Quantcast

When I die...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
When I die, please don't put a post up about it on the Main Board. Even if you find it lamentable and I died far too young, don't put up a sad post about it.

In my area, when someone dies in a car wreck, their friends and family put up flowery crosses where the wreck happened. I made my best friend promise me that, if I ever die that way, no such cross will be put up--or that, if one is, she'll whip it right down.

I feel very similarly about the idea of having my death announced on the Main Board.

Instead, if you must, put it in the Weight Board.

Say, "She was fat and they needed a bigger coffin."

Say, "It's okay, she laughed a lot."

Say, "Well, there'll be fewer rants."

But don't ever say, "She died too young."

Don't ever say, "How unfortunate."

Such things negate the joy I have had and still have in this life I'm leading--because as far at my relationship with fat, I am leading exactly the life I want to live.

I'm about to butcher Nikki-Rosa, my favorite poem by Nikki Giovanni. I beg your understanding and forgiveness.

and I really hope no thin* person ever has cause
to write about me
because they never understand
fat love is fat wealth and they’ll
probably talk about my hard childhood**
and never understand that
all the while I was quite happy
* or fat-apologists
** or my "poor health choices"

Mishty

aluminum petunia
Very well said Rebecca, very humble.
You are truly are one of a kind.

Instead, if you must, put it in the Weight Board.

Say, "She was fat and they needed a bigger coffin."

Say, "It's okay, she laughed a lot."

Say, "Well, there'll be fewer rants."

But don't ever say, "She died too young."

Don't ever say, "How unfortunate."

Ho Ho Tai

When I die, please don't put a post up about it on the Main Board. Even if you find it lamentable and I died far too young, don't put up a sad post about it. . . .
While this poem is not entirely in accord with our theology, it is with our spirituality. You are likely familiar with it already. I believe that it expresses sentiments similar to your own.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I want everyone to throw a huge party and tell Laineyland stories and then stage a zombie march.

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
I want a nice burial plot where people can come and bring me flowers and talk to me if they want to.

frankman

The Eternal Cowboy
I want a nice burial plot where people can come and bring me flowers and talk to me if they want to.
In all seriousness, that's the one thing I am hoping to avoid. I don't want a headstone with a clever epitaph and fresh flowers every day. I want them to throw my ashes into a favorable breeze and be done with it (actually, I'm kind of hoping they toss my corpse in a volcano, that would be perfect).

Afterwards, I want the money for my funeral to be spent on booze in a bar where everybody just has a good time. I've been to 2 burials and a cremation in the last two months, and that's enough for me to know that is not what I want at all. If someone feels they have to say anything about me, I hope they do it in a cafe where the rounds are on me for the last time.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
I don't care what happens to my body after I die. That's a decision for the living. Whatever is cheapest and most convenient. Just no flowery crosses and no Main board post and if there is an epitaph anywhere, it has to be "It's okay, I laughed a lot." Seriously.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
Delicious is not always convenient.
this could be a feedee's motto. I may adopt it.

If people want to barbecue me...and if you really think hoisting my fat ass up onto/into a barbecue is the way to go: get pictures, that will be pure comedy.

activistfatgirl

donuts at the finish line
When I die, I want to be cremated. Instead of a gravestone, I want a tree planted for me and ashes scattered at its base. A flowering crab apple, beech, any pine, or weeping willow. It would be sweet if there was a dance party and everyone wore bright colors, but I won't be in a position to demand.

Latest posts