• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

My Favorite Family Recipe!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger

I've been wanting to share this for a while, my favorite family recipe of all time. It truely is a family recipe, it started from just two ingredients, and we added more through the years. It's just about perfect, maybe you can give me some suggestions on what to add next!

We call it "Sausage Soup" but it's really a chowder-esqe meal in a bowl, very filling!

When I cook, I cook in "a little of this, a little of that" so my measurements aren't exact. Play with it till you reach perfection. I always make it by huge pots because it goes so fast, so get your biggest boiling pot ready!

You will need:

1 average size bag of potatoes, peeled and sliced into 2 inch chunks. (I prefere russet, don't use redskin or firm potatoes, the potatoes have to break down and form the tick base, so the softer the potatoe the better.)

1 onion, chopped

2 packages of smoked sausage (this is one rare occasion that I would say name brand items work better than the "store" or "generic" brand, the soup just turns out better if you use a quality sausage, I prefere to use Eckridge plain smoked sausage. Don't use kielbasa, turns out funny)

1 can of corn

1 pkg, or 24 slices of regular yellow american cheese

1 slight dash of Mrs. Dash table blend (or you can substitute with garlic powder and your other favorite spices, just don't add anything sweet)

Fresh groud pepper to taste

Peel & cut your potatoes, not TOO small or else they will all disappear, but small enough to cook in a decent amount of time. Chop your onion. Put both in a LARGE stock or boiling pot.

Do not add too much water! The amount of water depends on how much potatoes & onions you have, so put your potatoes & onions in a pot and add about 2 inches of water above the "potatoe line" If you add too much your soup will be too watery, add too little and your soup might burn. I would rather add not enough, because you can always add more water afterwards.

Cook on high heat, you want these to boil. Add your spice at this point. Remember, your water is going to be soaking into your potatoes and boiling down, so don't add too much spice.

While your potatoes & onions are cooking cut up your sausage! Slice your sausage down the middle, length ways. So you have two long pieces, then cut 1/2 inch slices. This will ensure your sausage cooks correctly and releases the yummy juices!

Check your potatoes! If they are mushy and starting to break down go ahead and add your sausage. Boil that some more until your sausage is almost cooked.

Add the can of corn, mix in well.

You know when you are done if your potatoes are very mushy and some have broken down into a thick base, and if you sausage has a "pucker" If you don't cook it long enough it might not taste right, so I'd rather over cook it just to be sure, the longer your cook it the thicker it will be too.

Remove from heat!

Add your cheese, it may take a while to unwrap each individual slice, but it's worth it!

Mix your cheese slices in while they melt, or just put a lid on it and let the cheese melt.

And you are done!

You can serve right away, or you can put it in the fridge over night. It tastes ten times better the next day, so be sure to heat up those left overs!

I have also made this recipe with:

-skin on potatoes
-bacon bits

Latest posts

Back