• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Why is inappropriate language inappropriate?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozonloz

WARNING bad language.

OK, basically, had a conversation with the child of a good friend, he's 7, he said shit and was duely told off for it.

The bit that got me thinking was he wanted to know WHY he wasnt supposed to say it:

"Because it's a bad word."
"Why is it a bad word?"
"Because it's not very nice."
"But I can say poo. Why is that different?"
"...Because it is."
"That's stupid."
"...You have a point, but don't say it or your mum will get angry kay?"
"Kay."

*child wanders off*

So, racial slurs, homophobic slurs, any kind of word that by its nature is discriminatory in some way, I get it. Don't say it. Likewise I can see why a word that in it's original context has negative connotations is a bad word, like bastard. Bitch even, implies female dog, so again insult. Then there's blasphemy, offensive to the religious (although not to most others) so I can see why blasphemy is frowned upon. But what about words like shit? Why is saying shit bad?

An interesting example of this is (and I'm actually hesitating to type this) ****. People, especially women, hate the word. Will swear often and copiously but will not say this word. Loathe this word. But, there's really, honestly, nothing that bad about it.

It refers to the female genitalia, but many similar "bad" words that refer to it arent seen as so shocking. The only thing that makes it worde that vagina, pussy, or dozens of other words is because we decided so. This word is bad, this word is not. This word is pretty bad but we'll let it go because it isn't as bad as the other. People pick up which words are bad and which arent from each other, so popular use would single out the more prominant ones, but who or what was it that made them worse than their counterparts? Why is saying **** worse than saying twat or pussy?

Obviously genitals, excrement, other kinds of waste, things that are seen as disgusting are going to be thought as things not approriate to talk about, thus the bad words are created. I just want to know what singles out one word, one particular word as something that cant be said when the same meaning can be attached to a word that can be said. Seems daft.

Possible the thing that singles the word **** out is simply a matter of how it sounds. It's short, sounds harsh, can be enunciated with some real hate and venom in it that you really cant manage with a longer softer sounding word like vagina.

Thoughts?

Also, you were warned about the bad language at the front of my post and its not directed towards anyone, so if it offends you go to the paysite board and stare at some nekkedness till you feel better. :)

Latest posts

Back