What year or era do you miss most?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
The Cretaceous: no television, no robo-calls (no calls at all!), and a person could really get close to nature. Maybe not too close, though. It's a damn shame about that meteorite.:(

Orchid

Yes to before tv and before the phone and tranquil sundays, a yellow sun, food sans additives, clean water etc.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
I don't particularly miss any year or time period but I do remember how "simple" things seemed to be back in my 1970s childhood:
We listened to our parents and took a punishment when we deserved one and no one called the cops or social services
There were fat kids back then but we were also active, using our imaginations and playing outside all the time
We ate what we wanted and said what we wanted
Somehow I made it to adulthood without using a cell phone and I barely use mine now.

Do I want to relive those times? Hell no, I don't miss school and childhood a bit, I just think it was a simpler time is all.

SneezeCheeze

The 90s.

The X Files, Tim Burton Batman movies, the SNES, relative economic stability (in North America, at least), and also I had zero responsibilities on account of being a toddler. That was nice.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
I miss the 80s, early 80s. HIV was just a whisper, the club scene was fun, I was too young to be there which made it even better. Skin tight Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, Nike high tops on my feet. I might have had a mullet as well but I threw away my yearbooks. High school sucked but there were a couple short years where I didn’t care..... then life went on

Rojodi

I miss the early '80s, last two years of high school - spring days working on my tan during most classes - and college. Ah, college. So many books, so little time!

MattB

Epicurean
I actually prefer today since I like where technology is at.

Having said that, I'd like to redo the late 90's. I felt much older than I actually was back then, so to better appreciate being in my early 20's would have been fantastic.

Cynthia

I came of age in the '80s as part of the Brat Pack era. The future seemed wide open, as though I could sculpt my life into anything I wanted it to be. At times, the promise of possibility was downright exhilarating.

In spite of all that, I'd choose the '70s as my favorite time. Everyone whom I knew and loved was still alive back then, and those memories are incredibly precious to me.

squeezablysoft

Aside from the advances in technology and the (somewhat, still plenty of progress yet to be made) greater inclusiveness of society, I kinda feel like the world has been going downhill ever since right around the turn of the 21st century. Like things peaked mid-90's and started coming back down around 1997 or so. And then when 9/11 happened followed by the Great Recession, that was really The End of the Good Times. I had hoped we might have a post-war bounce back like the mid-50's boom after WW2, but so far I don't see any signs of that happening any time soon.

Group builder