How fat is too fat to fly coach ?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

FlabbyFrank

I'm 6" and 330, haven't flown in at least 10 + years, was probably like 250 or so then , and it sucked just going NY to Vegas, just being a mere 6" tall is enough to be uncomfortable, being fat compounds the situation !

I never want to fly again !

1st class or 2 seats is prohibitively expensive.

any thoughts ?

Barbsjw

Roger (6'1, 380) hasn't had to fly recently, but I expect it to not be a pleasant experience for him.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Being 5"9 & about 330 lbs I fly across Europe and neighboring countries about 3 times each year.

Flight duration is between 3 and 5,5 hours.
Always economy class. (distance between seats about 77 cm - 2"6 when I converted correctly - anyway - not much legroom)

I am usually asking directly when entering the aircraft for a seat belt extension.
I pre-book seats at window or aisle, I ask cabin crew for re-seating when flight isn't fully booked and empty seats are available.
[edit: sometimes the person sitting next to me asks for that before ;) ]

Pre-booking of an additional seat is an alternative too. Most companies offer this.
I would only recommend to do so when fares are low - otherwise it is way too expensive- that means booking early or/and choose flights with low demand. (for example not the best departure times, not high season flights - all depends on local or regional circumstances)

Is it comfortable to fly in my Dimensions?
No, it isn't.

But I want to go and see the world and its different places and cultures - therefore I neccesarily need to use this mean of transport, even if it is quite uncomfortable to get to my destination.

Last edited:

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
Check the airlines policies on two seat requirement, and if the reimburse the cost. I also think you would be able to do the one seat if it was on a bigger plane like an airbus. There are so many factors these days.

Am Jim

Check the airlines policies on two seat requirement, and if the reimburse the cost. I also think you would be able to do the one seat if it was on a bigger plane like an airbus. There are so many factors these days.
Airbus 319,320,321 are 7.5"'wider than the 737,757. It does make a difference.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Airbus 319,320,321 are 7.5"'wider than the 737,757. It does make a difference.
Even if certain aircraft types are wider than others it still depends on the different seating configuration. For example: for B737/8 it is quite common to have 180, 186 or 189 seats.
Whatever the win in width is will probably result in a loss of legroom.

[edit=typos..]

Last edited:

Shotha

DM Supporter
I relieved that I'll probably never fly again. I have enough trouble with seats in theatres and cinemas. I can't even find garden chairs in my size.

Orchid

The last time I travel in airplane I was way younger in my 30s, much smaller size then 91 kg bbw and allthough I snugly fit into seat and the seatbelt luckily closed by 0.5 cm luck was uncomfortable not nice.

op user

Regarding seat/aircraft width: A318-321 were designed to have seats up to an inch wider than Boeing 737. However companies mainly low-cost carriers may decide and they do to have a wider aisle (and obviously narrower seats) to speed up embarkation/disembarkation. Regarding leg-room you are to the airline and your fellow passengers. They accept a denser configuration in exchange for a lower fare and the airlines are happy to provide it.

I prefer to fly on "normal" airlines (with Airbus aircraft and wider seats) and so far I didn't have a chance to travel with a SO large enough to need a seat extender.

Last edited:

Skye23

If I ever travel by 'plane again, I'm looking forward to the pleasure of having to ask for extra belt.
I had to do it on my last overseas trip and my last domestic trip. I'm 5'3" and while I've lost a bit of weight lately due to a medical condition I'm still 280+. I usually book a window seat for myself so I can have the shoulder room. I knew in advance both times that I'd be asking for the belt. Between the 2 trips, and the 6 flights it took I honestly had no problems. When I boarded the plane and went to my seat I made sure to speak to one of the flight attendants stationed in the cabin. I admit, I was worried the first time but there wasn't any way around it. I made sure I looked the stewardess right in the eyes, beamed a bit smile at her and just said "Hello, I just wanted to mention that I'll be requiring a seat belt extension in order to securely buckle myself into my seat as required. If you could bring me one whenever you get a spare moment I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!" Every single flight - same reaction. The attendent - male or female, smiled back at me and in a slightly hushed tone of voice told me they'd be happy to get me one asap. Usually they'd come over and pull it out of a pocket and just hand it to me wrapped up. Once or twice they'd hand me a magazine with it underneath. I know they were trying to be sensitive, even though I'd addressed them in a completely normal volume with the attitude that my request was no different then wanting a pillow or something else that's provided. I appreciated the effort even if I didn't require it. I mean its not like I don't know I'm fat - and so does everyone else.

I also found that whichever one I asked tended to check on me frequently and would sometimes slip me extra snacks or bring me a bottle of water etc. I think they get abused so much that honestly they're thrilled for someone to be nice to them. They also know what its like to be infinately judged for your physical attributes and to be critizied if you deviate away from a standard. Whenever my flight was over I made sure to unclip the extension and roll it up and then hand it back to them so they didn't have to look for it, and of course thank them. I happened to get the same attendent on both my departure and return flight on one trip and when she saw me board the plane she waved and greeted me and told me she'd be over shortly with my blanket, and then gave me a big smile and a bit of a wink. And she was, with the belt inside along with a nice healthy snack.

op user

@Skye23 and @DazzlingAnna and how else has used a seat-belt extension (mainly DA would answer that because of her two-fold) experience. Is the seat belt extenderthe the same as the one used by mothers to hold their babies.

