Quantcast

Off brand stories

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
What are your thoughts around authors posting stories which are “off brand”?

Most authors find a lane and stick with it, we veer, we flirt, we put a toe over...but outside folk tend to navigate to specific authors, knowing they generally like that type if lane. Very few authors comfortable ping ponging between romantic saga, hardcore erotica, scifi, short story, etc...at least not well.

I’ve been toying with a few shorter, more intense stories that are very “off brand” for me. I am finding myself hesitant to post, because they are significanty off brand for my works. Shorter, very weight centric, not romance based...

Thoughts? As readers, do you find that jarring, or exciting?

jakemcduck

I think authors should definitely expand their horizons into new genres or story types if that's their desire. Trying new things is a good way to become better at what we do. I think it's exciting to see author branch out. Besides if you have some writing in you, you have to get it out or you'll pop.

stevita

like the pancake
Agreed! In any case I'm excited to hear you have new material in the works! If it's by you I'll read it, but personally I stick with authors for writing quality as much as (if not more than) content. Besides, I'm sure this quarantine has made us all very horny. Bring on the smut!

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
I don’t write here on Dims, but I do a lot out here in my personal life. This is something that makes me a little nervous with my writing because I do a lot of suspense style writing and also abstract style horror. I’m concerned potential publishers will balk at that. Then again, I need to stop being lazy and actually submit some work for publication before I can worry about that! 🤣

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
What are your thoughts around authors posting stories which are “off brand”?
[…]
I’ve been toying with a few shorter, more intense stories that are very “off brand” for me. I am finding myself hesitant to post, because they are significanty off brand for my works. Shorter, very weight centric, not romance based...

Thoughts? As readers, do you find that jarring, or exciting?
Besides if you have some writing in you, you have to get it out or you'll pop.
^ This. At times i have to write, even if no one wants to read the result. It’s almost like there’s some force of the universe physically compelling me.

If it's by you I'll read it, but personally I stick with authors for writing quality as much as (if not more than) content.
^ This this this this. To me, a fatosphere/fatlovesex author’s brand is their writing quality: grammar, sentence structure, reasonable handling of tenses, continuity. Definitely exciting! Any author concerned about deviating from a well-regarded body of existing work within a narrow genre niche assuredly can avoid jarring readers with an informative author’s intro and on places like Dims that support it, title or other coding to provide strong hints of major content.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Do iiiiiiiiit!

Seriously, I'm going to guess that a good chunk of the nerves are 'will people like it'? But I bet you had that going on when you posted your first story too, right? But you did, and people loved it, and all was grand. Changing the type of story exposes you to all of those doubts again, but just as it was worth taking the plunge the first time, it is worth taking the plunge again.

I do think it makes sense to really signal the difference. A post like this is a good start, and some clear comments at the tops of the newer brand of stories will help too, and maybe you can come up with some other ways to flag attention (like, if you finished 'Trial by Fire' by then (hint, hint), you could put an authors note at the end saying something like 'oof, this one was huge and took so long to finish. I have some new stories built up in me, but very different in nature. Just warning you not to expect my next few efforts to look like this one'. Hopefully most readers of your work would see that, when they might not have noticed this.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Personally, I've a huge fan of off brand writing! I find it fascinating to see other writers venture into different territories, read how their voices and perspectives either change or stay consistent. Not everything works off course, be it at first trial or in general, but I applaud all attempts (... and wish I were better at it myself).

In turn, I tend to get bored over time by all too "on brand" writing. Not only here on Dims, but also in the real world, I'll lose interest in writers that have too predictable stories, with similar characters, settings and themes with a strong déjà lu factor.

So yes please, bring on any off-brand writing!

Reactions: Tad

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Besides if you have some writing in you, you have to get it out or you'll pop.
This is exactly why i asked, i wrote it so i wouldn't explode, but wasn't sure if it was share worthy...

Besides, I'm sure this quarantine has made us all very horny. Bring on the smut!
LOL YESSSS

I don’t write here on Dims, but I do a lot out here in my personal life. This is something that makes me a little nervous with my writing because I do a lot of suspense style writing and also abstract style horror. I’m concerned potential publishers will balk at that. Then again, I need to stop being lazy and actually submit some work for publication before I can worry about that! 🤣
I saw one story by you, you should do more!

Do iiiiiiiiit!

Seriously, I'm going to guess that a good chunk of the nerves are 'will people like it'? But I bet you had that going on when you posted your first story too, right? But you did, and people loved it, and all was grand. Changing the type of story exposes you to all of those doubts again, but just as it was worth taking the plunge the first time, it is worth taking the plunge again.
Ok fine, i did it! *throws her hands up in the air and throws paint at the wall*

Personally, I've a huge fan of off brand writing! I find it fascinating to see other writers venture into different territories, read how their voices and perspectives either change or stay consistent. Not everything works off course, be it at first trial or in general, but I applaud all attempts (... and wish I were better at it myself).

In turn, I tend to get bored over time by all too "on brand" writing. Not only here on Dims, but also in the real world, I'll lose interest in writers that have too predictable stories, with similar characters, settings and themes with a strong déjà lu factor.

So yes please, bring on any off-brand writing!
You know, this really resonated - there are a few authors who I loved who, after reading a few books, i was less enamoured with because it was basically the same story, over and over again.

Well, you peer pressured me into it! here goes lolol

Reactions: Tad

mal57

I joined a WG writing prompt group on DA a little over a year ago to get out of my rut and cure my writer's block. The prompts really worked! I feel I jumped 500% in ability and I've finished more stories since then than I had in my entire career (lol) prior to joining. I was able to try out different voices and subjects with the excuse that if I failed they weren't "my" stories.

Rojodi

Late here.

Sometimes the best way to get the creative juices flowing is to write in another genre. When I'm stuck for sexy story ideas, I'll write ghost tales (and make my wife angry, she hates being scared). Go for it!

Jerry Thomas

Sometimes it may take something weird to get you going again. In my case, I recently had a very vivid dream where I was writing a new story with pencil on lined loose-leaf paper (I normally never do it that way). So after I woke up, I started writing my story in this way. Now I'm finishing it up on the computer, but at least it got something unstuck in my head. I also realized one other thing - take risks when you write and don't worry about whether other people will "like" it. Do something a little crazy (in your story!) - after all, it's "only" fiction!

Corey

Corey
Sometimes, it the things you are most hesitant to write that turn out to be the best. I am a fan of off brand writing.

Latest posts