When the world isn't made for your weight.....

Discussion in 'BBW Forum' started by SuperSizedAngie, May 6, 2010.

1. May 17, 2012 #41

cl6672

cl6672

cl6672

Not many people can say they broke a bus! ;) (glad you're alright).

John Smith likes this.
  2. May 19, 2012 #42

Aust99

Aust99

Aust99

Airplane seats!!! Grrr..... The 23 hour plane trip to London from Aus (with stop over) left one of my thighs red hot and bruised for days....

3. May 19, 2012 #43

biglynch

biglynch

biglynch

http://www.facebook.com/#!/aiden.j.lynch,
    i hear that! my flight to NYC with delta was cramped as hell. The thing that really anoyed me tho was the seat belt. It was like it was custom made to just not quite be long enough.

4. May 20, 2012 #44

sarahreign

sarahreign

sarahreign

Queen of Fat Rolls

Easy solution to anything I break,spill or knock over with my tubby self: Run fatty run!!! Lol. That seems to work for me for the most part...unless its my own couch I break....then Im just pissed! Lol

5. Jun 4, 2012 #45

minerva

minerva

minerva

So here's an unusual thing to break: the mud steps cut into the bank of the Madre de Dios River. I was on vacation in Peru and went to a small resort in the jungle. Any excursions required, generally, in and out of a (small, wobbly) boat, and up and down either dodgy looking wooden steps or steps cut into the mud riverbank. When we were coming back from a canopy walk (I was nervous about that, too), we had to climb down some dodgy looking mud steps cut into the bank to get back in the boat. The worst looking step was the last one, and totally gave way under me. Slammed an ankle against the boat and got another foot stuck in the mud below. Mud all over my pants. Had a bad bruise but otherwise was okay.

The chairs in the dining room at that resort were not made for fat people, either.

6. Jun 6, 2012 #46

CaitiDee

CaitiDee

CaitiDee

Cheesecake? DimensionsModel

I don't think I've broken anything in public yet (KNOCK ON WOOD). But I'm pretty conscious of my weight so I sit down gingerly in chairs I'm unsure of, and tend to step lightly at first. Sounds like the bus thing was unavoidable though. Glad you're okay!

7. Jun 6, 2012 #47

Fish

Fish

Fish

Artist of stuff

Just broke a little stool for the shower by sitting on it wrong. I was leaning back against the dryer behind me and warped the metal legs.

8. Jun 14, 2012 #48

Critters

Critters

Critters

Two winters in a row, I went to Cuba. At both resorts, they just had narrow metal stacking chairs with very rigid metal arms that made sitting in them terribly painful for me. These damn things were *everywhere*, from every restaurant/bar area in the resorts to around the pool and around the stage, even in the hotel rooms and down at the beach (and whose dumb idea was that?? Narrow little metal chair feet SINK in sand! Even my mother, who is a damn size 4 and weighs about 90lbs was sinking. I didn't have a hope in hell!) and unless you were lucky enough to snag a lounge chair by the pool/on the beach, they were the only seating options beside the ground.

By the end of both those trips, I had big purple bruises on my hips and thighs that took weeks to fade.

As far as breaking stuff, I'm autistic and have some problems with my proprioceptive sense (I can't estimate how near/far I am from things, am clumsy as hell, I can trip over air, and I constantly knock stuff over), so I often collide with the edges of tables and knock glassware and knick-knacks off onto the floor. I avoid stores with expensive, easily broken merchandise, and I avoid those with narrow aisles and cluttered pathways.

9. Jun 21, 2012 #49

kaylaisamachine

kaylaisamachine

kaylaisamachine

I'm a Little Teapot

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kaylaisamachine,
    I went to Cedar Point yesterday. Was about to ride the Millenium Force for my first time ever. I was terrified to the point I was shaking, but I wanted to do it. I was in the front car, about to ride with my friend, start trying to buckle the seat belt. It wasn't fitting. I'm sure if I got in another cart or something it would have because it was so close that it was unbelievable, but the chick told me I had to get off. Why can't they make roller coaster seats more fat people friendly? We like to ride too, damnit.

10. Jul 27, 2012 #50

seavixen

seavixen

seavixen

Ditz Extraordinaire

This is such a constant thing for me. I'm semi-terrified of going to other people's houses, for fear of destroying their furniture. Seriously. Ugh.

I've broken two bed frames that were supposed to hold 1200+ lbs. Um, right. Chairs / stuff that you sit on, even "heavy duty" ones that are supposed to hold 2x my weight or more. Toilets - you know those wall mounted ones? Omigod. They're so terrifying. Woe unto whoever thought those things up and then put them places.

I won't go into a restaurant without someone casing it first for seating arrangements, because I'm NOT going to try to wedge into a booth, and if there are arms on the chairs - well, forget it. The last time I didn't check the seating before I went somewhere was probably 15 years ago, and it was to a symphony thing, and I really, really thought I was going to be stuck in that seat. I sat there in terror the whole time, and in awful pain, wondering how I was going to get up when it was over.

I mean, who makes public seating that even normal sized people are uncomfortable in? What the heck? How does that work?

Planes - I'm not even going to talk about those. I flew to Maui in '06, and it was awful; even the skinny passengers in our group had sore spots on their legs from pants seams and such. I also rode around on a bus there, and I thought I was going to get stuck in the aisle. Blarg! I'm really shocked that I haven't managed to break one of the step thingies on a bus or truck yet, because I seriously think it's going to happen every time I use one.

I stepped on a deck that's made of that composite wood stuff a bit ago, and the board totally came up on the end from bending under my weight. That was embarrassing... at least it didn't break, though, right? Geez.

John Smith likes this.
  11. Aug 6, 2012 #51

PinkPoodle

PinkPoodle

PinkPoodle

I find that the things I've broken (chairs, mostly) have been of poor quality and would have broken anyway. They just broke a little quicker due to the strain of my weight. I don't think it's a question of the world being made for us. I think it's a question of people constructing things half-ass to save money.

12. Aug 12, 2012 #52

seavixen

seavixen

seavixen

Ditz Extraordinaire

This is true. My husband is no more than a little chubby, but he's broken more chairs than I have.. just because they suck to begin with, and I'm more careful.

13. Aug 22, 2012 #53

Dominique

Dominique

Dominique

I am sure it was probably already broken.

14. Oct 10, 2018 #54

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

I would blame it on my kids if something ever broke and I caused it! Not really. I would make a joke out of it, not caring if people got a rise or not. Freedom is not giving a F about what people think of you or not. I am glad as I am almost there.

DragonFly likes this.
  15. Oct 20, 2018 #55

Stuffingkit

Stuffingkit

Stuffingkit

I have the fetish side of me that thinks it would be really fun to break something, but the reality is that I dont like attention and when its happened Ive always felt odd. I have a sense of humor about it, but Im also like ugh really! seriously!!! Also-just wishing the world was a little bit nicer to people of all sizes.

16. Nov 2, 2018 #56

Tracii

Tracii

Tracii

I don't go to the movies because I have vertigo but I'm sure I am too wide for any seat in the place.
    Same here Kit just being heavy draws attention so I try to blend in as best I can.

17. Nov 2, 2018 #57

fatlover1987

fatlover1987

fatlover1987

Tracii I'm sure you look super cute, as I'm a huge fan of the 'larger lady' ;)

They should have wider seats to accommodate the more voluptuous woman