Makeup Tips and Ideas!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

sweetfrancaise

Hi!!!
This not a make up question, more of a skin question. Is there anything you guys can recommend for redness and acne produced by stress. All the things I am used to using for it is not working. I am having a tough time getting rid of it which is creating more stress and more irritation. -_- ugh.
I had a really bad time with acne all through high school and beyond. When I finally started weaning myself off salicylic acid face washes, I finally saw a real difference. First I used Burt's Bee's, starting with their orange scrub and then moving to the soap bark cleanser. Eventually, I realized my skin was too sensitive even for that, so I took a risk and started using what granny uses, cold cream. Seriously, my complexion is all peaches and cream now! And it's cheap. Thing is, you have to let your skin get all the nasties out before your skin clears up. That takes patience and days where you feel like a monster, but it doesn't last too long. I've come to the conclusion that what I was doing when I was younger, with all the dermatologist's prescriptions and such, was completely eradicating everything my skin needed so it was overcompensating. And then I'd get horrendous cystic breakouts.

Using cold cream probably isn't for everyone, but I think less is more when it comes to skin care (and hair, for that matter--I stopped using shampoo years ago and just use conditioner, but since my hair is naturally curly it needs all the intensive moisture I can give it). I convinced my mom to start using it when she went menopausal and her skin became a lot less oily. Be gentle with your face and hopefully things will clear up!

MzDeeZyre

Fatty McFatCakes
Hi!!!
This not a make up question, more of a skin question. Is there anything you guys can recommend for redness and acne produced by stress. All the things I am used to using for it is not working. I am having a tough time getting rid of it which is creating more stress and more irritation. -_- ugh.
I recently purchased a Clarisonic Mia, to try and get a more even skin tone. I have had roseacea type symptoms and spot breakout ( from stress ) I use it twice a day to wash my face, and in the last month I have noticed a huge change in my skin texture and color.

I now have very soft, and well moisturized skin. No more red splotches, and no more spot breakouts. I've been using the Philosophy brand cleansers with the Clarisonic.

I've also started using the L'Oreal Youth Code Day/Night Cream as a moisturizer. The combination of these things had helped SO much!!

Carrie

I developed rosacea earlier this year, and I am absolutely loving Skyn Iceland's products especially for redness and irritation. I use the Glacial face wash, the antioxidant calming serum, the "Antidote" daily face lotion (daytime) and the oxygen infusion night cream. It's the only line (of what feels like hundreds I tried this past year) that doesn't cause me to flush after application, and now the only time I flush is when I'm hot, have exerted myself, or I'm wicked embarrassed (hah!). The little papules are gone, too. The line isn't cheap, unfortunately, but I find that I get a decent amount of use out of each product, and I get it from Sephora where I can build up my VIB points, etc.

I love my Clarisonic Mia for cleansing, too, but I use the "gentle" brush (even softer than the sensitive), and it doesn't cause any irritation, thankfully.

I've also found a toner I love, one that doesn't have witch hazel (tends to irritate rosacea), "now solutions"' (aka now foods) vitamin C & acai berry purifying toner. It's gentle and refreshing and smells amazing. LOVE it.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I've been considering getting the Clarisonic Mia but had reservations because I have mild rosacea and don't want to make it worse so I'm really glad you two are giving good reviews on it.

I also can vouch for Josie Maran's Argan oil products. I use the 100% pure oil on my face, cuticles and ends of my hair.

Carrie

I've been considering getting the Clarisonic Mia but had reservations because I have mild rosacea and don't want to make it worse so I'm really glad you two are giving good reviews on it.

I also can vouch for Josie Maran's Argan oil products. I use the 100% pure oil on my face, cuticles and ends of my hair.
Originally I was using the sensitive brush with the Mia and using it twice a day, and that did seem to aggravate redness for me. Since switching to the gentle and using it once a day (sometimes twice, but usually once), all is well.

Re. the argan oil: I actually tried the pure argan oil (albeit a different brand) on my face earlier this year and didn't really care for it - if I got it near my eyes it stung like crazy and I didn't see any difference in my skin quality - but I love this SPF lotion with it. I guess I just do better when the argan oil is a bit diffused.

1love_emily

COLLEGE
Can someone help me? I have a question!

Now that I've got your attention...

