• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

SF Weekly Article: The Reaction

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judge_Dre

A short while back Jay West Coast's thread, FA's Make Me Want to Be Thin, concerning a SF Weekly article, received a tremendous amount of posts.
http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34728

That SF Weekly article, My Body, My Self by Kathy St. Clair, got (as most of us predicted) negative responses from readers. I got the following from the Letters to the Editor department.
http://sfweekly.com/2008-01-16/news/sf-weekly-letters/

Notice Kathy St. Clair's childish response.

Our Beautiful Bouncer

Web comment of the week:

As a fat admirer (a term much less demeaning than chubby chaser), I must take offense at my kind being called gnomes. And we are not all like the bad examples St. Clair sets forth in this article ["My Body, My Self," Jan. 2].

I doubt she had intentions of slandering an entire genre of body preference, but it is easily inferred. Please bear in mind, too, that FAs [fat admirers] as well as BBWs [big beautiful women], can be social outcasts because of what they are, and consequently can be stranger at times than one might expect.

John
Via SFWeekly.com

Bitter about bariatrics:
Katy St. Clair can do whatever she likes to her body. She can also bite my fat ass. No part of my body is "debris."

Most of the data about stomach amputation — let's call it what it is — follow only the people who report back to their surgeons; i.e., the lucky ones. A recent study in Pennsylvania followed up on all patients and found higher death rates among the newly gutless than among comparably fat people who stayed away from the scary man with the knife. It's not okay to use a surgical cure on a social ill.

Katy's story made me wonder just what surgery-thin women are supposed to dream about when they encounter creepy guys from the Internet. Then I remembered about all the other cosmetic mutilations. (Vaginoplasty ... eww.)

We're living in dark times. There's a witch hunt on fat people. It's called the "obesity" epidemic. Witches (and witch-lovers) can either live in fear, or we can line up the bucket brigade and start dousing.

Here's a question for SF Weekly readers who think Katy is a better person because she lost weight: Fifty years from now, when bariatric medicine is as reviled as eugenics or phrenology, are you going to tell the kiddies a heroic story about how you stood up to the weight bigots? Or are you going to have to explain your less-laudable choices?

Marilyn Wann
Author of Fat! So?
San Francisco

Katy St. Clair responds: I take it back: Not all fat people are jolly.

Latest posts

Back