• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestial Ceece

SSBBW Singer
As a Vermonter, I've never been more proud to be from our amazing state. In 2000, we legalized Civil Unions, after the Vermont Supreme Court ruled that not having gay marriage/civil unions for gay people was unconstitutional. So our legislature took up the issue and passed Civil Unions.

Then, this year, the legislature decided that marriage provides more equality than Civil Unions do. Gay marriage would mean a lot for our state, but the most important thing this bill offers is EQUAL RIGHTS! Civil Unions fell short on certain issues such as the ability to see one's partner at a hospital.

For the past few weeks, it has been a battle, but not an uphill one, as most Vermonters support gay marriage. Though we might have a state the is largely democratic and progressive (and the legislature is made up of a democratic majority), we still have a Republican Governor. That made this all the more interesting because for a while, he was mum on the issue, saying it was a waste of time. He didn't say whether or not he would veto the bill until just recently.

Then, last night, as the bill passed through the House (after passing the Senate) the passed legislation was handed to the Governor's office, then promptly (and dramatically) handed back by his staff. He had already made his position clear and was symbolically saying he didn't accept it. Then his pen came out and he vetoed it. Marriage should remain between a man and a woman, he argued.

This morning, the Senate overrided the veto easily. The house was different - there was speculation that the bill might not pass the house because prior to this morning, the numbers didn't add up FOR gay marriage. Then the vote came and the house decided to support gay marriage, and overrided the Governor's veto.

I have been active on this issue and have written emails, made phone calls, and have also been on the receiving end of phone calls from the opposition (how in the heck did they get my number in the first place - I'm on the do not call list?). The opposition left a message on my machine: Please call and tell so-and-so to support Governor Douglas and something something marriage between a man and a woman, something something God, etc.

Anyway, what an exciting day for Vermont! I am happy to be here and queer, and thankful that our state is so progressive! Now who wants to marry me?

Latest posts

Back