Cake and buttercream/fondant flavor pairings?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by da3ley, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Oct 19, 2018 #1

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

Hello Board,

Can anyone give advice on what flavors of cake and icing go well together? I am getting a cake for a relative whose birthday is Sunday and would like to know if any of the awesome foodies here have any suggestions?
    Also, I never tried fondant, and was also wondering if that would be a good choice as far as taste? I know its quite expensive, but I really do enjoy buttercream. The relative isn't picky at all and they wanted me to make the decision so that's why I am trying to get advice here. Thanks in advance :):)

2. Oct 19, 2018 #2

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Fondant, eh? If you're feeling THAT ambitious, look up Battenberg cake on aalrecipes.com...

da3ley likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2018 #3

SoVerySoft

SoVerySoft

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor Staff Member Global Moderator

Fondant is more for looks than flavor, as far as I know. Another option besides butter cream would be whipped cream frosting.

Flavors? Coconut and lemon are good together. Chocolate and cherry. Really, what could be bad? :)

da3ley likes this.
  4. Oct 20, 2018 #4

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

I'm a big fan of the good old cream cheese frosting - for almost everything except chocoloate (I don't like the taste/texture you get with cocoa powder - and melted real chocoloate ruins the consistency of the cream cheese).
    The lemon/vanilla or orange zest version is great - as is cinnamon or also coffee.

Classic powdered sugar frosting can be really nice too - as long as you take care to use flavoring that overrules the plain sugar taste. Cocoa powder and rum is my regular for banana bread for instance. I also have a great winter walnut cake recipe, which gets a coffee and cognac powdered sugar frosting.

If you want to go for something really spectacular, then I would advise a marzipan cover (thinly rolled out) instead of fondant. The almond flavor beats the plain sugar, in my book. Unless you are very experienced as a baker, then that would only work with a ready made cover.

da3ley likes this.
  5. Oct 21, 2018 #5

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

wow, thank you so much for that. This all looks yummy. Im gonna actually order it. I am an ok baker but not that great. Thanks again. I may try the marzipan instead of fondant. It may be more expensive but I love marzipan.

6. Oct 21, 2018 #6

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

OMG that looks absolutely divine. I am actually ordering it through a baker.

7. Oct 21, 2018 #7

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

Well, I decided to go with a strawberry cake with a cream cheese flavored icing. I am hoping it might take on the flavor of a strawberry cheesecake, but well see. The fondant was wayy to expensive.

8. Feb 9, 2019 #8

beach

beach

beach

Cream cheese frosting all by itself.

Jay78 likes this.
  9. Feb 9, 2019 #9

Jay78

Jay78

Jay78

I don’t think fondant tastes good, I usually peel it off. I liked whipped cream or good old fashioned butter cream frosting. Pudding on the inside!

10. Apr 12, 2019 #10

Killexia

Killexia

Killexia

I realize this is super old, but fondant can be flavored. It is why I stick with it for some projects. I'd like to learn gum paste, but haven't bought any yet.

For flavor pairings I am really into the classics. White cake with vanilla buttercream. Chocolate with chocolate. Etc.

Lately I've been in a lemon mood, so I plan to make a lemon chiffon cake this weekend.