Quantcast

Ulla Popken and why you should not order from them

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
So, as some of you know, I ordered a dress a while ago from Ulla Popken. I was a little miffed to see that it was going to cost nine dollars to ship it, but it looked so pretty that I was willing to go for it.

So, it finally got here today. For 49 dollars, I expected a better fitting, better QUALITY garment. No dice. As I'm getting ready to package it up, I notice that they are going to charge me 6.95. 6.95 FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT MY FAULT. That brings my shipping cost to try something on that didn't fit 15.90. Fuck, are you serious? When I called, they told me that I could pay to have it shipped another way, but honestly, I still won't be saving any money.

Any fucking company who has the balls to charge nine bucks to ship something that doesn't even weigh half a pound, and then wants to CHARGE me to return something that DOES NOT FIT ME does not deserve business. I have no choice but to pay! If they had stores, I could (theoretically) try it on in person, but no. I have to pay a fucking fee.

I'm not shopping there, and neither should you.

volatile

That is one of my biggest gripes with mail order. I HATE it.

Do they still charge you if the item you get is defective or damaged in some way? I've never ordered from Ulla Popken so I'm not familiar with the policy on that.

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
That is one of my biggest gripes with mail order. I HATE it.

Do they still charge you if the item you get is defective or damaged in some way? I've never ordered from Ulla Popken so I'm not familiar with the policy on that.
They probably don't care.

SamanthaNY

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄&
They're known as "Ulla-No-Sweater-Sending-Popken" at our house.

Damn right I carry a grudge. I really wanted that sweater.

kayrae

doot doot doot
Dang, well I'm glad I didn't try to buy anything.

AshleyEileen

chunky
Has anyone had a good experience? I'm interested in hearing the other side of the spectrum.

TraciJo67

Has anyone had a good experience? I'm interested in hearing the other side of the spectrum.
I don't think it matters. The complaint isn't about the quality of the clothing or the price of the item, it is about paying to ship an item ... twice ... and ending up with a great big gigantic nothing in return. I'd be angry and upset about that too. It wouldn't matter how wonderful the store was otherwise; I'd never shop there again.

I think that when people shop online, and the item wasn't a match for whatever reason, the business itself should be responsible for ALL costs associated with both shipping the item to the customer, and receiving it back into inventory.

SamanthaNY

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄&
I don't think it matters. The complaint isn't about the quality of the clothing or the price of the item, it is about paying to ship an item ... twice ... and ending up with a great big gigantic nothing in return. I'd be angry and upset about that too. It wouldn't matter how wonderful the store was otherwise; I'd never shop there again.

I think that when people shop online, and the item wasn't a match for whatever reason, the business itself should be responsible for ALL costs associated with both shipping the item to the customer, and receiving it back into inventory.
This is where companies like Zappos and Endless are be really smart. Both offer free shipping (frequently overnight) AND free returns, always. It allows customers the freedom to order things just to try them on. That's something customers really miss with online ordering, and big hurdle for some people in terms of trying online shopping. I know this practice has built a tremendous amount of customer loyalty, which undoubtedly turns into sales.

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
This is where companies like Zappos and Endless are be really smart. Both offer free shipping (frequently overnight) AND free returns, always. It allows customers the freedom to order things just to try them on. That's something customers really miss with online ordering, and big hurdle for some people in terms of trying online shopping. I know this practice has built a tremendous amount of customer loyalty, which undoubtedly turns into sales.
Yes! I cannot stand having to do returns; its really a pain in the ass trying to make sure I get it all repackaged just like so. Ugh and I have a feeling I'll have to do that with the two orders I just placed at Roaman's and Silhouettes. I will never understand why a store charges for returns.

