wedding dresses for ssbbw?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Paul

javascript:showimage('53wedding/67176.jpg')javascript:showimage('53wedding/67176.jpg')Try these:
One from Love Your Peaches
The 6x is listed to fit 34W-36W Bust 62-70 Waist 58-68 Hips 68-76
http://www.loveyourpeaches.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=321

Peggy Lutz
expensive but gorgeous
the 2x is listed to fit 34W/36W Bust 61-75 Waist 60-68 Hips 71-78
Here is one style I particularly like: http://www.plus-size.com/CyberStore/index_bridal1.php?path=spring001.shtml
Peggy Lutz has several other wedding gowns.

Congats on the wedding...You will find the perfect gown to make you the most beautiful bride. Don't be afraid to budget for a local seamstress to fit the dress to your exact measurements.

ciaobella said:
Hi!

Of all the clothing dilemmas being a ssbbw has caused me, finding a wedding dress for my 2007 wedding is definitely the worst. I've checked many designers size charts and discovered none of them make dresses big enough to fit my belly (60 inches).

I'm from Canada and seeing as the States tend to cater much better to ssbbw I'm curious as to whether any of you know of a company or designer who makes dresses up to a 60 inch waist....also the one company I have not been able to find a size chart for is David's Bridal, anyone know if the 26W is made big?

Any help would be sooooooooooooo appreciated!
Big thanks :)

SamanthaNY

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄&
I love that as well, Sam! Do you have links to the dress and coat by chance?
Indeedy I do -

Both are designed by Nataya, and are amazingly inexpensive for wedding wear. I bought mine from here, but other good vendors are here and here. And one very helpful vendor, tho with limited stock is here. The coats and dresses go up to a 3X. My favorite stuff... just lovely lovely.

The one dress I wish I had (and someday, probably will), though not Nataya, is similar in style:
. And yes, I'd even keep it blue. There's an entire range of dresses like this one that are custom order (thus - expanded sizes available), but not overly costly in terms of wedding attire.

If you're interested in anything like this and would like some resources, let me know - I have scads of links and information from research for my wedding. I'd be happy to pass it along!

P.S. I tried some Peggy Lutz designs - even flew out there for a fitting - and really wasn't impressed with what I would be getting for the price she wanted. PM me if you'd like the story.

tinkerbell

I had always wanted a big wedding and a princess type dress, something like this one:

But have decided that whenever I do get married, we'll probably get married on a beach, in a smaller wedding (due to $$ and that my bf doesn't want a huge wedding) But anyway, I've found THE dress that I want to get, its actually from Lane Bryant :)

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009350&nav=

Its just so simple and pretty :)

RedHotAva

www.sydneyscloset.com has a lot of great stuff. I ordered a prom dress from there once and it was beautiful! They have really beautiful wedding gowns, and I'm pretty sure at least half of them come in supersizes, if not all.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
In Remembrance
Boteroesque Babe said:
The 2006 Toilet Paper Wedding Gown Contest! Economical! Adjustable! Biodegradable! (And one of the entrants in this year's is a big girl.)
That's a riot! Pray for NO rain!

ciaobella

Hello all!

I figured I should give you all an update on how my wedding dress shopping is going.

I haven't yet ordered anything, I have found many options that will allow me to have a custom cut dress (Casablanca, Private Label by G, and Venus to name a few designers offering this services)...which I've discovered I wouldn't even need if it weren't for the fact that dresses are made for pear-shaped women and not for those apples among us...is it just me or since in most dresses the hip measurement doesn't matter wouldn't have made more sense and catered to more people if they designed with apples in mind, just once :rolleyes:

Other than that not much to report, though if you are planning or will be planning on wedding dress shopping be armed and ready to deal with the ignorant attitudes of women who can't fathom why a man would want to marry a fat chick. You wouldn't believe how many times they just assume it's my skinny bridesmaid that is the one getting married...little do they know she's my secret weapon; she loves to attack when they offer less than pleasant service and for a lil' one she sure is scary when her friends' are being mistreated :eek:

Sweet Tooth

Deep. W i d e.
There's a bridal salon here in Michigan that carries gowns up to size 30 in stock. They don't have a huge selection, but I was able to try on gowns in my size [about 15 available] and purchase a gown off the rack. They order gowns also, but I had 7 weeks to get a dress and that wasn't enough time to order and alter. I couldn't fit into anything at David's Bridal off the rack, and they would've wanted quite a bit more to custom make a dress for me.

I didn't get a dream gown, but I got one I liked for less than $400. It's worth a day trip for BBWs in the region who are desperate!
Becker's Bridal

View attachment tefsmarty_wedding_72dpi-adjusted.jpg

curvydiva

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have been looking around, great site.

Anyway I came across this thread and wanted to tell you about http://www.curvydiva.co.uk We are a plus size/super size ladies clothing store and specialize in sizes 16-54.

We have a great range of wedding dresses and can make bridesmaid dresses to match.

We also have a great Mother of the Bride range.

Please do take a look and if you have any questions please do drop me a line. I will do all that I can to help.

Best wishes
Zara

ciaobella

Hello girls!

