Puppy umbilical hernia?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
I'm wondering if anybody has ever treated a puppy with an umbilical hernia? What do we need to watch out for? How much might it cost to have it fixed? Is there a risk of intestinal strangulation...?

Mtmaiden and I were playing with her new Shih Tzu puppy this evening and noticed a very distinct bump on her belly where it would seem her "belly button" is located. My first guess (having had multiple hernias myself on two separate occasions...) is that it is a hernia. The bump definitely wasn't on our puppy's belly yesterday.

Any advice would be helpful! :)

Carrie

Hi Stan!

I'll say what I always say in threads like this. Take the pup to your vet for a definite diagnosis vs. speculating - it's totally natural to speculate, but not helpful to little puppy-head (you just never know when a problem might be serious until you get it checked).

If you've already made an appointment to have it checked soon, ignore me. :p

P.S. Here's some info on umbilical hernias, and inguinal hernias. They can turn dangerous, so please be careful!

SocialbFly

I am keeping Tina!
i would have it checked too, but that being said, many puppies and even babies have umbilical hernias that reduce themselves and heal over time, unless it is a BIG one, most will just wait and see...strangulation to a herniated intestine occurs when it slips through a tight spot and then the blood cant get through to keep the intestine happy...

it is an easy procedure for repair and shouldnt cost much more than a spaying/neutering procedure and they heal quite quickly...

that is one cute pup btw :)

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Thanks SocialB and Carrie, and thanks for the link! I will definitely call the vet first thing tomorrow.

SparklingBBW

What's new pussycat?
First of all, let's get to what's important here:

Where are the pictures??????

Anywho...all silliness aside...What those other smarty-pants said! The Shih-tzu I had when I was younger also came with a little pop-up belly button hernia, which the vet just told us to watch and then when he got neutered, they took care of the hernia at the same time, that way only one time under anesthesia.

Good luck to all of you. My Shih-tzu AJ (named after AJ Simon from the TV show Simon & Simon) was a great dog, and a true boon companion. Glad to hear the family is expanding :)

P.S. Congrats to Ris and Bio for properly brain-washing other Dimmers in the glory of this breed :)

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
First of all, let's get to what's important here:

Where are the pictures??????

Anywho...all silliness aside...What those other smarty-pants said! The Shih-tzu I had when I was younger also came with a little pop-up belly button hernia, which the vet just told us to watch and then when he got neutered, they took care of the hernia at the same time, that way only one time under anesthesia.

Good luck to all of you. My Shih-tzu AJ (named after AJ Simon from the TV show Simon & Simon) was a great dog, and a true boon companion. Glad to hear the family is expanding :)

P.S. Congrats to Ris and Bio for properly brain-washing other Dimmers in the glory of this breed :)

Thanks, she really is a cute puppy Genarose... and yes... it was Risible who bumped Mtmaiden over the edge in deciding to get a Shih Tzu. (Actually Mtmaiden has had Lahasas and Shih Tzus in the past...)

We got the advice of a vet technician and will wait until we have the pup fixed. Her hernia isn't particularly bad and it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

tinkerbell

Our dog, Cocoa has one. For some reason, when he was neutered, they didn't fix it. We adopted him after he was neutered.

Anyway, I've asked our vet about his, and was told that it was ok to leave his as is. Its healed over or whatever, and its ok.

You can see it in this picture, its the pink bump.

wuglu0.jpg

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
Well, as others have said, take your pooch to a vet and make sure all's well.

I once owned a shi tzu back in my younger years (she went to doggy heaven back when I was still in college). I remember she wasn't the brightest dog in the world but she had a very sweet temperament and was a nice dog.

Dennis

mtnmaiden

Stan promised pictures, so I thought I'd go ahead and show y'all our new addition...

Kristen_pup1.jpg
kristen_pup2.jpg

Thank you for all of your advice! Lilly continues to do well...

Puppy hugs,
MtnMaiden

Latest posts