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
In Remembrance
Yes! I cannot stand having to do returns; its really a pain in the ass trying to make sure I get it all repackaged just like so. Ugh and I have a feeling I'll have to do that with the two orders I just placed at Roaman's and Silhouettes. I will never understand why a store charges for returns.
I would guess because shipping is expensive in the quantities they ship. Also, you are paying for shipping even if they say it's free. They jack up the prices of products so you pay more. It's a marketing ploy.

olwen

Disco Bear
The thing tho is that an online retailer that does high volume business is bound to get special shipping rates thru UPS or whoever. Something that might cost a consumer $10 to ship might cost the company $3. So the shipping cost becomes part of the profit. An extra three dollars to the price of an item is cheaper than paying to ship yourself. Online retailers who sell to plus size women know that we are more likely to do mutlitple returns for one item, so they should figure out a way to work the cost of shipping into their business model so that we would be more willing to shop online. Or they can start using models whose body shapes more closely match our own so we don't have to do some mental gymnastics trying to figure out how a thing will fit on us. We'd be more likely to buy something that will actually fit and in turn do fewer returns.

I don't do much online shopping because of the shipping. I stick to brick and mortar stores, but consequently, I don't have a very varied wardrobe. If I were supersized I'd have no choice but to shop online or I'd have to learn how to sew. It's annoying. You end up paying an extra $$ just on shipping on items for which the quality isn't very good. You get screwed. They know there isn't much competition too, so they can pretty much charge what they want.

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
In Remembrance
You end up paying an extra $$ just on shipping on items for which the quality isn't very good. You get screwed. They know there isn't much competition too, so they can pretty much charge what they want.
Now that is the godawful truth. I don'y clothing shop much because of this. When I do I shop Love Your Peaches because Janelle is wonderful. Simple truth I buy her clothes because I just love her. :)

Cat

Gone baby gone
Hunt around for the "discount codes" or "coupon codes" on Google. Often Ulla Popken, and other online clothing retailers for that matter, has free shipping offers or at the very least 15% off if you look around for the code.

Nevah evah pay full price online -- always look for the codes and use them!

volatile

Hunt around for the "discount codes" or "coupon codes" on Google. Often Ulla Popken, and other online clothing retailers for that matter, has free shipping offers or at the very least 15% off if you look around for the code.

Nevah evah pay full price online -- always look for the codes and use them!
I'm a thrifty shopper and I rarely buy anything like clothes if I don't have a coupon or it isn't on sale. I always use retailmenot.com. I can always find a good coupon there to use.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Wow, I'm apparently out of the loop. I have primarily bought from Roaman's, Woman Within, and Lane Bryant Catalog. Those sites all make you pay for return shipping. I honestly didn't know it was done any other way. The only store I shop at where I don't have to pay for returns someone already mentioned - Zappos.

Carrie

Wow, I'm apparently out of the loop. I have primarily bought from Roaman's, Woman Within, and Lane Bryant Catalog. Those sites all make you pay for return shipping. I honestly didn't know it was done any other way. The only store I shop at where I don't have to pay for returns someone already mentioned - Zappos.
Same here. I don't like it, either, but it seems to be the way of business for most of the larger size places like the ones you mentioned. I do always search for coupons that either offer free shipping, or offset the cost of shipping via a different discount. Would be heaven if everyone followed Zappos' business model.

I do think UP charges way too much for initial shipping, though.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Yeah, I do that, too, Carrie - forgot to say. :) Retailmenot, which someone already mentioned, is my go-to site, but I also always google "[retailer's name] coupon code" because sometimes there are others to be had elsewhere.

And I haven't bought from UP in a long time, so I'll take yours and Tooz's word for it. I think the last stuff I bought there just wasn't really wearable - really low quality - and I just started discounting them as an option.

AshleyEileen

chunky
I just had a recent happening with Torrid. They sent me the wrong size and the return shipping and shipping for the correct item were both free.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
I think small people stores, and small bbw stores do this because there is competition - the only catalog stores super-supersized women can shop at don't have to, because they know they have the market cornered. We have 3 options instead of 30 or 300.

Latest posts