I have pretty chubby cheeks and pretty thick glasses. I feel like my eyes often disappear into my face (My friends call me a happy Asian when I laugh, because my eyes go away!). I'm trying to mess with eye makeup that will make my eyes pop more from behind my classes and cheeks. Any recommendations?

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Re. the argan oil: I actually tried the pure argan oil (albeit a different brand) on my face earlier this year and didn't really care for it - if I got it near my eyes it stung like crazy and I didn't see any difference in my skin quality - but I love this SPF lotion with it. I guess I just do better when the argan oil is a bit diffused.
I'm really choosy about brands esp with oils because they can be harsh. I've also tried Adrienne Vittadini's Signature Club A argan products and like them as well. No redness or irritation there either.

PhatChk

I have pretty chubby cheeks and pretty thick glasses. I feel like my eyes often disappear into my face (My friends call me a happy Asian when I laugh, because my eyes go away!). I'm trying to mess with eye makeup that will make my eyes pop more from behind my classes and cheeks. Any recommendations?

hope this help ^_^ http://youtu.be/D-zuO2v5VFA

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

One thing that's been helpful for me is I don't line my water line. It's a nice look ordinarily but my eyes are so small that lining the water line makes them look even smaller. This might be helpful to you too. I try to smudge a little liner just under my lower lash line and only part way in. It really helps my eyes open up.

Carrie

I'm really choosy about brands esp with oils because they can be harsh. I've also tried Adrienne Vittadini's Signature Club A argan products and like them as well. No redness or irritation there either.
I liked her vitamin C and retinol capsules, but nothing else of hers - I found her creams very heavy in texture and scent. I do have a very weird fascination with her (Adrienne V), though. When I'm flipping channels and she's on HSN I literally cannot change the channel. I don't know what it is; she's just kind of very subtly wacky in a compelling, weirdly entertaining way. She makes such a big deal of using senior women as models, I kind of wonder when she's going to be like, "Oh my god, this woman is so fucking old! But I'm using her as a model anyway. Look at those wrinkles, they're like the Grand damn Canyon! But I'm not afraid to use her as a model." Heh. :happy:

JoyJoy

What primer would you recommend?

What firming cream or gel would you recommend?

Your input is greatly appreciated, ladies. Thank you. :)
I had thin lids too and they were starting to sag a bit, and I could not get shadow to stay on for more than a couple of hours....so I went with cheap primer from Wal Greens just because I happened to be there and wanted to try something. Turns out I made a great choice. I got Maybelline Age Rewind Primer for $7, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made, make-up wise. It feels wonderful going on, my shadow stays on all day, and has made significant changes in the appearance of my lids.

EvilPrincess

Awesome video for us glasses-wearing chicks. :D Plus, that girl is totally gorgeous. :D
I have been trying the liquid eyeliner on the inner corner of the top eyelid. Seems to work, I even got a compliment on it from a stranger. I am now waiting on white eyeliner to get here.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I liked her vitamin C and retinol capsules, but nothing else of hers - I found her creams very heavy in texture and scent. I do have a very weird fascination with her (Adrienne V), though. When I'm flipping channels and she's on HSN I literally cannot change the channel. I don't know what it is; she's just kind of very subtly wacky in a compelling, weirdly entertaining way. She makes such a big deal of using senior women as models, I kind of wonder when she's going to be like, "Oh my god, this woman is so fucking old! But I'm using her as a model anyway. Look at those wrinkles, they're like the Grand damn Canyon! But I'm not afraid to use her as a model." Heh. :happy:
She mesmerizes me too and while I find her makeup products waaaaay too moisturizing and heavy, the things you've mentioned as well as a few creams and gels I do like.

I know what you mean about her using older models but you're right--she's really wacky and entertaining.

liz (di-va)

I haven't experimented that much with no-wrinkle stuff, although I am finding that I think I need More (moisturizing, etc.). Cause of me age & all (also because of winter).

I wanted to say, though, that I really like this stuff: Garnier Nutritioniste Ultra-Lift Anti-Wrinkle Firming Night Cream. My skin is so soft the next morning after I use it. Pretty great. Can sometimes find very good drugstore sales on it.

MeltzNyoMouf

Sashas a beauty queen. Shes one of the few who dont really NEED any makeup. Always a pleasure to see

The green is cute though. Im gonna try out some new makeup ids myself for a shoot.

Latest posts