We are exactly one year to the date away from my wedding and so how fitting that today was the first step in the process of me having my dress custom made by a designer here in town. Please keep in mind that these pics are of the pattern only. The final product will have the top in velvet and the skirt in taffeta. All burgandy and two pieces. My dream come true! :D

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1182/4339968/9149153/215532288.jpg

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1182/4339968/9149153/215532298.jpg

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
The final product will have the top in velvet and the skirt in taffeta. All burgandy and two pieces. My dream come true! :D
One of the things I love about Dimensions is that it seems no matter how unusual your situation, someone has experience with it. This time it is my turn! Believe it or not, I can offer a word of advice based on experience with the burgundy velvet wedding dress. My wife’s wedding dress was actually burgundy velvet (she did want burgundy velvet, although the dress overall was a frustrating experience and not quite what she had wanted). I think it is a beautiful, rich, color and fabric for a dress, and you'll look stunning in it!

Just one word of caution: in most of our pictures my wife's dress came out pretty much black, and you can’t make out her contours in it, she is kind of a silhouette. (Sorry I can’t offer pictures, she does not like her picture being distributed electronically). We’ve had more than one person look at one of our wedding photos, and ask hesitantly “You wore a black dress for your wedding?” which by now is mostly funny, but was less so at first.

I am not knocking the burgundy velvet, I’m just saying get a better photographer than we had! Ours was an acquaintance, who was just getting started in the business, and he relied mostly on the ambient lighting. Unfortunately the dark velvet seemed to just drink the ambient lighting up, at least in terms of photographs—what looked burgundy to the eye came out much darker in photos. So make sure your photographer knows about your dress, and ideally you want one who understands the issue and has solutions already. (an aside, I don’t regret our choice of photographer, ours was a small, cheap--wife was still a student, I was not making too much yet—and friendly wedding, so having someone we knew as photographer was nice, and he was willing to take on the job even though we didn’t want too many pictures taken i.e. he wasn’t going to make all that much. But I wish we’d known how the dress would show up in pictures and we could have compensated appropriately).

Also, your guests’ pictures may have the same issue, so you may want to consider having the lighting fairly bright at the prime photo opportunities (the ceremony, cake cutting, etc). I think though that maybe part of the issue is how the velvet deals with overhead light versus light coming in from the side, because of how the fabric is?

I guess the other thing you can do is take some pictures of your own of the dress as soon as you get to try on the final product, and see how it comes out in the photos. One thing that may help you is that these days pictures can be adjusted digitally, so even if the raw pictures are a little dark, a lot of people will be able to adjust back to more realistic coloring.

I really don’t want to make you feel nervous at all about your dream dress! I think it is really just an issue of a little advanced preparation and you’ll have photographs as great as the dress (and almost as awesome as you).

Regards;

-Ed

Paul

-Ed,

There is a way to fix your photos. Scan the ones you want to fix. Then find someone with a high end graphics program. If you know what you are doing the photos can be color corrected. On my Mac I use the freeware program GIMP (also available for Linux and Windows). Many use Photoshop, but I don't have more enough money to spend for a graphics program ($500+). I have taken photos I thought were ruined and colour corrected them to the point that they appeared the way they were intended. Often all a bad phot requires is linear colour correction, an easy correction to perform. If linear colour correction fails to restore the photo there are other corrections which can be used to correct a bad photo. Once the photo has been colour corrected you can take the file to a printer to have the photo professionally printed.

Paul.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Thanks for the tip. At this point I doubt we’ll change them—we’ve gotten used to them that way over the 12+ years (wow, is it really that long?). It would have been cool to have done that at the time, although it was more of a minor disappointment for us than a major trauma.

We pretty much knew in our hearts that we were married, so the whole wedding shebang was mostly for everyone else, so that they’d know too. Between that and just who we are, for us souvenirs of the wedding were not a big deal. But I know that for many people those souvenirs are much more important, so I hope everyone gets the pictures of which they dream.

-Ed

Trisha

Lard of the Rings
I'm getting married on October 13th....so chosen for the opportunity to use the natural decorations that Mother Nature provides at that time of year!

I lucked out bigtime, as I found a never worn display model (tags intact) Alfred Angelo bridal dress at Goodwill for $80!!! It was likely at least $400 new. It's a size 28, and I'm usually a 32 or so, so it will need some panels in the sides of the bodice, but apart from that, it fits great....perfect length and everything. We are bearing the brunt of the wedding expenses ourselves, and to save SO much on the dress was a blessing.

Going to try to post a picture:

View attachment dress3.JPG

SamanthaNY

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄&
Beautiful, Trisha! I love how it's sort of simple and elegant. Just enough decoration...

FYI for anyone else looking for a dress (wedding or other... pricey, but gorgeous), Martin McCrea goes up to a 5X.

Paul

Wow! what a lovely dress for $80. You look very beautiful in the dress. If possible could you post a picture after the dress has been altered to size it up.

Trisha

Lard of the Rings
Thanks, Samantha! I was really wanting something with as little frou-frou as possible, since I am so NOT frou-frou! The detail doesn't show up great, but the panels up the center of the bodice are of a lovely beaded flower pattern, and the back has identical patterns on either side of the zipper (which is hidden under a row of the tiny white satin-covered buttons that I LOVE!). There is a tiny bit of the beading on the cap sleeves, and apart from that, it is purely plain white satin. Exactly what I wanted. So very lucky!

And thank you, Paul! I will be sure to post pics after I have it altered. Luckily my mom is a seamstress and will likely be able to do the alterations herself, meaning I'll only have to pay for materials!

NFA

Results STILL NOT typical
That's really a gorgeous dress and an insane find for only $80 even if it needs a little modification. I think the understated look is really fantastic and you look incredible. Congratulations. The really is tremendous good fortune, and I hope it bodes well.

Latest posts