Turnaround Time

Discussion in 'Weighty Fine Arts' started by LJ Rock, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Sep 9, 2019 #1

LJ Rock

LJ Rock

LJ Rock

This is a question to all of the 'creators' who hang around here; all the writers, artists, musicians and other people creating content. I'm just wondering how long it generally takes you to finish a piece, whatever that may be. For example, to the short story writers: how long might you spend on a story, or a single chapter of a multi-chapter work, from first draft to final product? Or for artists, how long would you spend working on one drawing or painting?

I ask because I feel that, as I've gotten older, I feel like I am less willing to spend a lot of time on one particular project. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I feel like if I am not able to express whatever it is I am attempting to get out within a 'reasonable' allotment of time, whatever my initial motivation was has faded away and I am just chasing something that isn't there anymore; I begin to feel as though my energies would be spent better elsewhere and I'd rather just move on to a new project. This generally seems to work for me, so long as I am able to actually finish something.

For poems, song lyrics, simple drawings, etc. this works out okay, but when trying to do something a little more substantial or long-form, it gets difficult to maintain the motivation. Like I would love to be able to put together a book of short stories accompanied by some illustrations, or even a short novel. Alas, I have not been able to do this yet.

And yes, I do have ADD. :eek:

Anyway, I would love to get some feedback from some of you on this topic. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

2. Sep 21, 2019 #2

littlefairywren

littlefairywren

littlefairywren

Chi Chi

Hiya, LJ. I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy sketching and have also been watercolouring for a while now. I've found that if I have any niggling doubts about a piece I've started, then I'm more than likely to go through an annoying stop start phase that is frustrating and hits my confidence. The bin has seen a lot of the stop starts hehe.

If I'm really into my subject matter, then I become a tad obsessive (I dream paint) and it all just flows and feels natural. When that happens, I can work on and finish something in three to four days...if I'm allowed to. I live with a non-artist and he doesn't understand my need to focus. I get fidgety if I can't paint or draw when I want to.

Am I rambling or did that answer your question? :)

3. Sep 22, 2019 #3

LJ Rock

LJ Rock

LJ Rock

Hey... long time no see! :) Good hearing from you. Yes I can totally relate to what you're saying. I think I've gotten to a point where if I find myself having too many doubts about a particular project then I need to walk away from it, or at least put it on the back-burner for a while so I can focus my energies elsewhere; there comes a point where I find myself just going in circles, redoing the same things over and over and it becomes totally unproductive.

Of course, the challenge is - like with most things - finding solutions to problems, figuring out how to get over certain obstacles creatively to say or express whatever idea it is you are trying to get out. This takes a LOT of focus, and yeah unfortunately the not-so creative people we find ourselves living amongst don't always understand this. The struggle is real!

Ideally we should surround ourselves with people who support what we do, eve if they don't entirely understand it. Is this asking too much?