• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Since when are hips a crime?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutButterfly

Has anyone else ever noticed the phenomenon of the disappearing hip? I read an article once (it might have even been on here, I hate myself for having no clue where to find it) about how the average waist to hip ratio has changed in US dramatically since 1940, with the models in the 2000s having significantly smaller hips. Ever since then I've been on the look up for pear shaped models and low and behold there aren't many (if any).

My question is this: when did having hips become such a crime? I've asked a good amount of guys about this (all non FAs) and even they claim that full hips on a woman are attractive. It's us women (well not us exactly, the universal us) who have criminalized the idea of hips. And, as a pear shaped woman myself, I'm not gonna lie. It makes me pretty damn angry. :mad:

For example, I just bought a new skirt. It's one of those high waisted ones that poofs out at the bottom. I bought it because I liked that it's flowy and comfy and I thought it brought my waist in. And the first thing my mother says to me (I know, I know, such a bad idea to even ask her opinion) is "oh, it makes you look... hippy. why do you want to look bigger than you are?" She says that about *everything* I buy because guess what? I HAVE HIPS! My hips are a good 50 inches. You can't hide them. And I'm sick of stuffing myself into spanx just so the world doesn't have to look at them. She's not the only one to make comments like that. Even my thin friends go out of their way to not emphasize their hips or complain about them.

I'm just not understanding when hips were suddenly criminalized. When was that natural, feminine beauty was made into something so undesirable?

Latest posts

Back