Tips & Tricks for life at Dims!

Discussion in 'Board Announcements and Technical Support' started by loopytheone, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Jun 8, 2018 #1

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

This thread will act as a tutorial for important forum tasks. If you have any questions or suggestions for this thread, please post them at the end of the tutorials.

Things I will cover in this thread include:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Jun 8, 2018 #2

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Posting tips & tricks

How to post a picture
    To post a picture you have saved on your computer, click the “Upload a File” button underneath the text box (circled in red below). This will let you search your computer for the picture you want to upload.

1.jpg

Once your image is uploaded, you will see it below the text box with the options “Thumbnail” and “Full Image”. Click the “Full Image” button to insert your picture into the text box.

2.jpg

If your image is already uploaded somewhere on the internet rather than saved on your computer, click the little photograph button above the text box (circled below) and it will ask for the URL of your image. Enter the URL, press “Insert” and your picture will be added to the text box.

3.jpg

How to post a video
    You can post videos that are on the following sites at Dims:

• Dailymotion
    • Youtube
    • Facebook
    • Liveleak
    • Metacafe
    • Vimeo
    To share a video from one of these sites, press the “Media” button (circled in the picture below) and add the URL of the video to the menu that opens. Press “Embed” and your video will appear in the text box.

4.jpg

How to post a link
    In order to post a link, first type the words you want to turn into a link in the text box. In the picture below, these are the words “I like cake”. Make sure you highlight these words with your mouse. Next, press the link button, which is circled in red in the image below. It will ask you for the URL you want to link to. Enter the URL, press “Insert” and your words will have become a link to the page you wanted.

5.jpg

How to quote/multi-quote people
    If you want to reply directly to a person, you can quote their post. In order to do this, click the “Reply” button underneath the post you want to quote (circled in red in the image below). This will add the quote to your text box at the bottom of the page. Add your comment underneath and press “Post Reply” to post your comment.

6.jpg

Sometimes you will want to quote more than one person to reply to them. This is called Multi-quoting. In order to do this, click the “+Quote” button underneath each post you want to quote (circled in red below).

7.jpg

After you have pressed “+Quote” under every post you want to quote, scroll to the bottom of the page and press “Insert Quotes” (circled in red below). It will open a small menu showing you the posts you have quoted. Press “Quote these messages” and all the posts will be added as quotes to the text box. Write your replies to each comment underneath them and post your message as usual.

8.jpg

3. Jun 8, 2018 #3

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Altering your Personal Settings

Your ‘Personal Details’ page
    Your “Personal Details” page allows you to change a variety of settings with ease. From this page, you can:

• change your avatar
    • change your user title
    • update your profile
    • change your signature
    • go invisible
    • add a person to your ignore list
    The easiest way to access your “Personal Details” page is to double click the little person symbol in the top right corner of every page (circled in red below).

9.jpg

Changing your avatar
    On your Personal Details page, there will be a section labelled “Avatar” with your current avatar displayed (see below).

10.jpg

Click the avatar image and you will be able to upload a picture from your computer to use as an avatar. A picture larger than 200x200 pixels is recommended for the best results.

Changing your user title
    Your user title is the little bit of text that appears directly underneath your username when you post on the forum. You can change this to a short message of your choice. In order to do this, go to your Personal Details page. Below the avatar image, you will see a box labelled “Custom Title”, circled in the picture below. Type what you want to appear beneath your name here.

11.jpg

Updating your profile
    You can chose to right a little bit about yourself on your profile or add a picture of yourself. In order to do this, go to your Personal Details page. At the bottom of the page you will find a box labelled “About You” (see below).

12.jpg

Here you can write a little about yourself. Remember to press the “Save changes” button underneath the box to save your new profile! Adding a picture here works the same way as adding a picture to a post, see “How to post a picture” for details.

Changing your signature
    On your Personal Details page, you will see a table on the left, with “Signature” as one of the options (circled in red below). Click this link and it will open up a box for your to type in.

13.jpg

You can type into your signature the same way you type a post on the forum. If you want to add a picture to your signature, please keep it small. For instructions on how to add pictures to posts, see “How to post a picture”.

Going Invisible/Altering Privacy Settings
    To go Invisible means that other users wont be able to tell when you are online or not. In order to alter these settings, go to your Personal Details page. There will be a table on the left of the page with “Privacy” as one of the options, circled below. Click this link to access your privacy settings.

