Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Paquito

don't July to me
Agreed. I liked his copper tones, it doesn't seem like something used very often. But I remember from the preview we got a while back that Andy's was pretty good. And I like the green/silver.

I think they all failed when it came to showcasing their best pieces for the judges, aside from Mondo's dress.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I was really unimpressed with the mini-collections shown. I hope the larger collections show more imagination.

And, beyond anything possible, Mondo made that top work with the skirt in his last piece. THAT was a touch of genius.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Guess who got an important phone call at the 60 min mark of the show? And I took it. So while I saw some reactions on my muted TV, I wasn't fully 'there.' I plan to watch the next repeat as soon as I can.

That said, I just don't get Grechen. Her batik-y shit? She was concerned with jewelry and bags for the looks...that's very commercial. Good for her, but that's not what PR is about. And in the past, they've bonged designers for that. Not her, though. Why? I mean really, why?

This is what I know at my age: that batik-y shit isn't new. If you're 26, like she is, or whatever she is, it may be new. The rest of us remember it from the late 80s/early 90s, when we were college aged, and saw it offered during sales on the Quad. It seemed 'different' and kinda 'cool' and most important, it was cheap. And the quality was cheap, too, and it got all fucked up in the washing machine but that didn't matter b/c you barely made it to the dorm's laundry room b/c you were hanging out in coffee shops and smoking doobs, and talking about Deep Meanings of Things, and totally staring at that guy in your History class with the long hair, and starting your physics homework at 4 am.

Hypothetically *cough*

Anyway, my point is: we all grew out of that shit.

But now Gretchen is bringing it back. Maybe there's a market of 20 somethings who want it. Great.

BUT IT'S NOT FASHION.

I can honestly tell you that i was horrified with what i saw of her collection. And not just b/c she hasn't been my favorite contestant. It was just a fucking ugly mess. I get that she's a trooper and about to be homeless; do her clothes have to LOOK LIKE THAT? Homeless, I mean!

I did notice that when she arrived at the Hilton, Michael was the first person to welcome her with a smile and a hello. From what his own story sounds like (as told by his bf? friend?) his family hasn't been supportive. They haven't given him the kind of welcome he's given to others. That was nice to see.

Andy's green dress was too short. THe pleating was beautiful.

Jes

is oddly aroused
well, having caught the last 1/3 of the show, I'm more mystified than ever now. It seemed to me that even with the 3 choices in the show, the judges said more positive things about michael's looks than gretchen's. and she wasn't even in competition for the last spot--that was Andy! While I get that Michael should've picked another color for his mini collection, he had a beautiful gown that everyone complimented and a 'shirt' (that gathered thing) that Heidi said she'd never seen before and found quite intriguing. I mean think of that--a piece of clothing in a style that's not been seen before. But he was 1-note and Gretched, with her very simple clothes (let's be honest--a woman wearing that pants outfit on the street wouldn't even be seen to be fashionable in the least, let alone high fashion) was deserving of sharing the same event as Versaci and Herrera? Know what I mean? And, when the judges said that they ... I don't recall. There was something they said to Michael or Gretchen about one of them not having a range, or showing them something new. I think it was Michael. And I thought: really? if that's the case, then gretchen shouldn't have been no. 2 to be picked. Girl has no range in this last colleciton.

horrible.

i also felt quite bad for michael. I think that of the 4, he has the worst situation to go home to. And that includes Mondo having to tell his family he's HIV positive!! Apparently, Michael's family has only been supportive of him now that he's on TV. They also only value his career choice now that he seems to be winning something. So for him to lose both of those things means, simply put, that he's going to be losing his family's support and appreciation for his talent and career choice. That's really harsh. You could tell, when he was crying, that he was picturing his mother's endless 'just be straight and get married again. it was good enough for you once, it'll be good enough for you again. get a job at Office Depot now' haranguing. So sad. Now, he can always leave town and tell her to shut up, but ... Anyway, I have to say that broke my heart, and I was surprised I was reacting that way. You can't judge clothes and design based on someone's personal story, but I'm sad that it worked out this way. I think Michael wouldn't have won PR but I would've rather seen his 12 piece collection than Gretchen's.

Now, the judges say that the finale is the hardest to judge, ever. Which makes me wonder if Mondo's collection isn't all that in their eyes.
wait--i typed gretched up there. maybe i was meaning wretched + gretchen?

