Toxic Fat

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

bigmac

A new UC Davis study "shows that not all obesity is the same and some body fat may actually be toxic."

Once again it appear that the conventional wisdom that all fat is the same comes up short. The UC Davis researchers have found the fat cells of people suffering for metabolic syndrome are physiologically different from the fat cells of obese people who do not have metabolic syndrome.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110824131848.htm

Authors, acknowledging that behavior modification (i.e. dieting) doesn't work, stated that "researchers need to address the dysfunction of fat cells, using existing or novel drug therapies to block the production of damaging biomarkers." In plain English that doctors need to find a way to treat the pathology not just tell people to loose weight.

Good job UC Davis -- keep up the good work

MissAshley

Enigma
"doctors need to find a way to treat the pathology not just tell people to loose weight."

:bow:

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
A new UC Davis study "shows that not all obesity is the same and some body fat may actually be toxic."

Once again it appear that the conventional wisdom that all fat is the same comes up short. The UC Davis researchers have found the fat cells of people suffering for metabolic syndrome are physiologically different from the fat cells of obese people who do not have metabolic syndrome.

Authors, acknowledging that behavior modification (i.e. dieting) doesn't work, stated that "researchers need to address the dysfunction of fat cells, using existing or novel drug therapies to block the production of damaging biomarkers." In plain English that doctors need to find a way to treat the pathology not just tell people to loose weight.

The idea that they can identify this "toxic fat" is interesting, however, can you imagine the ways that big pharma will use this information? Eek. They love money, and there are a lot of fat people out there....

Serenisis

Definitely an interesting read, I'm glad you posted this! It's a step in the right direction, although it does have some limitations -- the concept of "toxic fat" makes sense, but I fear that all this will be shrugged off or minimized and classified as just another excuse for being fat. It's going to take a lot of open minds...

The idea that they can identify this "toxic fat" is interesting, however, can you imagine the ways that big pharma will use this information? Eek. They love money, and there are a lot of fat people out there....
The thing is, metabolic syndrome has been recognized for a long time. I've personally been having it "treated" for a few years now. There are so many different signs and symptoms and it actually takes a number of different medications to address each condition that fits the description, all of which are used as standalone meds for each individual condition anyway. There's no one "super drug" for it -- yet! The syndrome itself is still too obscure because of all the boxes that need to be checked in order to be officially diagnosed, so the money that would be needed to pour into research and testing for it just wouldn't make sense when other meds already exist.

Science still has a looooong way to go :)

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
A similar report like this broke maybe a year or two ago. I recall a very unscientific discussion of this topic where someone speculated that weight loss may in fact release these toxins into the blood stream and could quite possibly be the trigger cause for some of these obesity related illnesses. the info could be seen and interpreted many different ways. I might just be a real toxic fattie.

Qit el-Remel

Geek and FFA
Hasn't this been known for a while now?

Even so, it's good that the information may be getting out there a bit more.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
The thing is, metabolic syndrome has been recognized for a long time. I've personally been having it "treated" for a few years now. There are so many different signs and symptoms and it actually takes a number of different medications to address each condition that fits the description, all of which are used as standalone meds for each individual condition anyway. There's no one "super drug" for it -- yet! The syndrome itself is still too obscure because of all the boxes that need to be checked in order to be officially diagnosed, so the money that would be needed to pour into research and testing for it just wouldn't make sense when other meds already exist.

Science still has a looooong way to go :)
Oh yeah, the syndrome was defined years ago and there are many "treatments" for it. I'm just saying that now there is a new, discrete target, and drug companies love that. They will definitely put in the R&D to selectively target these "toxic" cells - maybe it will work out, but I suspect that it will be disasterous (just because it usually is.....).

Hasn't this been known for a while now?

Even so, it's good that the information may be getting out there a bit more.
It was known that fat can bind and subsequently release all kinds of molecules, but I don't think they had determined that the fat cells of people suffering from metabolic syndrome were physiologically different.

swinglifeaway

I have a few friends that even though they're thin, they eat the worst ready made and preservative filled foods all the time and they seem to think they're healthy because they haven't packed on any extra weight. My parents were in the same category and now they're paying for it (and verbally beat it into me... which I'm not complaining about). It's like dragging your feet through glass to get them to realize it's going to lead to serious problems later on while I know others who are considered overweight eat healthy foods and will most likely end up with less issues in the end :)

imfree

In Remembrance
A similar report like this broke maybe a year or two ago. I recall a very unscientific discussion of this topic where someone speculated that weight loss may in fact release these toxins into the blood stream and could quite possibly be the trigger cause for some of these obesity related illnesses. the info could be seen and interpreted many different ways. I might just be a real toxic fattie.
:eek:We used to run through the DDT clouds that sprayer jeeps made, back in 1967, when I was 12 and Dad was stationed at Fort Knox.:eek: DDT is known to settle in fat cells. I wasn't fat back then and didn't gain weight that summer, so it's a safe bet that I didn't carry any residual DDT. The toxin breaks down in 14 years, so any I could have picked should be long gone by now. I still wonder.:confused:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
:eek:We used to run through the DDT clouds that sprayer jeeps made, back in 1967, when I was 12 and Dad was stationed at Fort Knox.:eek: DDT is known to settle in fat cells. I wasn't fat back then and didn't gain weight that summer, so it's a safe bet that I didn't carry any residual DDT. The toxin breaks down in 14 years, so any I could have picked should be long gone by now. I still wonder.:confused:
Seems as if your cells may have been Bronko Tough! ready to kick ass of any toxin.....

Radman1110

The issue of toxic fat is a serious health issue that should not be ignored. The biochemical pathology has been elucidated in last decade indentifying dysfunctional biochemical reactions that lead to metabolic syndrome. Some people lack the ability to handle excess lipids resulting in deposition of the lipids in muscle, liver, etc. and leads to inflammation in fat cells. The inflammation can lead to Type II diabetes and the whole dysfunctional process cascades into further deterioration of ones health. I personally know of this condition because I have it. My body can not handle excess lipids where my triglycerides are extremely high without medication. The high triglycerides can lead to diabetes and hypertension. In addition, other biochemical processes break down leading to a lower quality of life. I ignored my condition for years where I reached a point where I knew something was wrong, so I went to see a doctor. Going through several tests, I was prescribed gemfibrozil for high triglycerides and placed on blood pressure medication. I went through drastic changes by exercising a lot and losing weight. Now, I have a strict regimen of lifting weights and doing a lot of cardio work and also watch what I eat. Finally, I have normal numbers and my quality of life has improved by many fold from the health changes. Today, I still take the gemfibrozil and two blood pressure medications. In hind sight, I wish I would have made these changes when I was a lot younger.

Latest posts

Group builder