleared her throat, “While you’re working for me it’s Cassandra or Ms. Wallington. Understand?”

The gentleman self-consciously exhaled , “I beg your pardon.”

Cassandra adjusted her blazer, then vehemently continued, “Whatever we were four years ago we’re not old college chums socializing on a whim, this is business. Our firm hires you to do PR work for us and we expect performance. You were saying?”

The gentleman gazed into her intense brown eyes, overcome with submission, he tilted his head, “Ah, um, I recognize your expectations and we have been in contact with the city. However it seems that as of last week, a senior citizen center and free clinic has been planned for the property. It’s doubtful that the Department Of Development would just give up the property and hand the deed over to you.”

Cassandra maneuvered her index finger slowly over the stem of her wine glass, “Is that correct? I’m talking about building several high rises and office buildings, the revenue of which would reap millions of dollars for the city in taxes alone. Free clinics and senior centers would be a quagmire of a burden, costing the city millions in lost revenue while being a breeding ground for the filth and lower class.”

The gentleman began to speak as Cassandra’s cell phone hummed to the tone of ‘The Ride Of The Valkeries.’

Cassandra held up hand to silence her guest as she diligently listened to the voice on the other end. After a brief span of time, Cassandra interrupted the caller, “Stop talking! Unless you want your butt in a sling, you better heed my words and do exactly as I tell you. Call Mr. Roth back, tell him that we’re going to foreclose on his assets unless he agrees to swing the deal to my advantage.”

Without uttering another word, Cassandra clicked off her phone and returned her attention to the gentleman, “Okay you little weasel this is what you’re going to do. This afternoon you’re going to call the Department Of Development and ask for Mr. Marshall. You’re going to offer Mr. Marshall an incentive payment. Not a bribe, that’s illegal. Just a gift to someone or something of his choice as a gesture of respect that can’t be traced. Not too steep but reasonable. If I know Alex Marshall like I think I do, he’ll cooperate but ask for more cash.”

The gentleman nodded, tossing his share of the bill on the table, he began to stand.

Cassandra directed him with her finger, “Not so fast, sit back down.”

Cassandra enjoyed a modest sip of wine, further instructing him after wiping her luscious lips with a napkin, “You’ll leave when I tell you to. As a safety net call the union hall and notify Patrick O’Shea that the city is thinking about using non union laborers to construct the senior center and clinic.”

The gentleman nodded his head, “Yes Cassandra, I’ll see to it.”

Cassandra dismissed him with a wave of her hand, though acknowledging his footwear as he walked away. “Mr. Campbell, I insist you purchase better shoes, that pair is far too casual for business.”

Cassandra enjoyed a parting sip of wine and glanced over the usual mall patrons with a derisive smirk. Removing herself from the table, she snared what cash Mr. Campbell had left before proceeding to cashier and taking care of the check. The humming of her cell phone caused her to pause as she walked out of the café, which she promptly answered.

Her voice rang with authority, “Don’t do a thing until I’m back at my office. I’m still at the mall, I have to pick up a gift for my cousin’s wedding. “Can you actually believe they’re holding the reception at the Holiday In_?”

Cassandra was engulfed by an uncomfortable sensation, inciting her to end the phone conversation, “Ah, I’ll call you back.”

Clicking off her cell, Cassandra slipped it into her Gucci purse, only to hear Libby’s voice, “You used a bad word Cassie, you should know better than to talk like that.”

Cassandra swung her head toward the café and flipped back her lustrous brown hair. She looked at the austerely dressed Goth whom she assumed was some sort of street person. , “How do you know my name? Oh, I see, you were eavesdropping on my conversation with Campbell. Are you looking for a handout?”

Libby teetered with her hands behind her back and taunted her target, “No, Cassie.”

Cassandra forehead crinkled as she commented in a strict tone, “That’s good, I don’t make a habit out of giving spare change to beggars. If a person can beg, they can find work, if not, there are several fine institutions to help the needy.”

“Sure are,” Libby replied, “Like that place that was moved. You remember?”

Cassandra did remember. The homeless shelter that was relocated to one of the most rundown districts in the city so her company could build a fitness club.

Cassandra was blunt, “The shelter was a frickin eyesore a few blocks away from an upper class neighborhood, it was put in a slum where it belonged.”