14.jpg

You will see a page with a lot of options, like below. The first box, circled in red below, allows you to decide if you are Invisible or not. Leaving the box checked will allow other people to see when you are online, whereas unchecking the box will make you invisible. Your other privacy settings are here too so have a look around!

15.jpg

Adding a person to your ignore list
    There are a few ways of adding a person to your ignore list. This means you wont see posts by that person. One way of adding people to your ignore list is to use the Personal Details page.

On the left of the Personal Details page there is a table, with “People your ignore” as one option (circled in red below). Click this link and a small box will appear which allows you to type in the usernames of people you want to ignore. Remember to separate each username with a comma!

16.jpg

Another way to add somebody to your ignore list is to go to their profile and click “Ignore” in the top right corner (circled below). This will allow you to add that person to your ignore list.

17.jpg

MattB likes this.
  4. Jun 8, 2018 #4

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Misc Tips

Sending a PM
    If you want to send a PM (private message) to another user there are a few ways you can do it.

You can click the person’s username next to one of their posts and it will open up a small menu as shown below. Click “Start a Conversation” to send them a PM.

18.jpg

Another way to send a PM to a person is to view their profile. Click the “Information” tab, circled in red below, and click “Start a Conversation” to send a PM.

19.jpg

If you know the username of the person you want to PM, you can also send a PM from anywhere on the site by clicking the little mail symbol on the top right corner of the site (circled in red below). This will show a small menu with your PMs in it, and at the bottom, circled in green, is an option to “Start a New Conversation”. You will need to type in the name of the person you want to send the PM to this time.

20.jpg

Reporting a post
    If you feel that a post might break rules of the forum, you can report the post to the moderators to look into. This is the easiest and fastest way of telling the mod team that there is a problem!

In order to report a post, click the word “Report” underneath the post (circled below). This will open a small menu where you can write a note to the mod team, telling them why you have reported the post. If in doubt, report a post! The mod team will never get upset at you for reporting things and it can be a big help to keeping the forum running smoothly.

21.jpg

And with that, the tutorial is complete! Please feel free to ask any questions or add any suggestions.

5. Jun 8, 2018 #5

Sir Jeffrey

Sir Jeffrey

Sir Jeffrey

Thanks. I always pass this kind of stuff by and then can't remember where it went so ....just posting so I have this "bookmarked".

DragonFly likes this.
  6. Jun 9, 2018 #6

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Glad you find it helpful =)

DragonFly likes this.
  7. Jun 11, 2018 #7

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Once again Supper Loop to the rescue, thank you for your time and energy. You make things better for all of us.

loopytheone likes this.
  8. Jun 11, 2018 #8

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

This is all great information.

9. Jun 11, 2018 #9

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Glad to have helped, everyone! =)

10. Jun 11, 2018 #10

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

Thanks for the tips!

Curiously, I don't seem to have the "Custom Title" option on my profile though...?

11. Jun 11, 2018 #11

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Hm, really, that's strange. Could you show me a screenshot of what your Personal Details page looks like? (you can PM it to me if you don't want to show the world!)

12. Jun 11, 2018 #12

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

Not a problem!

dims.png

13. Jun 12, 2018 #13

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Hm, okay, that is strange. Give me a little while and I will try and figure out why that is and get back to you, thanks for telling me!

14. Jun 18, 2018 #14

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Okay, the user title option not showing up should be fixed now. If you look in your Personal Details page it should be there now.

15. Aug 1, 2018 #15

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

Poster formerly known as lovelylady78

With the changes in format, part of me was hoping against all hope that we would now be able to change our usernames without having to create a whole new profile. Is this a thing we can do now or still no? I've always hated my username (my own fault). I didn't put any thought into it because I had originally only intended to lurk when I first signed up. :D

Saxphon likes this.
  16. Aug 1, 2018 #16

Saxphon

Saxphon

Saxphon

I don't find your user name misleading ...... I find it quite accurate. :)

WVMountainrear likes this.
  17. Aug 1, 2018 #17

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

It was possible to sometimes get the admin to change names in the past, if I recall correctly. Talk to the mods to see if this is still possible or not.

18. Aug 2, 2018 #18

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

WVMountainrear

Poster formerly known as lovelylady78

Is it possible to change our usernames?

Colonial Warrior likes this.
  19. Aug 3, 2018 #19

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I think that has to go through the admin. I will send a message.

20. Aug 3, 2018 #20

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

On my phone, when I try to open a new tab to the fiesfnew post, it takes me to the bottom og that page instead. Anyone found a fix for that?