• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

34 stone teenager

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mergirl

i was reading the post about the channel 4 documentary on Renee Williams which i watched and balled my eyes out..i didnt know she didnt make it before i watched it and was waiting for i guess some "happy" ending..it was so sad.
There was another documentary i watched last year which made me SO angry i almost threw my tv out of my window.
it was about an 18 or 19 yr old girl who decided (well was shown no other options really) to have a gastric bypass.
it was clear that she was given no psychological help before hand AT ALL and although the slant of the documentary was that the surgery had changed her life because she thought that being 34 stones had held her back in life i couldnt help wondering what difference psychological help would have made to her.
i know that certainly it would have been a better option than really risky surgery ..
i accept that she wanted to loose weight..and said that this op would be the only way.. but she was young and if she decided that she wanted to loose weight she could have been offered less drastic help.
She more of less said that she still has an eating disorder (except for now she just cant eat).. but with POST op counciling she felt she was working through those issues..
why the hell wasnt she refered to someone PRE OP!!!???
giving someone with an eating disorder a gastric bypass is like giving someone with a broken leg morphine forever.. the initial problem might not be so noticable but the leg is still broken..
you have to get to the root of the cause..
and i'm not saying everyone who is fat has an eating disorder..but this girl DID (she also quite obviously suffered from depression and grief).. but it was sad that she had to have her body mutilated and her future quality of life (in many ways..i.e not ever being able to eat normally again) reduced.
i think that the fact that after the operation you can only ever eat radically reduced amounts of food can only make you obsess about eating all the more..
i really dont get it...
and that documentary made me so angry..
i feel the N.H.S (especially the mental health sector) really let this girl down.
so sad really..
mer

Latest posts

Back