WALL-E was a RIPOFF!

Discussion in 'Weight Board' started by Zoom, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1

Zoom

Zoom

Zoom

Rogue

Now the truth can be told!

In the late 1970s, Nelvana made some clunky animated TV specials that aired in Canada and the US. I remembered one of them, and was astonished to see it again after 30 years, considering it seems to be the source material from which Pixar shamelessly stole from for WALL-E!

The cartoon is called Romie-0 and Julie-8.

The idea of two robots falling in love, the "boy" robot having to clean up an entire garbage world, and lots of fat people, are all here!

The plot is as follows:

Two rival companies make "the perfect robot". A company run by fat men (pic #1) makes a boy robot and a company run by fat women (#2) makes a girl robot. Both robots meet at the trade show (#3) and the girl robot is nearly bought by a real creepy guy. However, the robots are seperated once the show is over (#4) and they discover they are in love with one another.

They both run away and walk the streets in search of fortune. It turns out, however, the robots can't seek their destiny if everything on the planet is humanoid-centric and doesn't cater to robots, so they meet with the creepy guy in a dingy back alley and agree to take his job. They zoom off to his planet.

The female CEO is being massaged while eating lots of fattening goods on a conveyer belt (#5, I kid you not) when the "robot missing" alarm goes off. Suspecting foul play, she contacts the male CEO who is in the shower; who puts on a towel and they argue about what happened to their robots on the balcony (#6). Finally they figure out where they went and decide to follow them. The female CEO jumps into the male's spaceship and they take off in pursuit.

Meanwhile, the planet turns out to be full of garbage that needs cleaning up (#8). The creepy guy (#7) is saying life isn't so hard after all, and convinces Romie-0 to start the massive cleaning job. He finds a nice robotic dress for Julie-8 in the meantime (notice she isn't expected to do any of the work? Rather sexist of them, assuming the robots actually have genders).

The creepy guy leaves other robots in charge, which end up capturing the CEOs in a net (wish I'd screengrabbed that one) and the star-crossed robots save the day by having to, er, carry their bosses to safety. They make it (barely), creepy guy loses his shirt (I forgot how), the bosses fall in love (#9), the end.

[​IMG]

Music by John Sebastian.

I was going to find a good place to upload this thing so everyone could see it, but it proved impossible owing to the enormous size of the file and lack of time to upload. Apparently it only exists in old VHS copies from the 1980s. There was a torrent 4 months ago, which is now no longer being seeded.

2. Jan 22, 2009 #2

FaxMachine1234

FaxMachine1234

FaxMachine1234

you know it

What? Yeah, it covers some of the same keywords, everything else (the design of the robots, whether they talk, the actual story, the context for that story...the royalty characters) aren't the same at all! Honestly, if you lay side-by-side all stories involving robots serving humans, they'll all have a lot of similar characteristics but that doesn't mean they're ripping each other off.

Now, The Lion King's a different matter...

3. Jan 22, 2009 #3

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

Kimba the White Lion, anyone?

RV :eat1:

kimbathewhitelion.jpg

4. Jan 22, 2009 #4

Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Forth?

I think that, if we look thoroughly, we'll find a lot of comics/cartoons etc. that are inspired from older ones. If we'd call that rip-off, we wouldn't find much original stuff, I fear...

5. Jan 22, 2009 #5

MsGreenLantern

MsGreenLantern

MsGreenLantern

Keanu Drakula The Centaur

Yeah, most cartoons now-a-days are rip-off/new versions of ones from when I was a kid. Updated My Little Ponies, updated Strawberry shortcake, updates Holly Hobby... etc

6. Jan 22, 2009 #6

isotope

isotope

isotope

What?

...I heard that Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a ripoff of this film back in the 70's with Gene Wilder.

Keep that on the down low though.

7. Jan 22, 2009 #7

FaxMachine1234

FaxMachine1234

FaxMachine1234

you know it

Not to mention how obscure this "source material" is...

8. Jan 22, 2009 #8

george83

george83

george83

DADDY IN A DRESS

I've also heard that the first film was a rip off of a book written by Roald Dahl :eek:

9. Jan 22, 2009 #9

No-No-Badkitty

No-No-Badkitty

No-No-Badkitty

Purrrrrrrrr~

I disagree it was a rip off. Two robots who fall in love is about the extent of the similarities. Worlds covered in garbage are nothing new. And rival companies are nothing new.
    If we wante every story of "boy meets girl" to be totally original, we'd have stopped at one about 50 years ago.
    Hell, we might have very well stopped at Romeo and Juliette.
    It's called inspiration. New artists, writers, actors, learning from the old ones. What makes it original is how it is delivered.

Timberwolf likes this.
  10. Jan 23, 2009 #10

Seth Warren

Seth Warren

Seth Warren

May she always be True

And Tim Burton's film is more true to the source material, making it the superior movie. That and Gene Wilder is kind of creepy.

11. Jan 23, 2009 #11

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

12. Jan 23, 2009 #12

george83

george83

george83

DADDY IN A DRESS

It's true that Burtons film is more true to the source material but the original movie has a huge place in my heart, I grew up with that movie and Gene Wilder is the man :).

*sings I got a golden ticket*

13. Jan 23, 2009 #13

FaxMachine1234

FaxMachine1234

FaxMachine1234

you know it

14. Jan 23, 2009 #14

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

:eek: Good Lord! I remember watching this when I was a kid!! I usually have an encyclopedic recall of cartoons and pop culture from my childhood, and how this one escaped me I'll never know...

The impact that it may have had on me from an FA point of view, consciously or subconciously, is WAYYYYY too heavy to contemplate right now. I need to go sit in the corner quietly and meditate on this...

On topic though, I haven't seen Wall-E yet to comment on whether or not it was a ripoff...but man! Has this thread ever messed me up today!!! Good work!!:bow:

15. Jan 25, 2009 #15

Hathor

Hathor

Hathor

stolen child

WALL-E sucked anyways. Stupid movie.

16. Jan 25, 2009 #16

kayrae

kayrae

kayrae

doot doot doot

Romeo Juliet, that's awesome!

17. Jan 25, 2009 #17

That Guy You Met Once

That Guy You Met Once

That Guy You Met Once

The concepts are the same, but beyond that, they're not similar in the least.

BTW: I haven't seen Wall-E (just trailers and synopsises) but I disagree with the accusations of sizeism. Sure, it can be interpreted as sizeist, but that's not how I see it.

18. Jan 26, 2009 #18

marlowegarp

marlowegarp

marlowegarp

I wanna meet that dad

The new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was god-awful. It had the squirrels, that's it! The original movie was written by Roald Dahl. Like all remakes, it was totally unnecessary. Tim Burton needs to retire. He's like John Woo in that he will never have another movie as good as his first.

I see what you all mean about originality, though. Romeo and Juliet is itself a ripoff of the Greek myth of Pyramus and Thisbe.

19. Jan 26, 2009 #19

Judge_Dre

Judge_Dre

Judge_Dre

The depiction of fat, lazy humans dependent on technology in the future comes from Dr. David H. Keller's "Revolt of the Pedestrians," first published in Amazing Stories in 1928. If I could get my photo scanner working, I would have posted an illustration from a sci-fi book I have showing the fat future people.

Of course when I think of Wall-E and rip-off, I automatically think of Johnny 5 from "Short Circuit."

wall-e_johnny-5.jpg

marlowegarp likes this.
  20. Jan 26, 2009 #20

BigBeautifulRed

BigBeautifulRed

BigBeautifulRed