NancyGirl74

While I still didn't like her designs and I'm not sure if what she showed on the runway makes her deserving to be in the final three I feel that Gretchen was the most "human" in this episode than she has been all season. To come home to nothing and then have to design a full collection on top of that must have been the challenge of a lifetime. She was packing up one life as she was designing and creating with high, high hopes of starting another. Plus, she was the first one to get out of her seat to embrace Michael when he broke down. His usual enemy and antagonist was there first to comfort him. I might not like Gretchen and I'm not a fan of her style and she's not nearly my first pick to win...still, I thought she showed a lot of personal class. That ranks her a little higher in my eyes. I'm not rooting for her but I guess won't hate it if she wins.

I'm not sad that Andy made it. Surprised but not sad. I would have thought that the judges would have taken into account how grandly Andy has failed in the past. If they really were judging on what they saw before them at that moment than ok...but that theory certainly doesn't explain then being ok with Gretchen's hot mess. His green outfit was too short. Even the model tugged it down in the back as she was leaving the runway. The silver thing...what was that anyway? Tin Man heads to Aruba? Did anyone else notice how much the bottoms stuck up into the model's ass? I mean, hello! It was the Jackie O pants all over again. I kinda liked the floating bikini thingie but it wasn't runway worthy. Not in my opinion. I have a lot respect for Andy's talent but I don't think he should win. However, the way things are going I would not be shocked if he does.

Which leads me to Mondo. I didn't love anything he showed. NOTHING! And I usually love him. I just felt his collection was very UN-Mondo. There was very little that was fun and playful about it. Sure he mixed his patterns but the lack of color made his collection look like what's-her-name's stuff from last season (final three chick, middle-aged, did only black and white?). It was nice, stylish but blah. At least blah for Mondo. I don't know if it's a collection he can win with.

Michael C: I'm heart broken for Michael. I think a lot of what we saw had been building for a while. So many people were against him on the show and he held up under all that bitterness. Now we come to find out that even his family is against him. I don't blame him for finally crumbling.

I honestly don't know what the judges were thinking. If they can look past Gretchen's diaper bag jumper dress (the one with the kangaroo pocket thing hanging off the ass) than they sure as shit should have been able to see the beauty of Michael's collection despite the sameness of color. Again his evening dress was fab! I loved it, the flow and movement of it was just dreamy. I love when he does stuff like that. The feather one was cute but I see the boxiness they were talking about. It didn't flatter. Still, it was waaay better than Gretchen's "thing" or Andy's too tight shorts. Michael also sent out pants! When has Michael ever sent out pants?? I loved that top actually. The colors might have been the same but at least he stepped out of his comfort zone with that pants and top. The other's played it safe and frankly boring.

Ugh! I'm just so frustrated. Of all four of them Michael's collection was the one I liked best. It might not have been runway worthy yet but it had potential. I least I saw the potential. I can't really say the same for the others.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the last show. I really feel unmotivated to even watch. Perhaps I was caught up a bit too much in rooting for Michael because now I couldn't care less who wins...Ok, that's not true. I'm still holding out hope for Mondo but eh I'm just ambivalent at this point.

Jes

is oddly aroused
you make another good point, nancy. I think Michael was devastated at the end b/c, of all the designers, he had the most shit flung at him by others in the workroom. At one point, I think everyone was against him, doing that awful smack talk-right-around-the-corner thing. And he was out and out called a cheap by at least 1 designer, maybe more. No one came to his defense but Tim. And I don't think anyone gave him his due. Even Mondo said: he was a nice guy who followed instructions, but I don't recall him saying: He's a good designer, I was wrong. Maybe he did, but no one else. So he had a tough road with them, too. And he was never not nice to anyone. So in a way, if that had been me, I would've felt embarrassed at that last moment. Of course, I realize I have shame issues that I shouldn't, but I'm putting myself in his shoes, and it feels like crap.

To pick a life totally outside of what your family wants for you, to only get their support when you're succeeding at it, and then to lose that has got to really wreck you.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
Michael: Leaving town would mean leaving his son. I think that would be the toughest thing on Earth for him.

Gretchen: I found her newfound niceness fake. Maybe having her life fall apart had an impact on her. I just don't believe it. I think she's seen how she came across on the show and decided decency would be nice for a change.