“They you go again, Cassie,“ Libby frowned, “Using bad language. You need to lighten up by visiting the arcade.”

Cassandra was baffled by the Goth Chick’s knowledge, besides being annoyed by the reproof of her grammar and the unwelcome and puzzling invitation.. She ignored the strange buzz of energy that zipped through her mind, followed by a web of indifference. This motivated Cassandra into entering the arcade as requested, Libby leading the way.

Crammed to it’s limit the arcade was a chorus of chaos, brimming with and teenagers, interpretations from every walk of life, but none attired as pretentiously as Cassandra. She twisted around a pair of college age girls, sneeringly locking eyes with them.

‘Watch it lady!” said one.

“She must think she’s at Bloomingdale’s”, snorted the other.

While in the horde, Cassandra was bumped into several times while her foot was stepped on at least twice. Her alluring brown mane was badgered while getting clipped by a chick’s beret, ruffling the delicate finesses.

Libby meanwhile dropped some quarters into a free machine and focused on the screen. “This game is fun! It’s called Duck’s Are Wild. You have to roam through this old haunted mansion and find all the ducks you can to get points. It’s a little hard, you have to fight monsters and spooks.”

Cassandra stood upright and straightened her blazer, “I’m sure it’s over the top amusing, but right now_.”

Libby interrupted Cassandra with a sonic blast of a chuckle, “Don’t you want to try it?”

Cassandra’s rigid stance crumbled as she focused on the game’s screen. An uncomplicated nonchalant disposition replaced Cassandra’s haughty demeanor, grinning as she flipped back her gorgeous brown mane, “Why not?”

Libby grabbed unto Cassandra’s blazer, “Help me off the stool, then you can have a try.”

Libby furthered explained while being hoisted off the stool, “It’s on level 4 which is kind of hard for first timers, just watch out for the trap doors and look for secret passageways.”

Cassandra pushed away the stool, “How difficult can this be? I’m an adult, I can do anything better than this freaky Goth.”

Dropping a bucks worth of change into the machine, Cassandra firmly situated her fingers over the control panel. The game soon consumed her attention, compromising her eye to hand coordination and causing her to perspire. Biting her lip, blinking at the rapidly moving characters and traps, attuned to the various sounds. Cassandra was profoundly mesmerized by this trivial form of entertainment.

“That blasted ogre just clobbered me!”, Cassandra loudly protested. Losing all her life points, she dug into her purse for more change, handing over her blazer and purse to Libby in the process.

“Hold on to these, I want to try again.”

Libby cordially smiled, “Sure, Cassie.”

Back unto the game, Cassandra did a little better, achieved more points, but was again defeated. Swiftly turning at her waist, Cassandra was about to ask Libby for her purse, but noticed that she had wandered off.

“Where did that Goth girl run off too?” she grumbled, but she still had some currency in her brassiere, kept there for emergencies. The eccentric chiming of the game enticed Cassandra for another round, if only to remedy her bruised ego, “This is a kid’s game, I can beat this.”

However, there was one minor hinge of prevention, “Wait! Libby has my purse.”

Cassandra glimpsed over at the game, then looked over to the young couple playing some game next to her. Scratching her head, Cassandra calmly though genuinely embarrassed ask the male, “Excuse me, I would really like to continue playing this game, but I’m all out of quarters.”

The female joined her companion as Cassandra continued, “The person I was with has my purse, I haven’t a clue where she ran off to, so perhaps you might be able to give me change or loan me a dollar?”

The young man lifted his head in defiance, “I don’t have enough small bills and coins to change a twenty and I don’t lend money to strangers, Novel approach, but go beg somewhere else.”

Cassandra cupped her hips, “Pardon me, I assure you that I’m not a beggar. The woman I’m with has my purse and I haven’t a clue where she is.”

The young maiden condescendingly giggled, “That’s an original story. Who is this woman? Your sister I suppose? Nice try, but we don’t con easy. Go share it with somebody else.”

Cassandra fired back, “I happen to be an extremely wealthy business woman!”

The male wrapped his arm around his girlfriend as she laughed, “I’m so sure!”

