Quantcast

Oh, Oatmeal!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
Inspired by the cereal thread, I thought it was high-time we had a thread devoted to oatmeal! Yum! :eat1:

I love alllllll kinds of oatmeal, from the oddly flavored instant variety (Banana Nut Bread Oatmeal, anyone?) to hearty steel cut oats cooked just until they are chewy and tender.

One of my favorite ways to cook oatmeal is in a rice cooker. I just add the oats, water, salt and a handful of dried cranberries and start the cooker. When it pops, I add butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Good stuff!

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Oatmeal.. little butter, little splenda, enough skim milk to cover it, and I'm good. I occasionally eat the pre-flavored packages like brown sugar cinnamon, and those are good too but I definitely prefer plain.

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
I love putting sugar free maple syrup and chopped walnuts in mine, yum!

Captain Save

never had a 40
Old-fashioned oats with cooked in water with dried cranberries, and topped with Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut and microwaved with cinnamon and brown sugar for about three minutes. Just thinking about it is making me hungry!
:eat1:

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
Hubby and I love McCann's steel cut oats that take 7 minutes. We add a little butter and honey and it tastes awesome.

TraciJo67

I love using oatmeal as the breading on fish fillets. Cooks up nice and crunchy and gives it a rich, comfort-food flavor.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Oatmeal...ripe banana...milk. Or, in the summer, a chopped mix of seasonal fruit.

TraciJo67

This sounds really good. I wish I could cook.
My husband wishes that I could, too :D

Seriously, I make really simple things ... it's only when I try to make something fancy or complicated that I run into trouble. Trust me, you can make a simple fish fillet. I buy tilapia because it has a mild flavor ... dip it in milk, roll it in oatmeal that has been sprinkled with salt, pepper, and a pinch of old bay seasoning and then pan fry in just enough oil to cover the fish. To ensure that the breading stays on the fish, if I have time I will refrigerate them after I've dipped them and rolled them a few times.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
My husband wishes that I could, too :D

Seriously, I make really simple things ... it's only when I try to make something fancy or complicated that I run into trouble. Trust me, you can make a simple fish fillet. I buy tilapia because it has a mild flavor ... dip it in milk, roll it in oatmeal that has been sprinkled with salt, pepper, and a pinch of old bay seasoning and then pan fry in just enough oil to cover the fish. To ensure that the breading stays on the fish, if I have time I will refrigerate them after I've dipped them and rolled them a few times.
Tilapia is my favorite. I'm going to try this, seriously. I need to learn how to cook anyway.

How do you know when it's done?

TraciJo67

Tilapia is my favorite. I'm going to try this, seriously. I need to learn how to cook anyway.

How do you know when it's done?
Fish cooks very, very rapidly in hot oil. I put the burner just slightly above medium. I know that the fish is done when the crust is a rich, golden brown. The flesh should be flaky, white, and falling apart tender. I'd say -- 2 to 3 minutes on each side, but be certain that the oil is very hot before dropping the fillets in. I do that by dropping a bit of the breading into the oil -- if it sizzles and fizzes at you, it's ready. Oh, and something I learned the hard way -- make sure you don't overload the frying pan. For a medium pan, 2-3 fillets at a time.

UrbanSugar

coating fish in oatmeal sounds so interesting, I want to try!! My fav oatmeal is instant peaches and cream :eat2:!!!

shinyapple

crunchy in milk
I love oatmeal. I am the only one in my family who does, except my nephew who I hooked on it at a young age. I prefer mine cooked slightly more than the average....runny oatmeal just turns me off. A little butter, lots of brown sugar, and I am a happy camper.

I will eat instant oatmeal at times and used to regularly for breakfast at work. A tip for those who enjoy it: a package of cinnamon roll flavored mixed with a package of maple/brown sugar flavored will wind up tasting almost exactly like an oatmeal cookie! Sweet, cinnamon-y, and filling :)

Sugar

I like oatmeal with splenda, butter and whole milk or soy when I have it. I also require bacon and toast.

Naturally this only happens when I'm at my parents.

Usually it's just honey and milk.

I'd like to move home...:)

Flyin Lilac

Jumped-up fahk.
1. Can you cook oatmeal in the microwave? I don't have the patience for stovetop.
2. Can you use either milk or water, or does it have to be water?

Laura2008

Chicago hotdog
I eat oatmeal about 5 days a week. It's good for your body and it fills you up too. Chopped walnuts, Splenda, raisins, and cinnamon for me.:eat2:

1. Can you cook oatmeal in the microwave? I don't have the patience for stovetop.
2. Can you use either milk or water, or does it have to be water?
I always cook my oatmeal in the microwave. It takes about 2 minutes in mine. It can boil over quickly so you'll want to keep an eye on it and stir frequently. I only use water because I don't like milk but you can always add in milk after it's done.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
...having not yet had supper (napped after I got home from work). Couldn't quite figure out what I wanted to eat.

Thanks for the suggestion you guys didn't know you were making, but were making nonetheless. :)

-Rusty
(Off in search of oatmeal...)

Latest posts