Sports Illustrated Fattest Model - Hunter McGrady: Morbidly Obese or pleasingly Plump ?!

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by waldo, May 14, 2019.

1. May 15, 2019 #21

waldo

waldo

waldo

Your post seems a little incomprehensible to tell you the truth. Like what the hell is "the reader may suppose that something is something on something" supposed to mean??

But I think you are somewhat getting at what I am trying to describe about my problem with fat acceptance having been bundled in with all theses other interest groups. As it is now, to be a good progressive, you must support a variety of issues: feminism (including 'pro'choice'), LGBTQ+, illegal immigration, 'body positivity', etc etc. So while I personally may not have a problem with any of those interest groups, my point is what about those who may have an issue with some of the stuff the progressive left demands you to support? They can not actively support what is remaining of fat acceptance since it threw its lot in with these other social grievances. In contrast as a stand-alone more non-partisan group as it began with NAAFA way back when (although I assume still fairly left leaning), they could draw support from a wider group of people with a stake in the cause but may disagree on other social issues.

ScreamingChicken likes this.
  2. May 15, 2019 #22

waldo

waldo

waldo

3. May 16, 2019 #23

Volt01

Volt01

Volt01

VOLKSWAGEN DRIVING SHORTSTACK LOVING BADASS

lets just say i took the issue to my bedroom with me.....

waldo likes this.
  4. May 16, 2019 #24

bubba350

bubba350

bubba350

She is just beautiful . I think SI took a chance on more men being open to finally admitting that big is beautiful. So many men are just pressured by society and their friends who may not share there preference. SI swim suit issue is just catered to the men readers of their magazine. I don't think they have any social justice in mind just sales.

waldo likes this.
  5. May 16, 2019 #25

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

I think that she's beautiful. She's also very brave, because she must be getting some very negative comments from pachyphobes. Models like her, whether they are male or female, I believe will make a major contributions towards making society more accepting of fat people and fat admirers.

waldo likes this.
  6. May 16, 2019 #26

waldo

waldo

waldo

If the plump girls were the only non-conventional models included, I would be more inclined to agree. But while that was the case in the past (started with Ashley Graham is 2016 and Hunter McGrady in 2017), this year they have included a model with the skin condition vitiligo https://www.si.com/swimsuit/model/winnie-harlow-/2019/photos and another who is a Muslim wearing so-called burkini (essentially a neck to ankles bodsuit) https://www.si.com/swimsuit/model/halima-aden/2019/photos
    I can't see how either of those are intended to appeal to a male demographic with a particular preference (unlike the big girls with FAs).

7. May 16, 2019 #27

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

waldo,

My actual phrase was "carnival sideshow acts" and "reality TV 'stars'." It was my indelicate way of expressing my preference for . . . "smaller" "plus-sized" women.

I'm getting the vibe that Dimensions is geared towards "SSBBW" and their admirers. If I correctly infer, the club message seems to be not "Am I too big?" but "Am I big enough?"*

Everything is relative. A yacht is bigger than a rowboat. But, put a yacht next to an ocean liner and it's "small."

Hey, whatever floats your boat. It's all good, as far as I'm concerned. Different strokes, etc. But, it's rather a shame, methinks, when a subculture that is ostracized and rejected by "mainstream" culture imposes exclusionary restrictions and itself ostracizes and rejects "its own."

* Or to get "intersectional," it's kinda like light-skinned vs. dark-skinned (Are you black enough?), Orthodox vs. Reformed (Are you Jewish enough?), and right-wing vs. left-wing (Are you 'Murriken enough?).

8. May 16, 2019 #28

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

I agree that Hunter is very beautiful she is not a twig like most SI models.
    But not really my type. She is way too tall for me and not fat enough for my personal taste.
    I do give her and other women like her props for putting herself out there to face the haters.
    By the way check out her body paint shoot. Very nice. Apparently SI likes her enough to have her in now her 3rd issue.
    And thanks BEK for the names of the other models. I will have to look them up.

9. May 16, 2019 #29

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Your carnival references are offensive. That is fat shaming, fat hate and there is no way around it. If the only way you can describe your preference for a smaller bbw is by shaming those that are not that size then you are going to find it hard to fit in anywhere.

I am not interested in your “woe is me” story that you are not welcome because Dimensions is only about the SSBBW. I am not rejecting my own, I am telling you that your fat hate and fat shaming is what is going to put you on the other side of the fence.

There are a million other ways for you to have expressed your like for the smaller Bbw. You chose the wrong way.

