• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

A Non-Political Thread: Fusion Power

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Practical Fusion Power Happen?

• Yes, any year now! Keep at it!

• Yes, but not in my lifetime. I support the investment, though.

• Maybe, maybe not. I don't know enough to decide.

• It might be possible, but it's not worth the money to find out.

• It'll never happen, and we need to stop funding it immediately.

• I really don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dromond

Pleasantly abstruse.
Research teams have been working on fusion power for decades. In the United States, the National Ignition Facility is where the work is being done. In Europe, it's ITER - an ambitious project to build a large scale fusion reactor in France. I have no doubt Russia and China are working on fusion power as well.

The problem isn't getting a controlled reaction. We can do that now. The problem is making it energy efficient, with the reactor generating more energy than it consumes. That is the big hurdle. This press release from the NIF says "mankind is on the verge of fusion ignition!" Yeah, heard it before. We've heard it for 60 years.

Green energy supporters hate it. They think it's big, showy, expensive, and a total waste of money. They also hate it because it is "nuclear." There is a knee-jerk reaction against any atomic age power, even though the fusion reaction doesn't leave much in the way of radioactive waste.

Skeptics say it'll never happen. It's going to be vaporware forever.

Supporters say it'll happen someday, and we need to keep plugging away at the puzzle.

Dreamers are enchanted by the possibility of near limitless clean power and it's ability to transform society.

I'm a supporter of the research effort, but I don't think there will be practical fusion power reactors in my lifetime. Taking the long view of history, I still think it's worth the cost to keep building our knowledge base so one day humanity will finally cut this Gordian knot.

Latest posts

Back