What languages do you speak?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

da3ley

Do any of you speak anything other than English? Just curious. I speak English ofc, Spanish, and at the moment, Im 64% fluent in German which btw has taken me over a year to the present. Dutch is next.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Do any of you speak anything other than English? Just curious. I speak English ofc, Spanish, and at the moment, Im 64% fluent in German which btw has taken me over a year to the present. Dutch is next.

Wie genau sieht denn - bzw. hört sich an-64% fließendes Deutsch aus....??? ;)

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
Tha mi tuigsinn & ’s urrainn dhomh a sgrìobhadh taing do mo sheanmhair, ach chan urrainn dhomh mo theanga a phasgadh timcheall na Gàidhlig.

ETA: I can read & write it thanks to my grandmother, but I have never been able to wrap my mouth around Gaelic. So, technically I cannot speak it. When I was little, my grandmother spoke to in Gaelic (Scottish dialect) and I would answer back in English. Yes, I know, I’m weird.

Last edited:

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Serious question - what is it with these %-points language skills? Where does that come from and how do you measure it?

I'm familiar with the TOEFL or DELF language competency measuring systems, or the level A1 to C2 - but what exactly does the percentage measure? Does it also take into account active and passive competency - which can vary incredibly (just thinking of Spanish in my case)?

kyle

"Beam me here Scotty"
English, French (4 years in High School) can still kinda, maybe, babble,
(LOL) starting to learn Spanish

da3ley

Wie genau sieht denn - bzw. hört sich an-64% fließendes Deutsch aus....??? ;)
😂
Ja, genau?
It sounds incomplete is what it sounds like, but I don’t have too much left to go.
Ich mache diesen kurs seit einiger Zeit im Duo. Ich kann spreche Deutsch besser als Satzbau. Für mich ist der Satzbau schwierig. Es ist nicht einfach ich denke.
tchüss. Auf Wiedersehen

da3ley

Tha mi tuigsinn & ’s urrainn dhomh a sgrìobhadh taing do mo sheanmhair, ach chan urrainn dhomh mo theanga a phasgadh timcheall na Gàidhlig.

ETA: I can read & write it thanks to my grandmother, but I have never been able to wrap my mouth around Gaelic. So, technically I cannot speak it. When I was little, my grandmother spoke to in Gaelic (Scottish dialect) and I would answer back in English. Yes, I know, I’m weird.
Omg I love Gaelic! It’s beautiful. No you are definitely not weird

English - Fluent
Spanish - Conversational but used to be fluent. Somewhere between Latin American (mostly terminology) and Castellano (accent).
Italian, French and Portuguese - A handful of words but some okay understanding of the mechanics. Sometimes I can read and understand Portuguese words because of the similarities with Spanish.
Japanese - Very casually but terrible with the written characters. I lived in Okinawa as a teen, and my mother taught English for a few years.
Very basic words like "Hello" and "Thank you" - Thai, Korean, Tagalog, German, Russian, Mandarin, Chamorro

Last edited:

Orso

Italian Mother Tongue
English People say my English is quite good
French The same
Persian People say my Persian is good
German I understand German without problems, but I respect too much the language of Luther, Goethe and Mann to speak it
Russian I used to speak a good Russian, now I'm out of exercise
Latin I had 8 years of Latin in high school, I half forgot it but I can read a Latin text without problems
Greek 5 years of Greek in high school, I forgot all of it.

Dromond

Pleasantly abstruse.
English is my native language. I know a few basic phrases of Spanish (I'm not fluent by any definition), as well as having an extremely basic knowledge of American Sign Language (a few signs known, and I can finger spell). My linguistic skills suck.

da3ley

English - Fluent
Spanish - Conversational but used to be fluent. Somewhere between Latin American (mostly terminology) and Castellano (accent).
Italian, French and Portuguese - A handful of words but some okay understanding of the mechanics. Sometimes I can read and understand Portuguese words because it's similar to Spanish.
Japanese - Very casually but terrible with the written characters. I lived in Okinawa as a teen, and my mother taught English for a few years.
Very basic words like "Hello" and "Thank you" - Thai, Korean, Tagalog, German, Russian, Mandarin, Chamorro
Awesome!!

khrestel

Finnish for obvious reasons, English, some Swedish, what's left of high school German and a bit of French. I've tried to freshen up my Swedish lately with Duolingo.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
😂
Ja, genau?
It sounds incomplete is what it sounds like, but I don’t have too much left to go.
Ich mache diesen kurs seit einiger Zeit im Duo. Ich kann spreche Deutsch besser als Satzbau. Für mich ist der Satzbau schwierig. Es ist nicht einfach ich denke.
tchüss. Auf Wiedersehen
Satzbau und Grammatik im Deutschen sind aus dem Englischen kommend in der Tat ziemlich schwierig...... ;)

In turn, most native German speakers on learning/using English tend to underestimate the language's complexities.
Without getting started on Germanophones' seeming inability to correctly use the ing-form - English is deceptive as the relatively limited vocabulary of 1500-2000 words gets you pretty far. In German, you need about 4000-4500 words for decent starters which makes taking the initial hurdle pretty diffcult.

But then - thanks also to compound words - app. 9000 words of German (quite a few of them lay words from Latin with significant overlap to English) put you in academic language territory while academic English requires somewhere between 12,000 to 15,000 words.

Viel Spaß noch beim Deutsch zu 100% lernen!

Latest posts