I’m also going to put my moderator hat on for a moment and let everyone know that fat hate, fat phobia or fat shaming of the kind being discussed is not allowed.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. May 16, 2019 #30

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I think the references to the body positivity movement are interesting. Because I absolutely agree with the idea - that we should be happy and comfortable in our bodies no matter what the size - but to hear that it has been taken over by people that place 'limits' on how fat you can be and have this apply really saddens me. Without exception, you all deserve to feel happy and at home in your bodies.

waldo, DragonFly and John Smith like this.
  11. May 16, 2019 #31

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

I think you'd figured out pretty what I mean, because you clarified it. I gonma be straightfprward in my analysis and it seems like your very issue is less about what Body Positivity stand for or not, then more about you labelling the said movement to belong from a clive of the political spectrum that veers to favor... well, what? Equal rights? Better policy over the firearms and their trading? Medical care? Taxing the riches? Or reform the immigration control system so that the prosperity might no longer behold the vision of children stripped off from their families and stocked up like animals into concentration camps by government-led agencies that has less in common with the police and more with the Gestapo? Matter of point, what'a the proper definition of "illegal immigration" when the said country in matter has been founded then prospered on the behalf of illegal immigrants and people taken in slavery by force (and I haven't mentioned the fact the current head of that very State is actually the son and greatchild of illegal immigrants, married twice to illegal immigrants and been notorious for its use of illegal immigrants as mass workers these past decades as a business empire C.E.O.??) ? Especially when the issue encompasses the underrated subtopic about native American groupings and their descendants migrating and pelegrinating inside their respective ancestral homelands?

Little to none of these social or legislative issues touch the principles behind Body Positivism. As much putting on a same basket Reaganism with Nazism, or G.o.T. along the Dune Saga and Tolkien Legendarium...

12. May 16, 2019 #32

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

I fully support people having preferences. But I've never, never-ever, met the woman that was "way too tall for me". And I'm only 5'7".

13. May 16, 2019 #33

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Hunter is 5'11" and I am 5'6". Although my wife is 5'7" I generally prefer women to be my height or shorter.

14. May 16, 2019 #34

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I've dated women as tall as 6'3" and enjoyed every inch!

15. May 16, 2019 #35

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Before we met my wife was at a bbw event and a dwarf(sorry if that is not the correct term)asked my wife if he could climb her! He meant it as humor and she replied " I do have some big mountains!"

16. May 16, 2019 #36

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I had always assumed that I was normal in my desire for taller women or rather my lack of fear in approaching them. But as I've gotten older and have met tons of people, I've noticed that many guys my height are reluctant to attempt such things. I've deduced that for me, my courage in the face of height differences comes off as confidence to some women. And as we all know, confidence is attractive to many. So, now that I'm back "out there" so to speak, I should bring along my confidence for the ride. Now if I can only find it in this dang, cluttered closet! Cluttered-Closet-e1395504208416.jpg

17. May 16, 2019 #37

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

Dan DeLeon

I share BigEletricKat's desire for tall women.

Amazon_Amanda.jpg Amazon_Blythe.jpg
    I'm taller than BEK, but shorter than the all-important, minimum height of six feet yearned for by most women. My single attempt to date a gal taller than I was an embarrassing, miserable failure. She simply wasn't interested. Like almost all women, she required a man who was taller than she.

Must be some biological, congenital, female need (the tired, ol' hunter-gatherer thang). Yawn!

I always get a "kick" out of "Amazonian" gals who yearn for a taller, bigger, stronger man so that they can feel "safe and protected."

Honey, you're 6'6" and built like a Sherman Tank! Give up on the dream of being carried across the marital threshold, already! Yeeesh!

18. May 16, 2019 #38

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Just about every girlfriend I've had from the age of 28 has been taller than me (I am now 55). My now ex-wife was 5'10". We were married 22 years. My girlfriend before I met her was 6'0". Perhaps my success with the tall ladies has something to do with my body type at the time or maybe just because I'm scary looking they felt safe and protected?

19. May 16, 2019 #39

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

A lot of women prefer taller partners but not all of them do. It's the same as any other preference.

For what it is worth, I prefer shorter guys. BEK, you are the same height as my boyfriend, and that's perfect to me! My ex fiancee was around that height too. I'm actually not into really tall guys all that much as I'm only 5'2 and don't want to be constantly straining my neck trying to talk to somebody a foot taller than me. Also, shorter guys are cute and adorable!

wrenchboy and BigElectricKat like this.
  20. May 16, 2019 #40

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I agree. Everyone has preferences. I've found that many taller women will find themselves attracted to shorter guys but won't date them for a couple reasons:
    1. They feel obligated to date someone their height or taller based on societal norms.
    2. They are somewhat shy/introverted and don't like the attention the size contrast brings.
    3. They may like a shorter guy but feel obligated to make tall babies.
    I know that's more than a couple.

So, as I've gotten older, I am less concerned with a person's height and more about their heart. And I can honestly say that I find shorter women just as attractive as their taller counterparts. Sometimes there is so much fun packed into those lovely, smaller packages!:p

loopytheone likes this.