Her boyfriend noticed the now ill fitting and out of style clothes Cassandra was sporting, obviously a size or two too small, and chimed in, “You should give your sister back her second hand clothes and get a job.”

“You’re so not the secretary type, besides, I think clothes from a thrift store is more up your alley”, the girl chuckled. The couple resumed their game, ignoring Cassandra who drifted backward into the college kid now playing the Ducks are Wild game.

“Hey watch it loser!”, he snapped.

“I was just playing this game!”, Cassandra bellowed.

“I’m playing it now!”, he sternly remarked, “Find another game!”

Cassandra was unexpectedly shoved from behind, sending her into a group of kids, they naturally shoved her back. She proceeded through the mob, searching for Libby, thus far unaware of her disheveled appearance and expanding form. Cassandra wandered through the mob for as long as she could stand, the search proving futile, she slid her way out the door. Through the results of being shoved, pushed and stepped on were of a conspicuous magnitude. Cassandra’s ivory colored blouse had become crumbled, lost a button and even worse, while being smashed into the crowd, the blouse had acquired a small stain when someone inevitably spilled a little cola on her. Losing a heel as well, Cassandra hobbled to a bench and parked her duff.

“Oh fantastic, this just makes my day”, she harped while removing her shoes, “$75.00’s worth of shoes gone to crap.”

Cassandra closed the gap in her blouse, not noticing that her breasts had expanded by a cup size.”

Cassandra couldn’t exactly see her beautiful hair but it had seen better days. Her colorful locks were tangled in a manner that removed all but a trace of the elegance it brilliantly displayed before Cassandra had entered the arcade. It was not to be unexpected nor out of common order that Cassandra received her share of stares and whispers. Eventually Cassandra did detect the gawking patrons bustling by her.

“What are you looking at?”, Cassandra quietly told a couple of senior citizens. Same sneer with soft mumble. One old codger snapped, “If you want to look at something funny, turn around and look at your ass.”

Cassandra’s derriere was indeed straining the limits of what had been a skirt, now exposing the better part of somewhat fleshy thighs.

About this time two mall security officers happened on the scene.

7. Apr 26, 2012 #7

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Library Editor

“It’s about time you got here, I need some assistance”, Cassandra told them, referring to Libby. Then she added with brimming sarcasm, “I suppose you needed a break from the coffee and donuts.”

The male member of the mall security staff was tall and lanky with short red hair. One could tell, he was not too keen with Cassandra’s remark. The female officer was somewhat pudgy with her long blond hair tied in a ponytail and of Latin American descent. Moderately trim until her waist, Officer Lopez’s figure was delightfully pear shaped. Both officers were in their early twenties and produced an impression of no non-sense authority. The male, Officer Hale spoke first, “Miss, we need to have a few words.”

“Do you have any identification?”, Officer Lopez commanded in sync with her partner.

Cassandra lifted her body to stand. provoking Office Hale to command, “Stay in your seat miss, as long as you cooperate, this shouldn’t take long.”

Cassandra slid downward, Officer Lopez repeating her request for an ID. Cassandra clutched her thighs, “I don’t have my ID on me_.”

“You drove here?”, the male officer asked.

Cassandra shook her head, “Yes, but there’s a huge misunderstanding, you see_.”

“You drove here without a valid driver’s license?” Officer Lopez asked as she glanced over Cassandra.

Cassandra folded her arms over her bust, “Of course not, if you’ll just let me explain.”

“Go ahead miss”, Officer Hale obliged.

Cassandra drew a long breath, “This woman I was with has my purse_.”

Again Cassandra was interrupted, this time by Officer Lopez who couldn’t hold back her smirk, “Your companion took your purse?”

Cassandra exploded, “Will you let me finish!”

“Take it easy Miss, we can do this here or at the base. That’s all up to you, so be mindful of your attitude”, Officer Hale self-assuredly remarked.

Cassandra’s explanation was again disrupted by Officer Lopez, “What’s your name and address?”

Cassandra complied with the answer, Cassandra Wallington, 1212 West Mozart.”

Officer Lopez glimpsed over at her partner, “Isn’t that the wealthy district?”

Officer Hale’s responded with a nod, then turned to Cassandra, “Whose this woman you’re with?”

Cassandra’s annoyance ran heavily through her tone, “Promise you won’t interrupt me?”

