Quantcast

National Geographic Channel: "Taboo: Fat"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
Potentially interesting program with a couple of familiar faces airs this Wednesday, January 20 at 10 pm Eastern on National Geographic channel.

"Taboo: Fat"

In much of the West thin is beautiful, and fat is taboo. But a new health epidemic is sweeping the planet: obesity. We follow the story of Alan, who at 650 pounds is imprisoned in his own bedroom. In Mauritania mothers risk the health of their daughters by force-feeding them to fatten them for marriage. In the U.S.A., Deidra, a 450 pound model is fat, proud and happy. And 24 "plus size" women push the ideals of beauty when they compete in the Miss Plus America Pageant.

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/taboo/4597/Overview#ixzz0cwIHRaEB

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Thanks for the heads up TFG! It will be interesting to see how National Geographic presents the subject.

Paquito

don't July to me
I've been looking forward to it. The Drugs and Prostitution ones were very interesting.

indy500tchr

There was a film crew at the DIMS Bash back in June. They interviewed me and a few others for the show. I'm just curious to see if I made the cut! :)

They asked very positive questions about DIMS and how I feel about myself. Let's just hope they don't do any funny editing and twist my words.

FatAndProud

If someone could (in the future) post a link of the show...I'd be glad to see it. I've got no tv and/or cable!

Rowan

wickedly delicious
There was a film crew at the DIMS Bash back in June. They interviewed me and a few others for the show. I'm just curious to see if I made the cut! :)

They asked very positive questions about DIMS and how I feel about myself. Let's just hope they don't do any funny editing and twist my words.
Same here...id like to see if i made the cut but i dont get the channel and i cant afford to subscribe to it! Blah :(

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
Rowan, you indeed made the cut! I don't know to what extent of course, but your beautiful face is in the ad twice.

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
In a preview I saw, it showed you dancing with someone.....

Same here...id like to see if i made the cut but i dont get the channel and i cant afford to subscribe to it! Blah :(

FatAndProud

Ugh...I saw the previews for this show....I don't think I'd like it. It's made to look like a freakshow. I mean...next in the lineup is Altered States: Drug Cultures Around the World...

Nice one....really. :|

MatthewB

Still Not Ginger!
I dunno; they were pretty open about the practice of bringing out dead bodies during celebrations in one episode...

I've got the channel, so I might just DVR it, and see. ;)

superodalisque

Ugh...I saw the previews for this show....I don't think I'd like it. It's made to look like a freakshow. I mean...next in the lineup is Altered States: Drug Cultures Around the World...

i had seen the shows before so when i found they were at the dimsbash in orlando i stayed as far away from the cameras as possible.

TallFatSue

Exactly. It looks like freak show by association, at the very least. Besides, the video previews are about a fat man who "was eating himself to death" and a country where "young girls are force-fed in a tradition called 'gavage'." Looks like more of the usual fat = freak junk. :rolleyes:

Why won't anyone make truly fat-positive documentaries, about fat people who are perfectly happy, healthy and doing just fine in life? Maybe because happy, healthy people of any size are too boring for compelling television? This might be a job for Mythbusters! Meanwhile, I'll content myself with real-life "boredom" anytime. :)

PS. Oh heck. Now I have visions in my head of Mythbusters Jamie and Adam following me around on a typical day, testing my office chair etc. Naaaahhhh.... ;)

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Why won't anyone make truly fat-positive documentaries, about fat people who are perfectly happy, healthy and doing just fine in life? Maybe because happy, healthy people of any size are too boring for compelling television?
You've put your finger on it, Sue: television is about stories, and stories are about conflict. How many great novels -- or movies -- are about happy people having a nice time? So any TV portrayal of fat people -- or thin people -- is going to include some element of threat, danger, or misery. As Piet Hein put it:

"All true wisdom must comprise
Some nonsense as a compromise
Lest fools should fail to find it wise."

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA
DM Supporter
You've put your finger on it, Sue: television is about stories, and stories are about conflict. How many great novels -- or movies -- are about happy people having a nice time? So any TV portrayal of fat people -- or thin people -- is going to include some element of threat, danger, or misery. As Piet Hein put it:

"All true wisdom must comprise
Some nonsense as a compromise
Lest fools should fail to find it wise."
You are right. Except in cases of Documentaries, were you need to include the truth.

Okay you may be selective with the truth, or dress up the truth but it still has to be mostly based on the truth.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
Potentially interesting program with a couple of familiar faces airs this Wednesday, January 20 at 10 pm Eastern on National Geographic channel.

"Taboo: Fat"

In much of the West thin is beautiful, and fat is taboo. But a new health epidemic is sweeping the planet: obesity. We follow the story of Alan, who at 650 pounds is imprisoned in his own bedroom. In Mauritania mothers risk the health of their daughters by force-feeding them to fatten them for marriage. In the U.S.A., Deidra, a 450 pound model is fat, proud and happy. And 24 "plus size" women push the ideals of beauty when they compete in the Miss Plus America Pageant.

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/taboo/4597/Overview#ixzz0cwIHRaEB
Bolded for the AAAaaaargh!! I'm so sick of hearing the media trot out that BS hyperbole! :mad: