Quantcast

National Geographic Channel: "Taboo: Fat"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
It was almost balanced...almost lol
At least Fat Admiration was finally described correctly somewhere (Minus the coining of bisizuality question, which I believe goes to Ann Marie lol)

Tmhays87

Reckoner
I had a brief cameo and my wife had a slightly longer bit, but neither of our interview portions made air. Oh well, that was cool enough, I suppose :D

Russell was a fantastic choice as the only Dims Bash attendee with a speaking appearance, if it had to be just one. Personally, I think a lot more could have been added from the footage shot there that could have shown a more positive light on us.

Can't say I'm entirely pleased, overall, but it did try to be somewhat positive. Of course, as always, the last thing we're left with is an ominous reminder of how unhealthy it is to be fat :doh: But, what was I expecting?

Jes

is oddly aroused
i found the first section with...michael was it? enlightening and disturbing. I've begun thinking more and more about the infantalizing properties of extreme weight and the teddy bear bedsheets will definitely stick out in my mind. I enjoyed the program.

OneWickedAngel

Untamed Woman...
I thought it was a fairly balanced episode. Fatness may not have gained any major points, but I don't think we lost any either. Did it end on a negative? Of course, but considering how our society views fatness, it was pretty much a given it would end that way.

It was cool seeing the very brief glimpses of Dimmers on the dance floor. Go Ashley! Go Mango! Go Leroy! Go Rowan! Go Billie! :D For all the interviews that were given I guess was expecting a little more Dims Bash exposure than what finally aired, but much, much kudos to Deirdre! That more than made up for it.:bow:

i found the first section with...michael was it? enlightening and disturbing. I've begun thinking more and more about the infantalizing properties of extreme weight and the teddy bear bedsheets will definitely stick out in my mind. I enjoyed the program.
His name is Alan and that is exactly what the segment was supposed to be - enlightening and disturbing. Let's face it, the very last image of the show is of him. Despite the positives attitudes shown, the message was pretty blatant (at least to me) this is how all fat people are going to wind up in the end if we don't at least attempt to toe our society's "beauty standard" line.

superodalisque

His name is Alan and that is exactly what the segment was supposed to be - enlightening and disturbing. Let's face it, the very last image of the show is of him. Despite the positives attitudes shown, the message was pretty blatant (at least to me) this is how all fat people are going to wind up in the end if we don't at least attempt to toe our society's "beauty standard" line.
exactly! i think Jes' comment about infantilization kinda goes along with that. fat people who like themselves are children with no control over thier bodies, don't know what the hell they are doing so they are doomed like children who eat all of candy and get a tummy ache. there was a lot of finger waving at the end. unless we do something *somber voice* " most of the world might one day be fat" ---wooohoooo! wouldn't that mean it wouldn't be taboo anymore?;)

it was also kind of messed up the way they tried to make it look like it would be Deidre's fault if we all went to fat hell in a handbasket because she's an example of how not to be miserable about yourself. have you ever noticed how these types of shows never mention once that more people worldwide die from being underweight than overweight by a longshot?

you're right though. the one redeeming thing was getting to see all of the dimmers out and about. it made me smile remembering!

Reactions: Ivy

MatthewB

Still Not Ginger!
I recognized a good number of the dancing ladies; nice to see them living it up! ;)

Also... I think Deidre may have stolen my heart with that one interview segment. :wubu:

FrancescaBombshell

SuperSizedBombshell
I was really hoping that this show would take a different direction.. But as usual its the same bs that we are always hearing.. Enough is enough..I think we have bigger problems in this country then "THE OBEASITYEPADEMIC":mad:

Fish

Artist of stuff
there was a lot of finger waving at the end. unless we do something *somber voice* " most of the world might one day be fat"
I swear that the way they ended that show could only have been more melodramatic was if after that last line, they added a big "Dun DUN DUNNNNNNN!!!!!""" and maybe Vincent Price's creepy laugh from "Thriller".

Once upon a time, National Geographic was great. I grew up LOVING that magazine and all the cool stuff I read about in it sparked my imagination. (Especially all the articles about their hologram covers.) But I don't recognize this "Nat Geo" exploitative nonsense. This show came off to me as little more than a prettied up circus sideshow.

Hathor

stolen child
I don't have TV. Do they ever post full episodes on National Geographic or does someone know of a place where I can catch the full program?

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
It will be interesting to see how National Geographic handles the subject at very least. Btw... I just realized that we don't have National Geographic on the Dish that we just subscribed to. If anybody can record and post this show that would be greatly appreciated!
I don't have TV. Do they ever post full episodes on National Geographic or does someone know of a place where I can catch the full program?

Two more repeats of Taboo: Fat will be on

-Sunday January 1/24 at 3 PM Central Standard Time and

-On Wednesday 1/27 at 5 PM Central Standard Time.

Portions of the show are on National Geographic Channels website, but I could not find all of the show on there yet. Here is a link. Perhaps entire show will appear later?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/

You might also check with video on demand. If you do not have this service at home, perhaps your local library would have the ability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_on_demand

Russell Williams

On the show there were two predictions about life expectancy. One was that this generation will not live to be as old as their parents and a second position was that this fat generation will live as long as their parents but will live in a lot more pain.

When I hear people say that, because so many people are fat, this generation will not live as long as their parents, I combine it with the statements I hear that social securty will go broke because people are living to older ages.

I combine these two statements and comment, "Well if it is true that this generation will not live as long as their parents gereration then social security is saved. Call your congress person and tell them there is nothing to worry about" I have found that my response tends to leave the doomsday people speechless.

Russell Williams

the_captain

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Two more repeats of Taboo: Fat will be on

-Sunday January 1/24 at 3 PM Central Standard Time and

-On Wednesday 1/27 at 5 PM Central Standard Time.
Thanks for posting the repeat times, moore2me. Unfortunately I was on an important phone call while the show was on, so I only caught bits and pieces of it. From what I saw it seemed to focus mostly on a fellow named Alan, but I did get to see some Dims folks - that was mighty cool! :cool: I also wish I could have heard more of what Dierdre had to say, but I'll catch up when I watch a repeat.

By the way, they kept showing scenes of a woman clamping some poor kid's foot between two sticks. What was that all about?

Tmhays87

Reckoner
By the way, they kept showing scenes of a woman clamping some poor kid's foot between two sticks. What was that all about?
That was a Mauritanian woman putting her 5-year-old daugher through a force-feeding ritual called gavage. In Mauritania, mainstream views on beauty are essentially the exact opposite of mainstream views in the Western world: fat is beautiful, thin is unattractive. Therefore, many women intentionally gain to become more attractive for potential husbands. This usuallly begins at a young age, and sometimes through forced feeding. The sticks being clamped down on the little girl's feet were to induce a level of pain that would persuade the already-full girl to continue drinking the milk she was being forced to drink.

In the program, they were clear to point out that not everybody participates in gavage (about 1 in 5 girls, they estimate). Though the practice is legal in Mauritania, there is a growing movement against it on the grounds that it is child abuse.