• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Getting a Dog

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZainTheInsane

Okay, I'm asking for some advice...

I want to get a dog, in fact I would like to get a specific kind of dog, and I've already researched and figured out which breed, and I also decided if I could get a dog who was rescued or up for adoption, I would...

Things you might need to know:
  • I am not getting the dog until I have a good steady job with a decent income
  • I am in my parent's house, and will be looking into apartment as soon as the above happens (looking for pet friendly apartments).
  • I have a girlfriend who will likely be over from time to time, and eventually might be a permanent live-in partner (if things go well).
  • I realize it might not happen due to my priorities and needs, but I want to be prepared if I have the chance
  • I do not want to end up neglecting the dog, AT ALL
  • I understand the responsibilities of a dog at a basic level, but I don't know a ton
  • The breed I want is a White German Shepherd Dog, be it mutt or pure, as long as it is healthy.
  • I'm 23, 5'11", 160 pounds, even tempered, and a definite DOG person
  • I want an intelligent and loyal dog who is protective of family and friends, but not so aggressive that it will attack someone who has no hostile intentions.
  • I have started running a significant distance in the mornings and am attempting to figure out how to do so BEFORE work.
  • I have just graduated college
  • I've had two dogs previously, both family owned. One didn't work so well for unfortunate reasons (poor puppy was too playful for my easily freaked out sister).
  • The other was an older dog, thus already trained. So I've never learned how to train a dog.

Note: I am willing to answer any questions I can on something I missed if it helps with my questions below.

My query is along the lines of whether anyone knows the answers to these questions of mine and is willing to help me out:
  • How young should I start training said dog?
  • What specific kinds of training are necessary?
  • Would it be wiser to get a big dog like I'm intending to, or a small dog?
  • How easy is it to 'potty train' a dog? And what is the term for that? Paper training?
  • Is there any advice you can give on the baby-young adult years of a dog's life?
  • What is required in the upkeep of a dog, enabling the dog to have a long and healthy life?
  • What kind of food would be best for a puppy? an adult dog? an older dog?
  • What is okay for a dog to eat, what isn't?
  • Any problems that might crop up because of the breed of dog I chose?
  • What is considered a 'reasonable' amount of space for a dog of this kind to play in?
  • Would it be better to keep the dog inside, outside, or both when I'm not around?
  • What is a good way to keep the dog in shape?
  • Would it be a good idea to get the dog BEFORE I get a full-time job so I can train it actively?
  • How much time is required for puppies, and for raising and training a dog?
  • Should I drop the puppy off with someone for the day if I work a 7-5, 9-5, or whatever shift job?
  • Is it possible to spoil a dog with too much attention?
  • Is it possible for a dog used to being the only dog to be okay with having another dog come into the house and live with me?
  • Honestly, how hard are the first few years?
  • What should I watch out for, and look for if I get a dog from an adoption center or farm, rather than from a breeder?
  • What should I look for period, when it comes to finding a dog that would be good for me?
  • And anything else I should or need to know when it comes to owning a dog?

Latest posts

Back