• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

When Cookware Goes Bonkers

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Since this is a safety issue, and I don't know where else to put it....figured the Health board was best.

Last Wednesday I was making dinner. I had a couple of chicken breasts in one Pyrex dish and in another, some veggies. When I went to check on everything, I opened the oven door...pulled the rack out a bit...and then I was stunned by a very loud noise and immediate smoke.

The largest of the Pyrex dishes had exploded. At first I did not know what had happened. I just saw all the smoke and heard the sizzle of the grease that had hit the bottom of the oven. I clicked the stove off...was ready to go silence the smoke detector, and I stepped on a big chunk of glass. I hobbled down the hall to the detector...dribbling blood and tripping over my scared cat...going down on an already bad knee.

Now, this pan had not been hit...the oven was preheated...I added no liquids...etc...etc..

This happened to me once before, probably 7 years ago. My roomie said he also had it happen to him, and I have since talked to 3 other people....same story. On Sunday, I made a pasta dish and I seriously was feeling great anxiety, as that pan was also Pyrex. I am going to replace them with something else, but I can;'t really do that right now. When I was making dinner on Sunday, I was scared and actually jumped when the oven beeped, after preheating.

I went online and typed in ' exploding Pyrex '. I immediately clicked on this site...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html

It is CRAZY, the number of people this has happened to. People who have to go to plastic surgeons...glass embedded in walls 15 feet past a person...explosions 20 minutes after the pan has been removed...Pyrex going off in microwaves. Even people who are washing a pan in the sink have had this happen. I have also read that the company has changed its glass ' recipe ' over the years. Seems like the stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper.

I would just hope that people who use Pyrex are very careful and not only follow the manufacturer guidelines....but consider just not using the suff. I am not a stupid person and there is just no way that so many of these items should be such ticking time bombs.

BE CAREFUL!!

Signed,

Scared of her cookware...and in limping pain

Latest posts

Back