The Model or the Message?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

pani

While watching Last Holiday again late at night, this awesome commercial came on featuring a gorgeous BBW dancing in her underwear. I had to look it up and share on my FB. Sorry to see that the unlikes outnumbered the likes on UTube. I wonder though, if it is b/c people are confused about the message. It plays all these "shoulds" like "I should lose weight, eat more salad yada yada yada, but the last message is "Stop Shoulding Yourself!" I wonder if it is lost b/c the internalized harping and health nags are so strong people tuned out the point of the commercial? Or course it could be b/c we are still not ready for a beautiful fat girl to be that comfortable with herself, but other fat women like LIzzo have been well received. (At least in comparison from past decades.) Thoughts?

The video

An article about the philosophy behind the ad Halo Top Promotes End Of 'Shoulding Yourself'

sarahee543

Shes still an idealised fat shape, as beautiful as she is. Like just a scaled up hourglass. I like the message but it will never be perfect because its advertising a product too.

extra_m13

that is a good question... in this case i like the model. it is publicity yes but they have gone far enough. i love the message even do there are certain things that cannot be ignored. publicity aside, what is the best message to deliver to our young and not so young ladies? personally i would to see a mandatory weight gain, no lady should weigh less than 400 pounds and photoshop is forbidden but that is probably not a very good idea. i think it is important not go to the other extreme, from critizing the minimum ounce of fat to critize any kind of life... when you are 'ok' emotionally and in selfworth you tend to take healthier choices and that wll lead you to have a balanced life. for example, this lady is a bit soft but the is ok, hot, sexy, happy, an extreme would be to say, you dont need to exercise or let that slice of pizza, finish it all, an have an image of a bed bound fatty , bad message as well i think, so, live your life be happy and if that means being skinny and fit, we should all understand, is not the weight but the attitude and the inner peace

Latest posts