Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

NancyGirl74

I don't want to give away spoilers so I'll just say...Don't hate me but I think they made the right choice. At least the right choice of the final three.

Micara

Living and Learning
I thought the color was going out on my TV but it turned out it was just Gretchen's runway show.

Paquito

don't July to me
I'm not gonna say that her collection was bad. I don't think it was bad. I think there were a lot of ready-to-wear good pieces. But when I think of these runway shows, I don't think about it just being ready to wear. I expect some drama, some things that are out there. Don't most designers made a runway show and then a separate collection that is meant to be the ready-to-wear version of the former?

And was anyone else surprised about Jessica Simpson's judging performance? I was pleasantly surprised, she has more fashion knowledge than I had anticipated.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I love the judge's justifications. Andy followed our criticisms too much. Didn't we tell Mondo not to use that gown, he needed a little back dress(which Tim told him not to show). Gretchen has followed our advice (no, she's basically spit on you backstage...be happy you weren't fabric).

Michael Kors' head was up his ass last night. Yes, Michael, if Grethen's line was in your collection, it might sell...and it might sell THIS season, but next year...no. It was fad not fashion.

indy500tchr

I am still stewing about this...I wish that the name of this thread was what happened last night but I guess the Bitch got the last laugh instead of ending up cut.

I have a feeling that the judges were afraid of giving Mondo the win b/c he designed so much like Seth Aaron and they wanted to have a "new look" for the season winner. Her collection was sooooo boring and drab. The colors are so pukish and about 40 years too old.

I AM NOT HAPPY!

NancyGirl74

Guys, I know you are going to hate me but I think the judges made the right pick. Please allow me to explain myself before you stone me.

I am no fan of Gretchen's, not her style and not her personality (although I think she's been more "human" the last two episodes). She is quite talented and she knows it. Self confidence can be a good thing when you are trying to propel yourself through challenging situations. However, I feel that the line she walks between confidence and arrogance is very fine. I have a feeling the opinions of others will force her to take note of that line.

As for what she sent down the runway...I was surprised. It is definitely not my style. However, of the three lines showed Gretchen's was the most cohesive. From the music (do they choose their own?) to the styling (the hair totally worked for me and I didn't expect it to when she was describing it to the stylist). Her "show" was the only one that made sense. When Michael said that he "got" the girl that Gretchen was targeting I understood what he meant. I "got it" too.

I liked Andy's stuff but I didn't "get" his show. There was no Asian feel at all. At least not for me. In fact, it felt...odd. Not un-likable, just odd. It lacked...something. I dunno, it didn't wow. Knowing Andy he should have wowed even if the wow-factor was slightly scary.

Mondo...some things I loved. Some things, not so much. Again, I'm not sure I can explain but I shall try. It all just seemed very cartoon-y. I understood what Michael and Nina meant about "too much" and "too young." Normally, I love Mondo's youthful, light, fun-ness but this feel like a show for high couture teens...something the too rich might buy for their too pampered children so they could play at being Sex and the City's Carrie. I don't know if I'm making sense but there it is.

Gretchen...Ok, I didn't hate her stuff. There should have been more color and a bit less sameness. That being said, her line looked like a line. As soon as the other two left the runway I knew Gretchen would win by comparison. Everything was sharp and well put-together. She kept the casualness that is her style but made it sexy, chic, and fit for the runway.

Gretchen was not my pick. I don't care for her style. I disappointed that she won over Mondo...but I am forced to agree with the judges. She had the best show. :(

indy500tchr

I'm gonna totally do a Heidi...I just can't agree with that Nancy my dear. Yes it looked like a line but to me it was a 1970's New Mexico snooze. At least Mondo kept me interested. I think it was Michael who said that his line was "the younger cousin to Seth Aaron". That phrase just sticks in my head as the reason why they didn't go w/ Mondo.

Paquito

don't July to me
I have to agree with Heidi when she said that Michael and Nina were condemning Mondo for his prints, color schemes, and styling when they applauded him for it the entire season. Mixed messages much?

Jes

is oddly aroused
i thought the final decision was terrible.

it was the first time that i honestly felt payola was involved. i'm not saying there was, but I mean... it was like someone threw the fight.

NancyGirl74

I've decided to re-watch it. I just can't believe that I would side with the judges on this one. Maybe I was tired??

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
First off, I did think most of what Nina and Michael had to say was bullshit, especially MK. I didn't buy at all his claim that Gretchen somehow had this innate sense of where the fashion world was heading, and anticipated that with her line. And I also think Gretchen shouldn't even have made it to the top 3, Michael C should have had the spot. Heidi and Michael have a had a hard on for Gretchen's styling choices all season, which I have never understood.

That said... Nina's damning critique that Mondo's collection projected as extremely young was spot on. That's exactly what I was thinking as the models were walking down the runway. The collection was fine, but was it his best work? I think you could argue that compared to several things he produced in individual challenges during the competition, that his full collection was a little disappointing. That's how I felt anyways. On the other hand, I think Gretchen saved her best work for the collection. Was it that fantastic? No. I only really liked the pants with the leather panels, and those 3 low brimmed hats (which I thought were quite sexy). How many times did we see that boring brown print? But because it was polished and coherent, it was better than the awful stuff she's been putting out, so it made her look like she was someone who could keep her head, with Mondo appearing to be someone who was getting in the way of his own talent. He allowed it to be closer than it should have been. I felt awful for him, and there's no way I'm at all interested in what Gretchen's eventual line is going to look like, but I see how the judges got there, and it's consistent with the infuriating manner they've been voting with all season.

ps: Is it even worth talking about Andy's line? Pajamas and nightgowns with starry headpieces. Bleh.

SocialbFly

I am keeping Tina!
my friend and i were talking and this is my opinion....

Gretchen can be led...Mondo can't...Mondo will sell on his own, his support is there, but to have someone that has to do what they want (within design constraints) i think Gretchen (whose designs i couldnt stand) is leadable and directable...in other words, will do what they want, when they want it...

they hired a puppet who will produce what they want...boring ass clothes...

bingo...here comes Gretchen.

(and Andy at 23 has a future, specially in pjs...lol..MuleV)

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
my friend and i were talking and this is my opinion....

Gretchen can be led...Mondo can't...Mondo will sell on his own, his support is there, but to have someone that has to do what they want (within design constraints) i think Gretchen (whose designs i couldnt stand) is leadable and directable...in other words, will do what they want, when they want it...

they hired a puppet who will produce what they want...boring ass clothes...

bingo...here comes Gretchen.

(and Andy at 23 has a future, specially in pjs...lol..MuleV)
You may be right. They may have needed someone to design Heidi's gray and floppy line.

Latest posts