Cassandra received point blank stares, but followed through with the information anyway, “I don’t know. All I know is that she knew my name after eavesdropping on a conversation, then maneuvered me into the Arcade and while I was engrossed in a game she disappeared with my purse.”

Confusingly the officers looked to each other, then continued with the interrogation.

“Is there anyone that can verify your name and address?”, Officer Lopez inquired.

Cassandra acerbically dictated, “Would you like a list in alphabetical order or by rank of importance?”

Officer Hale wasn’t the least bit amused by Cassandra’s sarcasm, “Watch the attitude young lady.”

Officer Lopez approached Cassandra, towering above her, cell phone in hand, “Is your mother or next of kin available?”

Cassandra’s pretty face twisted into perplexed frustration, “My mother or next of kin? You can’t be serious? Call my assistant, Jane Bryant, she’ll vouch for me.”

Office Lopez dubiously gazed over Cassandra while she conveyed the phone number. Cassandra watched as Officer Lopez slowly walked away as she dialed.

Office Hale ventured closer to Cassandra, “Once my partner gets a handle on your identity, we can clear this up and you can leave the mall.”

Cassandra furiously balked at the proposal, “I’m not leaving here until I get my purse back from that miscreant who took it.”

Officer Hale didn’t bother to comment, instead he patiently waited for his partner and the result of her phone inquiry. Office Lopez briskly strolled over to Officer Hale, “Okay, I spoke with Jane Bryant and she does know this young lady.”

“See, I told you!” Cassandra chirped, “Now help me find that woman! She has my purse and_.”

Cassandra’s vociferous chatter went ignored as Officer Lopez continued telling her partner, “Seems this young lady works part time as a file clerk. Some kind of community outreach program for high school drop outs.”

Cassandra was noticeably stunned, “That’s not true, I’m Jane’s boss.”

Office Lopez steered her head down to Cassandra, locking eyes with an uncompromising expression, “Quiet, you’re not to speak unless spoken to.”

Officer Lopez reeled her head toward Officer Hale, “Her name is Cassie Groton, she’s 20 year’s old, divorced after a brief teen age marriage that lasted four months, and now lives on the west side of the river. Her family has money and help her out, but she prefers being alone.”

Cassandra hopped to her feet, “The west side of the river? Are you crazy? That’s the Chatham district, nothing but low income housing and flop houses. I don’t live there!”

“Settle down”, Officer Hale warned her, “Another outburst and we’ll haul you off to the office and call the city police.”

“But I didn’t do anything wrong”, Cassandra protested.

“Sit your butt back down young lady”, Office Lopez picked up where her partner left off, “You’re creating a disturbance.”

“Do I really look like I’m twenty years old? Find that woman, you’ll be able to see my driver’s license, see my actual name, address and age.”

From a wayward corner, an agreeable voice chimed, “Pardon me officers, but I think I can rationalize this situation.”

Cassandra froze as her eyes focused on Libby. However, Libby was no longer dressed in her Goth attire. She was now a refined appearing woman in her early twenties, She was definitely plump but well kept. A pink frilly scarf kept her sandy brown hair up in a bubbly ponytail while her curly bangs decorated her pretty face. Her attire was now pink overalls over a striped T-shirt. There was a remarkable aura of poise as she virtually glided over to the public safety officers.

“I’m afraid I’m to blame for this little incident”, Libby warmly smiled, “I should have known better than to leave Cassie out of my sight for an extended duration of time.”

The officers were strangely enthralled by the congenial aura of Libby’s character.

“What has she done this time?”, Libby asked in a saccharine tone reminiscence of a mother taking the heat for an undisciplined child.

Officer Hale cordially explained, “She was causing a disturbance with her unruly behavior, mainly yelling insults at the customers.”

Libby dropped a shoe box at Cassandra’s feet then resumed her discussion with the officers, “I’m truly sorry. I was holding her purse but went to the powder room while she was engrossed in a game. It must have disoriented her to find me absent.”

Cassandra plopped back down on the bench, rendered speechless by the absurdity of the moment. Libby sighed as she persistently presented her apology, “I warned Cassie before we even left for the mall, she would have to be on her best behavior. As a favor to her parents I took her for new shoes. Cassie requires constant supervision due to her limitations, I kind of dropped the ball when I left her alone playing so confidently, but please understand?”

