BHM tips for back pain?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by Starling, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Feb 15, 2019 #21

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Great points, Shotha! I just want to add that decent posture is also pretty broadly a factor in appearance. I struggle with posture myself so I know it isn't easy, but it is a worthwhile struggle.

Shotha likes this.
  2. Feb 16, 2019 #22

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

Tad, if you can talk about it with friends and family, ask them to remind you about posture, when they see you neglecting good posture. Children can be very good at correcting us, if we make a mistake. So, any children in your family or your friends children would be good helpers with this. Music teachers are good at instilling good posture.

Tad likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2019 #23

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

This talk about posture is really interesting to me. I have joint issues that mean sitting/standing up straight is never a comfortable option for me. But for you normal jointed people, does it feel better to sit/stand with good posture?

4. Feb 16, 2019 #24

bigisland

bigisland

bigisland

Yes

loopytheone likes this.
  5. Feb 17, 2019 #25

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

That's a good point, Tad. It took a while for the penny to drop as to why this is so relevant to minimizing back pain but now I see that it is relevant. You say that a good posture is "a factor in appearance". Slouching around makes us look lazy and couldn't-care-less. Stand or sitting upright makes us look active and alert, as if we are ready to engage with those around us and to take interest i what's happening. It make the difference between being a fat lazy slob and being a BHM or BBW. As it gives us a more positive image and makes us look more attractive to others, it can give us more motivation to work on maintaining a good posture. This is the first time that I've realized that looking good can contribute to minimizing back pain.

6. Feb 17, 2019 #26

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

These matters are never a one-size-fits-all matter. For most of us, a good posture does make us feel better, i.e. have less back pain. Next time that you see a doctor or therapist or other appropriate healthcare worker, it might be worth asking if adjustments to posture could reduce pain or bring other health/wellbeing benefits.

loopytheone likes this.
  7. Feb 22, 2019 #27

escapist

escapist

escapist

Belt Buster!

Call me crazy but the best exercises hands down are barbells. I've had a severe back injury to the point my left leg is still numb. I was often in HORRIBLE pain. I started doing powerlifting last year. All the lifts I do have some effect on the core, back, but the DeadLift and Squats have had the most. Just a word of warning it can cause testosterone levels increase too ;) My actual workout consists of 5 sets of 5 reps at 30% of my maximum lift. This is called a 5x5 program (you can download and install the 5x5 app to make it easy). You start with just the 45 lb bar your first day and slowly work your way up. Focus on form, it's very important if he is a big guy. I am down to 400 lbs and can do the lifts without knee braces or a back brace, I don't think it will stay that way for much longer, but that's where I'm at right now. The workouts consist of Squats (every lifting day) and (Workout A: standing Overhead Press +Deadlift ) (Workout B: Bench Press + Barbell rows). It's been at least 6 months now since I've had any kind of back pain (or even illness). There have been soooo many other benefits as well.

8. Feb 23, 2019 #28

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

I'm interested to know what you mean, escapist, by "focus on form". Does it mean lifting the weights in the correct way, including with the correct posture?