Sports Illustrated Fattest Model - Hunter McGrady: Morbidly Obese or pleasingly Plump ?!

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by waldo, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019 #1

waldo

waldo

waldo

Many of you have no doubt already seen this young lady who first appeared in SI Swimsuit issue in 2017. It seems she has gained 'a few' since her debut and is representing super-legit for the BBW movement in her latest appearance, Needless to say, she is generating some online 'chatter' regarding whether her appearance in the magazine is simply a PC/SJW stunt. My theory that perhaps it is an attempt to gain a few new acolytes (FAs both male and lesbian could fit the bill) is likely more of a flier. At the end of the day, a world in which such beauty exists is all good with me.
    https://www.si.com/swimsuit/model/hunter-mcgrady/2019/photos#1

2. May 14, 2019 #2

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Loves a challenge! Staff Member Global Moderator

First and foremost, Hunter McGrady is just plain beautiful! Her size is irrelevant. There is no getting around that fact that she is physically pleasing to the eye. People who are anti-fat, fat haters, fat shamers, or even fat attackers can agree that she is one of the most alluring women on the planet. Why is it that when someone who happens to be larger than average size makes it, it has to be called a political correctness stunt? How do some people get to be so full of themselves that the natural order of things does not apply to them?

Do you realize how long it takes to shift the societal mindset concerning long held beliefs in this country? This world? Do us all a favor and hearken back on any of the issues of bygone days and think how long it took to change them. Racial issues, gender equality, sexual identity. How long did it take for those things to be recognized, argued/debated, brought to the fore, championed, martyred, and finally show some fruition? Years? Decades? Centuries?

Why would anybody who considers themselves FA/FFA/BBW/SSBBW/BHM/SSBHM have a dispute with one of their own making headway, especially in the entertainment world? Or worse yet, why does someone feel the need to apply a negative label to those who, with obvious foresight, have provided an avenue for plus-size models and performers to be visible, celebrated, and successful? I don't get it. A voice is a voice. No matter how or where it comes from, it's still heard. Do you want people of size to be represented or not? Baby steps. Everything is baby steps.

As long as there are larger-than-life people who have the skill, confidence, and fortitude to step out in front of a camera and take the world head on, I'm going to be a fan. So all of the Ashley Grahams, Robyn Lawleys, Tabria Majors', Tess Holidays, and Danika Brishas in the world will have at least one fan who is not going to question how they made it. And I don't care how they got where they are or who gave them their shot. I'm just glad they did.

* I am now OFF my soapbox*

BBW MeganLynn44DD and Ilegalpat like this.
  3. May 14, 2019 #3

waldo

waldo

waldo

It seems you may have misinterpreted my intention in making this post. As a 50 year old FA who has been aware of my 'preference' since a very tender age, I absolutely cherish a woman like Hunter for representing for fat acceptance. My mention of her being described as 'morbidly obese' is a reference to the comments of 'haters' that I have seen posting comments to online stories which have chronicled her most recent SI Swimsuit Issue photoshoot. And believe me, I have posted multiple responses in support of fat acceptance. My only issue with Hunter is that she appears to be too into the intersectional SJW scene. To me it it is much more simple: boy likes fat girl - boy and girl do as any others - no SJW or other nonsense required - simply pure human sexuality (of a slightly different strain).

4. May 14, 2019 #4

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

BigElectricKat wrote:

"People who are anti-fat, fat haters, fat shamers, or even fat attackers can agree that she is one of the most alluring women on the planet."

On what evidence do you base that statement? Pardon my peevishness (or don't), but "I think I speak for everyone" and variations thereof really bunch my undies.

Personally, I agree with you, BEK. IMO, Hunter McGrady is a 100%, bona fide, certified (by me) bombshell-pinup! I'm no sports fan, but putting Hunter McGrady in Sports Illustrated almost tempts me to pick up its swimsuit edition. But, waldo is correct. Not everyone -- especially fatphobes -- can (or wants to) get past her size and build (which, for me, is ideal and absolute perfection).

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. May 14, 2019 #5

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

Haha she’s petite compared to some of the partners I’ve had! :D

Seriously she’s just perfect.

6. May 14, 2019 #6

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I base that off of an informal poll I've taken of 41 people of varying backgrounds. 92% of which agree that she is unequivocally gorgeous. The other 8% felt they needed a caveat like "for a fat girl" or "if she wasn't so big". To which I had a few choice words.

7. May 14, 2019 #7

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

No. I did not misinterpret what I've read. You've stated it twice here. You throw around the acronym SJW (I believe that stands for Social Justice Warrior) as though it had some derogatory significance. I just don't get why some people feel the need to demean folks who are vocal proponents of fat/size acceptance. Again, I feel a voice, any voice, is good for opening eyes and spreading awareness. If there were never any SWJs then blacks (and other minorities) could still be in chains, women could not have the right to vote (among other things), gay/lesbian/trans and others could forever stay in the closet, and people of size could barely be heard and definitely not seen. Every movement toward inclusiveness, togetherness, and social equality started with a so-called Social Justice Warrior carving a path for others to follow. Don't think it hasn't.

