The Bookshelf [General]

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
I don't see a general reading thread anywhere (though I didn't plumb the agéd depths of the site), so...

What are some of your favorite books?

I read just about anything, but I tend to gravitate toward Fantasy and Science-Fiction.
The works of J.R.R. Tolkien are probably my favorite.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
If it is trashy genre stuff, I'll robably read it (barring current times romance). Science fiction, fantasy, murder mysteries (but especially historical murder mysteries), sprawling historical adventures .... basically anything that is not too much like our current world and doesn't have pretense of seriousness. I've only ever managed to go to two conventions, but at one of them I saw L. Sprague de Campe (one of the founders of modern fantasy), Patricia McKillip (brilliant fantasy writer), Roger Zelazney (I guess you'd call his work fantasy, but he really is distinctive), and Steven Brust (fantasy), four of my favorite authors. Among newer authors John Scalzi (science fiction), Jim Butcher (fantasy), Charles Stross (call it 'alternative current realities'?), Barbara Hambly (mostly historical murder mysteries now, but I first found her as a fantasy author), Marion Bujold (science fiction and fantasy, but mostly just books about intensely human characters), Susana Gregory (historical murder mysteries).

I also read a certain amount of non-fiction, often of the 'history of this topic' sort (coffee, chickens, London, whatever).

We have a book case in just about every room of the house, but they are shared and not super organized. Here is a couple of shelves of one of them, not necessarily fully representative of my tastes, but somewhat. (also I get a lot of books out of the library)

Attachments

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
I like your Tolkien collection, @Barrett!, and not that it's relevant, but I also like your bookshelf :)

I love reading. I tend to go through phases though, and can go through months or years dedicated to one genre, and then completely switch it out for something else.

When I was in high-school, I picked up a book by Victoria Holt (also known under many other pen names), and my love for period mysteries was born. Your mention of Susana Gregory, @Tad, reminds me that she was someone that I'd like to read.

My bookshelf collection is quite bare at the moment, after I had a wee purge last year for charity. The ones left, are either favourites that I can't bear to part with, or that I've yet to read. Tucked in there is Faerie by Raymond E. Fiest, whom I know is a fantasy writer, but this is a little removed from his normal style. It's spine is now very fragile.
Another that I will always keep, is Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons. Her writings had me fall in love with Maine and thoughts of the Deep South.

I did go through a fantasy phase with the Bitterbynde Trilogy by an Australian author, Cecelia Dart Thornton.

Another favourite is Jean M. Aule's, Earth's Children series.

For a while there I was convinced I wanted to be a forensic pathologist, because I couldn't get enough of Patricia Cornwell.

Oh, Anne Rice, because vampires. I think I should stop here, because I could go on forever. Sorry :oops:

20210208_085222[2052].jpg

This is the top half. The bottom is filled with either cook books, art books, movies and the random reading material I don't reach for as often. I do need help reaching the ones at the top though.

Last edited:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I, too, am a sucker for historical mysteries: John Maddox Roberts' 'SPQR' series is a favorite. I'm also a fan of P.G. Wodehouse, Christopher Moore, and the late Sir Terry Pratchett.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
@Dr. Feelgood I like the SPQR stories too! (but read all of those from the library). If you like the ancient rome setting, I'll suggest Lindsey Davis's works, all starting with The Silver Pigs. There was a huge pile of books with the main character Falco, and more recently she switched to stories about Falco's adopted daughter Albia (who took up her father's old 'informer' business, even using his old offices in her first stories)

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
This is another prized book in my collection, the 2007 English translation of Hermann Abert's 1923 biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(Originally published in German.)
It is a very comprehensive work. The main text is 1,345 pages. The five appendices, a bibliography, and an index bring the length to 1,515 pages.