2012-2013 NHL Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Epicurean
Sigh...as one of the token hockey guys here, and the one that usually starts this thread each year, I guess it's up to me again. I do so under mild protest, as I seem to be one of the last angry post-lockout fans. I intend to follow my Senators, but my wallet stays closed until at least the fall, or in the event of a Stanley Cup. That's the deal for this shortened season...

So, how is your team looking this year? Our coach has been cloned...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I'm weak--I can't help paying attention to the hockey going ons, no matter how miffed I am.

On the other hand, tickets have gotten so expensive that I've not gone to a game in years anyway, and we dropped our cable a couple of years ago, so pretty much I get to see what is on CBC, if I'm home on Saturday night to watch. So it is not like I'll be putting a lot of time into watching the game, one way or another.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
With the short season I expect that the majority of teams will be on the bubble for the play offs--there will be less time to build a solid lead over rivals or to fall totally out of the picture. Should make March and April exciting, and I think it is a bit of a crap shoot who finally does make it. A goalie going on a hot streak, a couple of key injuries....in a short season those sort of things have more impact.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I'm hoping the St. Louis Blues do good this season
St. Louis seems to have discovered how to rehabilitate ex-Senators who had melted down.
- Brian Elliot has been half of the possibly the best goalie tandem in the league last year and this,

- and now early signs point to Wade Redden having gotten his head removed from his nether regions and having re-discovered his form (to note: I was a huge fan of Redden in most of his tenure in Ottawa. Beyond whatever stats he racked up he was one of those rare players that when he has the puck, he seems to have more time and space than anyone else out there. Does wonders for the ability of a team to move up the ice)

Last year the Blues were mighty stingy, but IIRC they didn't score much. Hopefully Redden will add some flow to their attack, and they should be solid to go into the playoffs at 4/5th spot in their conference (sorry, don't see them getting ahead of Chicago, but who knows....)

MattB

Epicurean
Well, so much for that...

I didn't watch the game last night, so I woke up to hear the local sports radio station playing "The End" by The Doors. Then I heard the news...I haven't seen the play, but the analysis on the radio is making me sick. EK would've had a shot at the Norris, if not the Hart Trophy.

No Karlsson, no Spezza, no Cowen. What an unreal stretch of bad injury luck. With Anderson playing lights out, you have to think they may move him at the deadline for some more depth and look towards contending for next year with the kids and when the injured guys are back.

Bollocks.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I was talking with son just before he went to sleep, with a music station playing in the background, and between songs the DJ bemoaned the news.

I don't know about trading Anderson--I think he is good enough that they should hold onto him for a while, at least until Lehnar shows he can out-play him. But I'd give Bishop some starts, to spotlight him, and look at moving him. Maybe see if anyone would give us a second rounder for Gonchar, and ask Alfie if he wanted to go to a contender to take one last shot at the cup (put no pressure on him, but see what he wanted). I'm not sure that there are any other veterans that I'd move at the deadline, but I guess the team should listen to all offers.

Basically, try and improve what we can get at this years draft while giving the kids lots of ice time. Try not to plunder Bingo too badly, so they can still make the AHL playoffs (they are top of the league currently, but fading with how many of their top players have been called up). Let a lot of the young guys get a playoff run there, and come back hungry next year.

MattB

Epicurean
We still have a very bright future, but right now this is painful. I was just starting to get emotionally attached again. I'm glad I didn't see it live last night...

At least it's a team of battlers, they'll keep up the fight for the rest of the year. The Paulrus will accept no less...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
In some ways, maybe it is for the best? I think this shows how dependent the team is on a very few players to generate offence, and this is surely the last go around for Alfie. This hopefully
a) gives a lot of other players more the opportunity/push to work on getting the puck in the net,

b) breaks some of the psyhological reliance on the stars (amongst some of the other players--I think the Paulrus, as you called him, wants all his players contributing)

c) gives the team a higher draft this spring, hopefully adding another legit top line player in a few years, when Spezza starts to slow down too.

But yah, the start of the season gave me high hopes...

NoWayOut

Look, this is far from over. As good as Karlsson was, he isn't the entire team. Who knows, maybe we can win without him and come back even stronger from it. We just need to go 18-14-4 to make it. We can do it.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I tried to hold back from watching any hockey because of the bullshit lockout, but i'm a Canadian girl. :)

They've been hot too, what's not to love?

Yah, Vancouver is looking as good as any team in the league that isn't called "The Blackhawks." So go Vancouver! (i.e. give us a Canadian team to cheer for other than Toronto.....)

MattB

Epicurean
Outside of the horrible start for Washington, Chicago is really the big story for me. It's still somewhat early, but what a way to jump out of the gate.

I'm also interested to see if Edmonton finally gets into the playoffs this year.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Oh, i'm still pissy about it for sure, but you know that most of the players really just want to play. I agree...I can't just walk away. Haha.

I'm still bitter! I'm still not buying tickets, but I just can't stay detached from it...

NoWayOut

The lockout got me 35% off at the NHL store once it was resolved. As far as I'm concerned, if that's the result, they can lock out every year as long as we still have a season.

Latest posts