Dan DeLeon and loopytheone like this.
  8. May 14, 2019 #8

Phred

Phred

Phred

Don’t forget Hunter’s older sister, Michaela. She is equally stunning.

9. May 15, 2019 #9

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

BigElectricKat,

Well said, spot on, and right on! You r-o-c-k, BEK!!!

10. May 15, 2019 #10

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

You do realize that Plus Size models are making out more prominently today because these so-called Social Justice Warriors called Body Positivist feminists (who happens to be an offshoot of the very movement behind why this forum exists, e.g. old school "SJWs") were sensibilizing society against size stigma and systematic fatphobia, right?

Perhaps because of your male gaze, you feel entitled to look at plump and bigger women like those eye-fetching commodities we boys can leer at and fantasize about. But they are human beings: nothing is wrong to fight for the right to be treated as such.

Also, let's putting between parentheses the well-known fact that if we all enjoy this modern lifestyle today, that's because some of our ancestors used to be Social Justice Warriors both technically nay litterally (as they were fine ready to wage war for their ideals) and did everything to topple these dominant ideological systems much everyone but them judged unquestionably reasonable nay superior... exactly like what some people does today when some women like Hunter stand out for an ideal.

Nuff said.

Dan DeLeon likes this.
  11. May 15, 2019 #11

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Phred,

Thank you for the announcement!

And "Thank you!" to Mr. and Mrs. McGrady (Michael and Brynja)! This is what happens when Beautiful People procreate!

[​IMG]

Stunning and sensational progeny, Pa 'n Ma! Bravo, you done good!!!

12. May 15, 2019 #12

waldo

waldo

waldo

When I mention SJW nonsense, I am referring to intersectionality and 3rd wave feminism. I know my opinion on this is rare in this forum, but I see the fact that fat acceptance was thrown into that basket of oppression interest groups has been to its detriment. And yeah that male gaze, such a nasty thing:rolleyes:

13. May 15, 2019 #13

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I agree that Fat Acceptance, Fat rights, Fat liberty, has been squashed by the BoPo movement. The BoPo movement and size acceptance peeps are very clear that it is ok up to a size. Do any of you really think a female is fat at a size 14 or 16? When the focus went to body positivity, fat rights went out the window. You can still get fired for being too big, denied access places, and a host of other things.

Much like your thoughts that you only like women up to a certain size. And you also are the one who has categorized women between 400 and 600 pounds as carnival side show freaks. Your attitudes are fat phobic.

It is great to see the increase in diversity of size in media. Sports Illustrated is maybe not the social Icon we want to hang on to.

waldo and AmyJo1976 like this.
  14. May 15, 2019 #14

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

DragonFly,

You've partially confused waldo with me. I'm the one who ". . . categorized women between 400 and 600 pounds as carnival side show" acts.

You asked, "Do any of you really think a female is fat at a size 14 or 16?"

Personally, I know zip about womens' clothing sizes (and I really don't care about them). I know what I like and what I don't like. So sue me.

15. May 15, 2019 #15

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Gotta remember: It's not what each of us thinks personally but Western Culture as a whole still considers a woman size 10 as being on the chunky side. I personally understand a great deal about women's clothing. I've spent a great most of my adult life trying to get women out of them!

loopytheone likes this.
  16. May 15, 2019 #16

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

Then, for you the complexity of feminism from the vessel of an untraditional nonwhite, non-heterosexual, non-thincentered view alike Body Positivity are ibcluded amongst these things?

You know, this is important to know by where to strike the very target we dislike while making some social commentary about a broader ideological specteum because this same medium is grouping so many divergent movements that when you just decide to say: "I disike them all" without clarify whom/which and why... the reader may suppose that something is something on something . Just saying.

17. May 15, 2019 #17

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

Yet, there has plenty of fat women beyond the said ranfe of size who promote Body Positivity.
    While indeed, the very soecific movement has been hijacked by many, many women ranging from being barely plump figured to aesthetically-homely fat women who, in their turn, doesn't have any qualms to disregard with contempt those much bigger than them, I opine the very issue is about a movement been hijacked by its own commercial success and vanity, not the message.

18. May 15, 2019 #18

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I would disagree with this statement. Who cares where the message that 'fat can be beautiful' comes from as long as it's out there and people see it? And if just one person has their eyes, mind, and heart opened, it can only be a good thing IMO. But what do I know. I could be way off base here.

John Smith and DragonFly like this.
  19. May 15, 2019 #19

Volt01

Volt01

Volt01

VOLKSWAGEN DRIVING SHORTSTACK LOVING BADASS

She aint obese, just chubby.

DragonFly likes this.
  20. May 15, 2019 #20

waldo

waldo

waldo

Hmm I guess that comment about 'side show freaks" must have occurred in another thread. Was the comment actually the posters own view, or more so him describing how general society still views people of that size? For me in what I personally find attractive, I have always gone toward the larger end of the scale, and so I share your frustration of the very incremental approach that many have pursued.