• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Scuba diving and fat people

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent last week diving off Roatan island in Honduras. It was half work, half fun as I reviewed underwater cameras and rugged mobile computing equipment for my tech websites.

On dive trips people are usually assigned to boats, and one guy on our boat was a BHM with a very large belly. My guess is he was 6"1 and about 400 pounds. There was also a very short woman with very large hips.

Now common wisdom would have it that scuba diving is not a sport for fat people. Fat floats and so fat divers would need a lot of weight in their weight belt or buoyancy compensating jacket. And wetsuits, which are a pain to put on for anyone, are not available in those sizes.

Well, the short woman had a suit that fit and was a very good diver. The BHM just wore a T-shirt to dive (the water was 80 degrees Fahrenheit) and used a conventional weight belt with maybe 22 pounds (I used 15). He also was an excellent diver with a uniquely elegant style.

I can imagine that diving would be a wonderful sport for fat people. When you dive, you fly. You are totally weightless and just glide above wondrous underwater landscapes. It's a miraculous world that few ever see, yet it is very accessible. And the peace and awe you feel while doing it is indescribable.

The two pictures blow show diving through an underwater canyon and the stunning plants and colors there are down there.

View attachment composite_small_500.jpg

Latest posts

Back