The Vegetable Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
The older I get, the more I love vegetables. At the grocery store yesterday, I picked up artichokes and zucchini. :eat2:

This week I plan on stir-frying with a little sweet and sour sauce and chicken breast with the zucchini, and having the artichoke maybe with some burritos or barbequed chicken another night. I love it boiled with a little garlic with some garlic salt or some butter.

Ryan and I also keep a huge bag of mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn) that we either eat on its own, or in noodles or rice with chicken and cheese. :eat1: Also, we've got a bag of soy pods, and always a few tomatoes on hand for a salad or bruschetta.

What kinds of vegetables is everyone eating this summer, and how are you preparing them?

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
I LOVE roasted veggies. I take whatever I can get fresh like - peppers. tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, fresh corn taken off the cob, and anything else you like. throw it all into a bug shallow pan chopped up. Salt and pepper add garlic and toss everything in olive oil. Broil at about 400 degrees until veggies are soft ye crunchy around the edges (about 45 minutes stirring avery 10 minutes or so) :eat2:

Roast zuccinni and corn on the cob on the grill. I would use olive oil and salt and pepper or you could use butter.

I would serve both over rice or polenta.:eat1:

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
Veggie ragu

Peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, eggplant (cut up in mediem size peces.)

Put everything in a pot on top of the stove. Use just enough whole peeled tomatoes to just cover.
Season with salt, pepper, basil, and/or oregano to taste.

Simmer on the stove for at least an hour or until the veggies reach a soft cooked stage.

Serve over rice or polenta or eat as is.:eat1:

kr7

I love steamed edamame, but it's got to be the fuzzy kind (not the naked ones). Popping them out of the pod is half the fun.

Chris

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
When you come to Texas I will cook for you and Ryan - Lasagna and meetballs and all the fixins!!;)

IdahoCynth

Cockchafer
I find myself in cooking boredom land.

I use a lot of broccoli and cauliflower steamed or microwaved. I eat baby carrots raw. I bake potatoes and I love my canned peas and slices of tomato on sandwiches.

I like zucchini and yellow squash and corn on the cob and buy them frequenty in summer. I like to grill the squash or make the fritters or just dip it in egg and flower and fry it, I also use it in stir fry.

This week I bought a green pepper, a red pepper a can of artichoke hearts and a red onion (yea I know.. living on the edge) along with my old stand bys.

I plan on making fajitas (green & red peppers and onion), stir fry (squash, broccoli, cauliflower green & red peppers and onion),
cheese broccoli soup (broccoli, onion, carrot and potato), and pizza (green and red peppers and artichoke hearts, mushrooms) over the next 2 weeks along with my usual veggies and dinners.

I went to http://www.recipezaar.com/ today and found some things I want to make... so maybe I can break out of this "not wanting to cook phase" I am in.

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
In the summer, I could live on fresh corn on the cob and tomatoes. I love the corn roasted on the grill in the husk and the tomatoes just sliced with some garlic salt and pepper. I really love cauliflower and broccoli also, raw or cooked, I don't care, I just love it.

Risible

Monkey Daze
I love summer veggies. :)

Corn, tomatoes, squash, cukes, green beans and okra are what we've got growing this year.

It's hard to beat the grill for cooking them; prep is easy, just a little olive oil, salt and pepper.

This summer we'll have a ton of peaches; the tree is loaded. However, I can hear those devilish ground squirrels gettin' fired up over the peaches. I know they're making plans. I need to arrange to borrow my sis's terrier quick-like.

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
Veggie Tempure!

Cut up your favorite veggies

Use an easy tempura batter:

Rice flower and club soda (must be cold!)

Use one cup of rice flower Add cold club soda to make a thin batter (this is a trial and error thing) but it should be thin.

Get you oil up to temp
Dip veggies in batter then in the oil.
Cook in oil til they are lightly golden

Take out of oil and place on paper towel to drain and salt immediately. It works best in a deep fryer filled with peanut oil.

This is ssssssooooooooooo good!

(Tell Ryan we have an extra room) ;)

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I cooked some Swiss chard last night: it was too darned expensive, but so beautiful I couldn't resist. I cut it up and stir-fried it in about 2 Tbsp of peanut oil, with salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. It was great! But unless the price comes down, I think I'll stick to spinach in the future.

CeCe the Porky Princess!

The older I get, the more I love vegetables. At the grocery store yesterday, I picked up artichokes and zucchini. :eat2:

This week I plan on stir-frying with a little sweet and sour sauce and chicken breast with the zucchini, and having the artichoke maybe with some burritos or barbequed chicken another night. I love it boiled with a little garlic with some garlic salt or some butter.

Ryan and I also keep a huge bag of mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn) that we either eat on its own, or in noodles or rice with chicken and cheese. :eat1: Also, we've got a bag of soy pods, and always a few tomatoes on hand for a salad or bruschetta.

What kinds of vegetables is everyone eating this summer, and how are you preparing them?

....:eat2: (salivating for all its worth)..if I wasn't such a Lady I would just admit I 'came' reading that veg post..the grub ideas are far better than some sex I have experienced!

Enjoy the grub!

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
psssssssst! Everyone! If you've ever wanted to talk behind AnnMarie's back, this is the place to do it. She won't be looking in here!

Esme

I eat so much of my world-famous (ha!) tomato and feta salad in the summer that I'm surprised I haven't turned into a tomato. I love it!

I also make an old-fashioned cucumber salad, either with vinegar or with sour cream, that I could eat all summer too.

I've experimented with all kinds of corn salads too, and my fave is one with corn and black beans.

I am sad that I just can't eat bell peppers; they don't like me. It doesn't matter what color they are. I just can't eat them. *sob*

I love to stir fry asparagus and sugar snap peas with a little olive oil and some red pepper flakes though. :eat2:

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Veggies!!!!!:wubu: :wubu:

Treat them gently and do not smother with sauces and cheese ( sorry cheese lovers )

Corn, so young and fresh that you need only boil for moments.

My sister has a small greenhouse and her cukes..oh my...so slender and mild. I just peel and sprinkle with a bit of salt, or do the vinegar and oil thing and add rings of sweet, white onion.

Grilled veggies, or baked in the oven..sweeeeet.

Tomatoes..oh, if I start to talk about my one true love, I may not be able to keep my composure..:p All I have to say is I can eat dozens, during the summer.

Oh, and Risible?..as much as I love squirrels..do not allow those buggers to molest that tree! How lucky you are to have that in your backyard!

Risible

Monkey Daze
Oh, and Risible?..as much as I love squirrels..do not allow those buggers to molest that tree! How lucky you are to have that in your backyard!

Thanks, moss. If we can catch them (we have a humane trap), we send them on an all-expense-paid trip to SquirrelWorld, i.e., the local park and squirrel asylum.

TearInYourHand

Mistress Member
I totally second Sandie's love for roasted veggies! This is my personal favorite way to eat most veggies, especially cauliflower!! It is soooo good just rubbed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roasted at about 400 until it just starts to brown!

Yummmm!

Latest posts