Libby cut a melancholy yarn with an empathetic warble, “Her landlady has her hands full, a single parent raising four other children while trying to manage part of a housing complex. Cassie is supposed to be helping her out in exchange for a room and free rent.

“Its hard.That’s why her mom has me try to help out by playing chauffer. I’m sure you can see my point? Cassie has an attention deficit disorder and can become disruptive whenever she feels deprived, but of course you know that. I’m awfully sorry.”

A wispy wave of consideration swept through the officers.

“I suppose we’ll let this incident slide”, Officer Hale announced.

Officer Lopez advised Cassandra, “Be thankful this young lady stepped in. You should try to emulate her, she’s an appropriate role model.”

8. Apr 26, 2012 #8

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Library Editor

Once the officers strolled away, Libby took her place alongside Cassandra on the bench, “Go on Cassie, try on your new shoes.”

Cassandra’s mouth dropped, her mind swiftly tried to embrace the event that had taken place.

Libby leaned over and removed the shoes out of the box, “Cassie, you really should stop living in a fantasy. I’m in charge of you this afternoon, so put on your shoes and we’ll grab some ice cream before we go back to the project. You certainly don’t want me having to report this to your mother? She’ll probably send you back to the analyst who’ll jusdt prescribe more meds.”

Cassandra deeply sighed, “I’ve been working too hard or I’m crazy?”

Libby pointed to the shoes, “Put them on now or no ice cream.”

Cassandra glanced over the shoes, a dingy white pair of Pay Less specials.

“What kind of cheap footwear are these?” Cassandra cringed.

“They cost almost $25.00’s“, Libby courteously noted, then snapped, “Put them on now!”

Cassandra wasn’t used to being ordered, but her self confidence broke like twig and she unwillingly obeyed even as uncharacteristic pangs of hunger surged through her belly.

“Fine”, Libby hummed.

“Not fine!”, Cassandra screeched, “This is all wrong, I give orders, I don’t take them. And my mother doesn’t think I’m loony tubes!”

Libby firmly gripped Cassandra’s hand, “You’re wrong, you poor thing. You have no control whatsoever, that’s why you need people watching over you. I’m responsible for you this afternoon and you’ll do what I say. Now, are you ready for your ice cream?”

The mounting altercation was quickly subsided by the brutal sense of helplessness on Cassandra’s part and a craving for the proffered treat.

Cassandra got up, then impulsively started to walk away, stopping when she caught her reflection in a mirror stationed at a boutique‘s entrance. Cassandra stood glued to her image, incoherently mumbling until Libby joined her. Cassandra’s facial features appeared younger, closer to twenty than twenty-four. Her wandering brown mane was a shade lighter, shorter as well, sculpturing her rounder face with fuller cheeks and a diminutive double chin.

The yellow with bold brown stripe around her waist T-shirt screamed of hand me down status and the faded blue jeans were equally recycled.

Cassandra couldn’t comprehend the changes to her body. Her once 32 B bust had expanded to a 36C, her waist and especially her hips had widened and there was a noticeable increase to the width of her thighs and butt. A protruding belly ruined the conformity of Cassandra’s clothing, stretching the fabric of the jeans, a silver of flab over the waistband, rendering her the impression of a hearty junk food diet.

“I do look frumpy and fat”, Cassandra whimpered.

“Aw Cassie, 158-pounds isn’t fat, but you do have your mom’s genes, so you’ll be there before you know it! Juist think of your brother.”, Libby happily divulged.

“My mother is not fat!”, Cassandra harped like an irritated teenager. “As for my brother, he’s a blimp and his fiancé is bigger than him! I’m a professional with an image to uphold.”

“Still pretending you’re something you’re not?”, Libby invoked with a sneer, “I don’t see a professional business woman in the reflection, do you?”

Cassandra rubbed the side of her face, “This doesn’t make sense?”

“Oh really?”, Libby replied just as a saleswoman strolled outside.

The stylish saleslady was at least thirty five, but reeked of ageless beauty and refinement. She glanced over the pair but centered her attention on Libby, “Would you girls like to come on? We’re having a sale on prom dresses.”

