• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

post WLS and the flu

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraciJo67

Warning: Icky sickness stuff ahead. I'm posting this partially as information, since it's something I wasn't aware of ... and partially because I'd like to know if others have experienced this as well.

Earlier this week, I had a really nasty bout of what was probably a mild 24-hour flu bug. I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure done 5 years ago, and up until this week, I've never had any significant gastric upset associated with illness. What I experienced over the last few days was just ... horrific. A full-blown case of the flu, with the attending fever and chills and upset stomach, but a complete inability to vomit. I spent Monday night and all of Tuesday in agony ... always feeling just on the verge of it, and never being able to do so, even after eating a small amount of soft food. I had the dry heaves & the retching (since my body was obviously trying to purge itself) and nothing would come up. There was never a moment of relief. I literally couldn't drag myself out of bed for two days. In short, I felt like I had an unending 2-day massive hangover.

I do know that many post-WLS people have commented that they were unable to induce vomiting (like, when you know you're going to be sick from overeating & want to move it along or after drinking too much). That is true for me too. I just hadn't realized that it would also be true in cases when my body very much needed & was very actively trying to purge itself. It makes me wonder what happens in cases like food poisoning. Could it actually be a dangerous thing?

Would love to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Latest posts

Back