Mondo and Andy...their reaction to Michael made me think of most guy's reactions to real emotional hurt. Being a drama queen, they can deal with. Seeing someone's heart actually breaking...not so much. Trust me, I know men who can deal with it, but not the majority. It gets too close to things they have felt and been forced to keep hidden in their own lives.

I hope Michael got to show his fashions, even without Project Runway, as many of the designers in past seasons have.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Michael: Leaving town would mean leaving his son. I think that would be the toughest thing on Earth for him.
yeah, i thought about that. I guess I meant more of the ... don't be beholden to them emotionally. It does sound like he is, and while I understand that, he's also an adult. I hope he moves into his own in a way that means, should he have a similar upset a year from now, he won't break down the way he did. Or, at least, he won't for the same reasons. He deserves that but it sounds like he'll have to make that happen for himself. Maybe PR was a step in that direction, which would be a nice plus.

Jes

is oddly aroused
thanks for the article nancy; i look forward to reading it when I DON"T HAVE STUPID HOMEWORK TO DO. One thing I thought when I watched the breakdown was; if i were a star who watched this and liked him and needed a dress for an event, I would so call him. Just b/c I believe in him (as much as anyone else. I mean, I don't really know how good he is, or any of them, since I'm no fashion maven), and b/c it would mean SO much to him.

anyway, unrelated: i saw parts of the runway show last week! I was googling for something, i don't know what, and some site has photos of garments coming down the runway. i looked quickly but the moved off the site. I was pissed off.

also also: will someone PLEASe TELL gretchen that bangs cut from ear to ear are a real bad look and kind of Dumb and Dumber. Oh, lord. I've hated that bowl-cut mullet since DAY ONE.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
thanks for the article nancy; i look forward to reading it when I DON"T HAVE STUPID HOMEWORK TO DO. One thing I thought when I watched the breakdown was; if i were a star who watched this and liked him and needed a dress for an event, I would so call him. Just b/c I believe in him (as much as anyone else. I mean, I don't really know how good he is, or any of them, since I'm no fashion maven), and b/c it would mean SO much to him.

anyway, unrelated: i saw parts of the runway show last week! I was googling for something, i don't know what, and some site has photos of garments coming down the runway. i looked quickly but the moved off the site. I was pissed off.

also also: will someone PLEASe TELL gretchen that bangs cut from ear to ear are a real bad look and kind of Dumb and Dumber. Oh, lord. I've hated that bowl-cut mullet since DAY ONE.
I have to say, I the "Pipi Longstocking braids over the head" actually made me cringe. There may be stuff you do at home that you JUST DON'T wear out in public.

Also, because they NEVER mention the other designer's shows on PR you can see this if you want to feel a little better:

http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2011/spring/main/newyork/womenrunway/projectrunwaymichaelc/

indy500tchr

I have to say, I the "Pipi Longstocking braids over the head" actually made me cringe. There may be stuff you do at home that you JUST DON'T wear out in public.

Also, because they NEVER mention the other designer's shows on PR you can see this if you want to feel a little better:

http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2011/spring/main/newyork/womenrunway/projectrunwaymichaelc/
By looking at this and seeing what Gretchen brought onto the runway last week I am PISSED they cut Michael. That collection was beautiful AND had a range of pieces. I'd take brilliant bronze gowns over 1970's cheap cotton holly hobby hippie clothes anyday.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
By looking at this and seeing what Gretchen brought onto the runway last week I am PISSED they cut Michael. That collection was beautiful AND had a range of pieces. I'd take brilliant bronze gowns over 1970's cheap cotton holly hobby hippie clothes anyday.
You use nice descriptions of her clothes. I'm kinda sticking with tacky.

intraultra

big monster lover
I found this interview with Michael C. It eased my mind about him a bit. I wish him lots of luck and success.

PS...I looked for spoilers but didn't think there were any.

http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/s72/project-runway/interviews/a283759/michael-costello-project-runway.html
Aww, this article does make me feel better about Michael C. He seems to be pretty upbeat and looking to the future. I was BALLING at the end of the last episode. It reminded me how lucky I am to have a supportive family, though.

LisaInNC

Ok tonight is the night people. Mondo wins! I just saw Michael C's collection and I LOVED it. Bah still cant believe Gretchen is in the top 3.

Latest posts