Libby took Cassandra by the hand, casually speaking for both of them, “Thank you so much, I appreciate you’re thoughtfulness. But I’m a freshman at Castle Town community college and Cassie dropped out of high school several years ago.”

The saleslady nodded her head, “I see. I surmise your friend couldn’t afford our apparel by any account.”

Just as a mother with daughter entered the shop, the saleslady wished Libby a good afternoon, subsequently following the customers.

Cassandra let loose Libby’s hand and backed away, “I’m not a high school dropout, I’m not. I went to college, I went to business school, earned a degree_.”

Cassandra’s thoughts then went bare, “I know I … I graduated from high school_.”

“What college did you go to?”, Libby asked, “When did you graduate high school?”

Cassandra’s height diminished by a few inches and her body widened. At five feet, six inches tall, Cassandra now had to look upward at the taller Libby, “I graduated, went to um, I don’t remember, but I gone to college.”

Cassandra’s vocabulary hit a dud as well, her sharp wits specifically dulled.

Libby sparkled in realism, “You’re mistaken, Cassie. You’re a 20-year old high school dropout.”

Cassandra hadn’t noticed but her figure now looked chunkier due to the loss of height, in particular her hips, butt and thighs. Libby swung her head from side to side, “You haven’t a clue?”

Spinning around, Libby assertively marched back to the mirror, Cassandra awkwardly followed.

“This isn’t possible!” she exclaimed, a panicked tone to her voice.

Libby smiled, “Look at you, huh?”

Cassandra was now clad in the pink overalls and striped T-shirt, her figure absolutely thicker was clearly pear shaped. Libby as well was attired differently, looking quite fetching in a green pocket T-shirt and figure hugging jeans. Libby’s mane was shaped into a market priced pageboy hairstyle, while Cassandra’s hair looked routine by comparison, clinging to the sides of her face and skimming the top of her shoulders.

Libby rubbed her chin, “You have that typical housing project look, bred in an impoverish environment, but there’s one detail missing.”

Cassandra adamantly disagreed, “I grew up in Greenleaf Heights, had servants_.”

While Cassandra ranted, her facial features lost the remainder of it’s former resemblance. Cassandra’s cheeks became fuller and somewhat doughy, her second chin, reasonably small seconds before was now quite conspicuous and her nose received a bulbous tip, granting her face the impression of Eastern European ancestry.

Other changes enhanced Cassandra’s body as well; her upper arms became mildly bigger and squishy, her protruding belly reached potbelly status and a plump roll engulfed her broad waist.

Cassandra Wallington might have been a captivating version of the feminine gender, but Cassie Gorton was a pretty yet common example of peasant stock descent.

Libby half grinned, “You grew up where?”

Cassandra blinked, completely dazed by her reflection, “I said I did not grow up poor, my big house was on, um, I’m not poor.”

“I’m sure of one thing, Cassie”, Libby insisted, “From the look of you, you really like ice cream, shall we?”

“No way!”, Cassandra screeched, “I’m fat enough.”

“You’re really fighting it, aren’t you?”, Libby sarcastically smiled.

Libby gently ran her hand up and down Cassandra’s back, and the cravings of Cassandra’s belly grew stronger.

“Think Cassie, think. Ice cream is a rare treat around your home, your mom might pick up a gallon every other month, but even then, it doesn’t last very long. If it was available more often, you could probably put a whole gallon away by yourself.”
    Libby proceeded to squeeze Cassandra’s pulpy mid section, “Fat enough? Does it really matter to you how much you weigh?”

Cassandra naturally disagreed, “Yes, well, er it should matter, shouldn’t it?”

Libby sunk her fingers into the flabby tissue that cushioned Cassandra’s waist, “No Cassie, it doesn’t. Besides your poor nutrition and terrible eating habits, your genetic background has conditioned you to be heavy.”

Libby giggled, “Anyway, if you think you’re fat now, just wait until you’re twenty five again.”

Cassandra twisted her beefy body away from Libby, “I’m um, not thinking you’re funny.”

Libby lifted her chin, her smile radiating a tranquil comfort, “Cassie, you do want ice cream, right?”

Cassandra silently rubbed her face as Libby repeated, “You do want ice cream, right? It’ll soothe your nerves and make you see things clearer.”

