• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

My Mom's WLS

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deven

Wendigo
So, I did have a post about this, but it's been cleared:

My Mom had WLS in October 2010. She had a gastric bypass, and her surgeon is supposed to be a great one.

We had struggled for two years with her weight and her digestive system. She was showing symptoms of it shutting down, and they didn't have a clue as to what was causing it. She went from healthy and active (thin, an active hiker, a workaholic. There are a lot of terms to describe my mother. Lazy has never been one) to gaining almost 130 pounds over the course of six months. By the time she had her WLS, she was 280, a vast change over her normal 130-150.

We fought for the surgery. She jumped through hoop after hoop after hoop. When the insurance finally gave her approval, we were all jumping for joy. She knew her diet, and even her preferences, would change.

I took her in for her surgery. The doctor came out and said she was fine. That was Friday. She would be discharged Sunday.

When I went to pick her up, she was still heavily medicated. She wasn't acting right. We did the 45 minute trek home. When we got there, I helped her change into her pajamas, as she wanted to sleep. I checked on her every half hour, but something told me to start doing it more. And more. When I came in around 8:00 pm, I came in to dole out her medication.

That's when I saw that she was snoring, and out of her mouth was a green liquid, just pouring out. And she was breathing it in. I pushed her onto her side, and she started to cough it up out of her lungs. She was still unresponsive, the only time she said anything is when my Ex told me to call 911. She said, "No Hospital." I called anyway.

When the ambulance came, and took her away, I shrugged it off. I was pretty sure that she would be discharged and get mad at me for "overreacting."

By the time I reached the hospital after the ambulance, the doctor had made the decision that our local hospital was unsuitable for her needs, and that she would be Life Lighted to a better hospital. When he asked me to pick, I was a wreck. I told him she had just come out of Pinnacle that very afternoon, so he picked Geisinger in Danville, PA.

By the time I drove the hour to get to Danville, she was already being taken care of. The doctor pulled me aside and told me that she was in Respiratory failure, and that she had to have machine assistance to breathe. They took her to the ICU, where she remained for 3 weeks. She was in the Bariatric Ward for 1 week.

When she first came home, she didn't really notice a change in what she could/couldn't eat. It's been over a year after surgery, and now she's more sick than she was, and she can't eat hardly anything because she dumps it all back up. She lives on what is essentially a liquid diet of orange juice, Edy's Coconut Pops, and Boost with protein. She dumps practically everything else.

When she saw her surgeon, after all this was said and done, he looked at me and told me he expected to see me soon. Um, no thanks.

Reactions: Tad

Latest posts

Back