A short explanation: When a parent travels with a child on their lap airlines are required to give a seat belt that holds kid attached to the parents belt. It is an extender with a loop attached to it and this loop is attached to the parents seat belt.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
@Skye23 and @DazzlingAnna and how else has used a seat-belt extension (mainly DA would answer that because of her two-fold) experience. Is the seat belt extenderthe the same as the one used by mothers to hold their babies.

A short explanation: When a parent travels with a child on their lap airlines are required to give a seat belt that holds kid attached to the parents belt. It is an extender with a loop attached to it and this loop is attached to the parents seat belt.
@op user
Actually I didn't pay much attention on the seat belt extension and if it was with the baby loop or a different one. I used to go on 3 trips by plane each year, means 6 legs, and I had this extension on every of these 6 flights. I think it usually is not the same like the one for babies.
I only remember that it was a mess to travel with an infant concerning seat belt extensions. I had my extension plus the baby loop.... I should have taken a picture of that 😂
Child wasn't amused as well. Decision between mom and no space left due to big belly or much space but no mom - everyone can imagine what decision finally was made 🙄

@Skye
I agree with the window seat.
And I have made the experience that asking for the seat belt extension when boarding is no big deal for the cabin crew. Very nice of you to hand it back right after the flight. I should do that too. My "service" concerning this is to tell them my seat number when getting out of the plane.

op user

@Skye23 and @DazzlingAnna if you decide to be both nice to cabin crew members and return them the extender, I have read a comment by the crew that it would be nice if you put the main seat belt in the way you found it (both pieces meeting each other in the front part of the seat) to help with the aircraft turn-around operation. Even one or two seats it is a nice gesture. I do it very time.

Difficult decisions Dazzling Anna and from an aviation perspective one not envisage by seat designers and regulators.

BTW I guess you know that on full service airlines the front rows offer better leg-room.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
I'm curious how my upcoming experience is going to go.
I was supposed to fly to Long Island from South Carolina back in March for a week-long training session for work, on American Airlines.
We ended up canceling because the trip was for March 20-24, a week after the COVID situation started heating up in NYC.
So we'll have to wait until things get more normal...

But, the largest I've ever been for a flight was back in the late 90s when I flew out west (to visit a friend from here, actually), and I don't remember it being too much of a hassle (I was 240 on the flight out there; 250 on the return). I'm 5'10".

I currently weigh 333 pounds, so significantly fatter. I didn't book the flight initially; that was handled by my co-worker travel companion, and probably will be again when we get the trip re-scheduled, so I don't know what questions they asked him, if any. I imagine I'll have to find out what the situation is when I board the plane, unless the boarding agent raises any concerns when s/he sees me.
I'm kinda hopin' I can squeeze into one seat, without an extender; otherwise, I'll never hear the end of it at work.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I was supposed to fly to Long Island from South Carolina back in March for a week-long training session for work, on American Airlines.
We ended up canceling because the trip was for March 20-24, a week after the COVID situation started heating up in NYC.

But, the largest I've ever been for a flight was back in the late 90s when I flew out west (to visit a friend from here, actually), and I don't remember it being too much of a hassle (I was 240 on the flight out there; 250 on the return). I'm 5'10".

I currently weigh 333 pounds, so significantly fatter. I didn't book the flight initially; that was handled by my co-worker travel companion, and probably will be again when we get the trip re-scheduled, so I don't know what questions they asked him, if any. I imagine I'll have to find out what the situation is when I board the plane, unless the boarding agent raises any concerns when s/he sees me.
I'm kinda hopin' I can squeeze into one seat, without an extender; otherwise, I'll never hear the end of it at work.
I fly with 5'9 and about 330 lbs - carrying on belly, thighs & butt.

(Well I also do all other things in life with that weight too obviously ;))

No one ever raised any concerns when checking in.

Shh! Don’t tell!

I’ve flown next to someone about your size. It was a little cramped but not a problem.

op user

I am not in your size but I enjoy to watch and have taken an interest on how airlines operate to semi-professional level. Obviously not experience in the field like other people here. However I recall a previous thread about spending some time to read how the airline you are traveling with copes with large pax (passengers or size ). This is to put you at ease with the legal framework. However as I spend a lot of time in aviation fora what people in the industry are aiming for is "on time" departures. So all the line of workers from check in agents to gate staff is to handle any issues as quiet as possible and try to send pax on the way rather that delay them. As other people said even if they want to raise an issue they would do it towards sending you on your way.

DazzlingAnna and the other European readers might be aware of those Friday evening Majorca/Ibiza flights where a serious control of pax would see the aircraft taking off half empty... I think the term used is hen and stag flights. And being a boring person I never joined such a flight.

So I feel you would be on your destination before you realize it.

(Well I also do all other things in life with that weight too obviously ;))
And that's the statement the interest of this thread takes off!

Latest posts