Cassandra swiftly blinked several times, just as the suggestion was humbling her appetite. Cassandra’s tubby tummy emitted a robust rumble to which Libby chimed, “I think so!”

Cassandra’s eyes widened as her inhibitions surrendered and she heard herself saying, “Ice cream would be super cool!”

Libby fastened her hand to Cassandra’s hand, chuckling loudly while leading her to the ice cream shop.

A short while later, Libby was sitting next to Cassandra at a routine ice cream shop.

“Feeling better?”, Libby asked while Cassandra was digging into her banana split.

Cassandra smiled, a stream of chocolate steadily flowing from her lips. Libby picked up the napkin and skillfully wiped the syrup off Cassandra’s chin, purring with assurance, “You’re going to have a fresh outlook on life.”

Cassandra paused between mouthfuls, an unexplainable sensation rummaged through her body.

“You still have a smidgen of your former mind left, so you’ll appreciate this”, Libby happily told Cassie.

Pausing far enough from the store’s entrance so not to be noticed, Libby pointed to a bench and the family situated there.

A mother was seated with two small children. The mother was enormously pregnant, clad in a yellow with brown trim maternity top and matching brown stretch slacks. Her chocolate brown hair dangled slightly above her shoulders, meticulously displaying her chubby moon shaped face and thick double chin that obscured much of her neck.

Easily in the 300-pound range, she promoted the impression of a female that had always been fat. Her children were exactly four and five years of age and she contently watched them sharing a comic book. Soon a tall, husky man with another child joined them. Shaved head and with a nicely trimmed goatee, there was a domineering yet sensitive quality to his character.

She lifted up her chin and as their eyes met, she warmly smiled, “Get everything okay?”

He gently rubbed her enormously round belly, “Everything except the socks, I think we’d get a better bargain at the dollar store.”

It took quite a bit of energy on his part, as he glided his lady to her feet, kissing her on the cheek before letting go of her hands.

“Juan”, her smile inflating her spongy second chin, “I’m worried, with the new baby, perhaps I should help out and get a job?”

Juan respectfully disagreed, “No sweetheart, we’ll manage okay. Public aid will allow us an increase in food stamps and if we need any extra cash, I can always deliver pizzas.”

Juan tenderly ran his fingers over her forearm, “All I expect from you is taking care of our children and looking after me.”

She unassumingly nodded, “Yes Juan, nothing makes me happier.”

Juan took a step forward, taking one of the children by the hand, “Okay Cassie, let’s stop off at Gonzalez’s Tacos on our way back to the apartment, I have a taste for a burrito.”

Cassandra looked up at Libby, “That’s me?”

Libby’s wavy hair bounced over her shoulders as she shook her head, “Yes Cassie. That’s you, years from now, right around the time you turn 30.”

Libby turned her head back to the family as they managed to roam out of sight, “You won’t be a successful business woman, but a successful housewife and mom. Though this time around your happiness will located in a kitchen instead of a board room.”

Cassie sniffled, “No Libby, I want my own, um, I mean my old life back.”

Libby scooted downward and wiped away the tear that decorated her cheek, “Now don’t be heartbroken. You’ll soon forget your previous life and grow up not knowing any difference.”

Libby hugged Cassandra, “Trust me, I wouldn’t lie to someone I just let be called my sister. And trust me, your brother will like you and your family just fine; he may even help you and Juan buy a house.”

As the shift in reality ceased, Cassie finished her ice cream. She was ready to go home and resume her filing clerk work the next day.

Meanwhile her former beau, Roger Campbell, and his new girl friend, Jane Bryant, were concluding an agreement for mixed use of property that would both benefit the local economy and avoid the relocation of worthy services such as the Senior Center and free clinic Cassandra had been trying to move out of her firm’s way.

Libby’s job with Albert’s sister was over, but there was still work at the mall for the Goth Chick to do.

(Click here for next chapter in this series)

9. Apr 26, 2012 #9

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Britt Reid

Library Editor

And with replacement of an age regression sub-plot not allowed under present rules a classic Alternate Reality series is restored to the Dimensions collection. The link above leads to a sequence of encounters that have been concurretly restored to the Multi-part story archive.