Goals Before We Hit 40....

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by largenlovely, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 #21

HottiMegan

HottiMegan

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek! In Remembrance

I just turned 34 so i have a few years but I really want to have a career that fulfills me by the time i hit 40. I'm late in the career game because I have spent the last 10 years being a mother to a medically special child. I am hoping that Alex wont need as much special care even though we suspect he has aspergers. I want to start a career in the biggest way but at the same time i have no idea what i want to be/do.
    My other 40 year old goal is to get into good enough shape to be in tae kwon do like Max and the hubs.

2. Aug 2, 2012 #22

largenlovely

largenlovely

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol DimensionsModel

I can relate to this post.

I would like to get in good enough shape to box though. I wish I could do kickboxing and softball but the docs told me with a prosthetic hip, I wouldn't be able to do those but I could box I bet. There's footwork involved but a lot of it is upper body and just being in shape.

3. Aug 2, 2012 #23

HottiMegan

HottiMegan

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek! In Remembrance

Yeah, at this point, there's no way i could do the classes without risk of injury. Lots of jumping and running and push ups.. I am contemplating getting the couch to 5k program to help me get in shape for starting martial arts. It looks like so much fun beating the crap out of a bag and using sticks to hit each other. (well you're supposed to block)

4. Aug 2, 2012 #24

largenlovely

largenlovely

largenlovely

And not to mention therapeutic lol...talk about an awesome way to work out life's frustration lol

I go to the gym. It has taken some time, but I can walk for 30 minutes at a relatively brisk pace. I do the Elliptical too. When I first got on that death trap, I had to stop every 30 seconds to catch my breath lol. I'm now up to being able to go 7 minutes without stopping. It happened pretty quickly too. I was actually surprised at how quickly I progressed but I have been persistant with it. I get on that bad boy almost every day lol

I will download an audio book, listen to music or read a magazine and the time will go by pretty quickly. Eventually, ya get to where you like the exercise. I never ever thought I would say that lol but at first it's a sumbitch lol

Just wanted to add that I do take lots of breaks lol. 15 mins of walking...break...Then 15 mins on the Elliptical...break lol...repeat process

5. Aug 2, 2012 #25

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

Poster formerly known as lovelylady78

I've met a lot of the goals I set for myself already...I've met ALL of the professional goals I've set for myself, actually...but the older I get, the more I know that I want to get married and have children. To me right now in my life, that's what really feels undone.

6. Aug 3, 2012 #26

toni

toni

toni

In the know

Try to figure ish out :eek:

7. Aug 4, 2012 #27

Blackhawk2293

Blackhawk2293

Blackhawk2293

Still tired of life

I try to avoid making age related goals but the one goal I do have is that I want to be in a position where I work part time to look after the financial obligations and spend the better part of the week being the free lance artist that I've always wanted to be.

8. Aug 4, 2012 #28

tinkerbell

tinkerbell

tinkerbell

I just turned 31, and I don't have a list really mapped out yet, but there are a few things that I assume that I will accomplish before I'm 40.

I started school last year, and have about 3 years left in my program, so that is something I will accomplished in my 30s.

I also have some weight loss goals that I hope to meet in the next couple of years.

I have fitness goals that I hope to accomplish as well. I want to finish my first marathon this year, and am signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I ran my first half marathon in May this year, and I hope to continue to improve my time.

I just want to enjoy my 30s much more than I enjoyed my 20s.

9. Aug 4, 2012 #29

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Partially, it's the pleasure of thumbing your nose at the style police. As I near 75 y.o., the concept of 'age appropriate apparel' has lost all meaning for me. This summer, I discovered those wonderful CG(?) Champion workout tee shirts in rather shocking colors. Great for biking or just wandering around on a hot day. Wish I could get one with a picture of a guy thumbing his nose.

A few years ago, I picked up a polo in a golf pro shop. Mrs Ho Ho said, somewhat disdainfully, that it made me look "like a 70 y.o. golfer". Now I take that as a compliment.

tee shirt[​IMG]

10. Aug 5, 2012 #30

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

I have 2 goals before I hit 40.

1. To finish my MBA, which I started a year ago. I'm going half-time because I work.
    2. To find a guy. All the guys I have dated have been the wrong one. It would be nice to find the right one before I hit 40.

11. Aug 11, 2012 #31

Corwynis

Corwynis

Corwynis

I just turned 30 in July, so I have 10 years to accomplish my goals. :happy:

Mine are to complete my degree, have a successful relationship, and start a family.

12. Aug 11, 2012 #32

escapist

escapist

escapist

Belt Buster!

Is this like the Gene and the 3 wishes? Can I say I want to learn how to stop aging before I hit 40? :p I have a B-Day coming up and don't have much time to stop this from happening.

13. Aug 11, 2012 #33

Blackhawk2293

Blackhawk2293

Blackhawk2293

Still tired of life

Only if you promise to dedicate your life to researching it. LOL

14. Aug 11, 2012 #34

largenlovely

largenlovely

largenlovely

Lol I feel your pain. I will be 38 in a few weeks and hate to even think about it. Turning 30 was somewhat traumatizing but now 30 looks fantastic lol...40 is gonna freak me the fuck out lol

15. Aug 14, 2012 #35

FAinPA

FAinPA

FAinPA

This Darkness Got to Give

I'll be 39 in two weeks. I have a ton of external goals, high on the list is the Pirates maintaining their place in the NL standings for seven more weeks and getting into the playoffs for the first time since I was a college sophomore.
    But my internal goals, wow. My personal life the last two years has been...well, the quickest, least-disclosing way to describe it is that I have two really close friends and a psychiatrist telling me I need to write a book. And I am generally not prone to hyperbole, so it's been kind of daunting. I like lists of four, so here goes:

1) Remain sober (two years today), and expand my recovery to other facets of life

2) Decide among the following next moves on my life's chess board: A) settle down here (Pittsburgh), land a solid, career-advancing job OR B) earn an MS in Library/Info Sciences (most likely at Pitt) and start work as an archivist, a research librarian or any suggested ways I could optimize such a degree OR C) satisfy my id by going all minimalist, up and moving on to a place or places I've, not necessarily wanted to visit in a tourist capacity, but rather pitch my tent for an indefinite amount of time (I've been enamored with Trieste lately); sub-goals of which could be learning a new language or languages and maybe getting serious about writing projects

3) Get up to Cleveland for the Rock Hall's expansive Grateful Dead exhibit, which is featured through this December.

4) Do some potentially hazardous whitewater rafting in nearby West Virginia

Obviously, accomplishing these would be most difficult in the next 54 weeks, but if I'm on a clear path by next August and have direction, discipline and consistency in my life as a whole, finishing things I start, I'll hopefully regain some lost happiness.

16. Aug 14, 2012 #36

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

Poster formerly known as lovelylady78

I definitely recommend the rafting! That's something we get right down here. :)

FAinPA likes this.
  17. Aug 19, 2012 #37

rickydaniels

rickydaniels

rickydaniels

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.daniels.bbw.pin.up.
    Publish a graphic novel!

18. Aug 19, 2012 #38

largenlovely

largenlovely

largenlovely

I'm gonna add to my list. I would like to be In a position to start giving private music lessons again.

I started playing my clarinet again last year. I joined the local pops band and we practice once a week and give concerts around the city and for city events. That was a start. I'm at least a little less rusty than I used to be.

19. Sep 26, 2012 #39

ritz

ritz

ritz

Turned 38 this year would like to visit Africa and the Fiji Islands

20. Sep 29, 2012 #40

samuraiscott

samuraiscott

samuraiscott

True Story

I have had a bad year so far. I don't think I will think about goals again until next year.