moving across the country

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

JenFromOC

Awesome.
It's hard to move 3000 miles away. I moved for my significant other as well, and was fortunate enough to find a job in Pearl Harbor. 22 months from now, we are moving to Nebraska lol. Good luck, Bearsy!

bigpulve

Nebraskas not so bad.

wait yes it is.

I wan to move to Pennsylvania for a girl.

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
I moved from Philly to Los Angeles and it was pretty painless.

It's pretty cheap if you can fedex or UPS your essentials, brings your laptop/carryon with you on the plane, and hit up ikea for some cheap furniture/lamps/desks when you get there.

I didn't drive, so I had to make it as simple as possible.

Are you taking a car there? If so, that'd be even easier. Just load the thing up and stay at some cheap motels along the way.

I got homesick like the first night I was there, but, aside from that, the transition was really easy. I highly suggest everyone do this at some point in their life because it's really freeing.

NoWayOut

I sincerely do not know one person who has moved across the country or out of state that wasn't for a significant other. Doesn't anyone relocate for a job or to be close to family anymore? lol
That's all I've moved for, and I've done it three times. Moved to Missouri from Virginia for college, moved to Idaho for a job, moved to Iowa for a different job.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=92401372,
I am a "moving away from somewhere" expert, haha! Grew up in San Diego, and since turning 18 I've lived in Charleston, SC, Tulsa, OK, Pensacola, FL, Memphis, TN, and now Minneapolis, MN. Not to mention the year I spent traveling in Japan. Like Lee Marvin said in "Paint Your Wagon", I was born under a wanderin' star, haha!

First, all the tips on here have been GREAT! But my number one piece of advice is prepare yourself mentally. If this is the first time that you're going to be away from (1) your hometown, and (2) your family, then get ready for an extended adjustment time during your first few months. I've never been a shy or timid person, so when I first moved away a few months after I turned 18, I didn't fully appreciate the magnitude of what this move really meant. As a result, I'd say that for my first two or three months it was really hard to adjust. I had come from from a place where I had a ton of friends, I hung out with people everyday, and where I was close to my family. When I moved, it took a while before I developed the same level of friendship with other people, which of course is natural.

So, I recited all of that simply to illustrate my point, and to give you these two critical pieces of advice. (1) make these last few months in your hometown AMAZING! If and when you move, things change. Your friends from back home will still be great friends, but it's different when your living on the other side of the continent and aren't around each other every day. That goes for your family as well. Simply put, if you move, then you won't be in these peoples lives everyday, so make this time count! (2) BE ACTIVE! Wherever you move to, don't stay still for your first couple of months. Break open the culture section of the magazine and find something to do everyday! Do this and you will meet a whole ton of awesome people, who will grow to be great friends, and thereby create a whole new support system of folks in your new town. Simply stated, DON'T BE SHY! Living in new places is an amazing way to grow as a person, so it's great that you're doing this! Just don't underestimate what it it is you're leaving, and more directly to the point, WHO it is that you're leaving behind!

Good luck and happy traveling!!!!

samuraiscott

True Story
I am moving two hours away and I am dreading it, simply because of who I will be living with. Makes me want to move further north, which I had planned on doing anyways, sooner rather than later. I have never lived above the Mason Dixon Line; it will be an experience to say the least.

SanDiega

I moved from Philly to Los Angeles and it was pretty painless.

It's pretty cheap if you can fedex or UPS your essentials, brings your laptop/carryon with you on the plane, and hit up ikea for some cheap furniture/lamps/desks when you get there.

I didn't drive, so I had to make it as simple as possible.

Are you taking a car there? If so, that'd be even easier. Just load the thing up and stay at some cheap motels along the way.

I got homesick like the first night I was there, but, aside from that, the transition was really easy. I highly suggest everyone do this at some point in their life because it's really freeing.
It always helps to have a stunningly beautiful FFA awaiting your arrival ;)

Rojohnson

I just moved for the first time from my home town 2 months ago, I wanted to get away before i was too old to do so.So far its worked out, found an awesome job that i love. Ohh and because i don't know anyone yet i found dimensions. I moved to fayetteville,ar because the economy is awesome here. The only suggestion i can give you is save what ever you think its going to cost you and then like 40% more. Sometimes you dont find that job right away.