Cakes, Cakes, Cakes

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TheShannan

🐽🍪❤️💍🤰
I have such nostalgia for a basic boxed Duncan Hines cake. The yellow cake mix with chocolate frosting. As simple and cheap as it is, it's always a favorite. It reminds me of after-school as a kid. My grandma used to make them all the time to send pieces with grandpa at lunch because he worked grave yards and it was a nice little treat. ❤

AmyJo1976

Happy Holidays!
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter
I make a Mayonnaise cake every year for my aunt. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's actually really good. I don't eat mayonnaise on anything else! 🙁

AmyJo1976

Happy Holidays!
DM Supporter
I can see chocolate with the mayo cake working! Sadly I've never tried it before though :rolleyes:

AmyJo1976

Happy Holidays!
DM Supporter
Honestly, I miss the 80s birthday cake icing so much! When I was a kid, i always wanted the corner piece with the most icing! The cake wasn't really that good back then, but the icing was enough for me :D

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
I make a Mayonnaise cake every year for my aunt. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's actually really good. I don't eat mayonnaise on anything else! 🙁
So the mayonnaise, is it a fat substitute for the cake, AmyJo, instead of butter or oil? You've got me curious.

TheShannan

🐽🍪❤️💍🤰
Honestly, I miss the 80s birthday cake icing so much! When I was a kid, i always wanted the corner piece with the most icing! The cake wasn't really that good back then, but the icing was enough for me :D
Ahhh, the 80s! Yes it was like a harder icing but so good!! Whenever we had icing roses on the cake we would all fight over it because the frosting was so good! 🤣❤

AmyJo1976

Happy Holidays!
DM Supporter
So the mayonnaise, is it a fat substitute for the cake, AmyJo, instead of butter or oil? You've got me curious.
I'm not sure of the details on it, that just what my aunt has always liked. I used to help my grandmother make it for her years ago and then I kept doing it after she passed. It's a layer cake, really moist, and hard to keep together. Half the time it still falls apart on me lol!

Orchid

Chocolate cinnamon ginger kirsch cupcake. (Recipe old 70s BHG cookbook reduced amounts to fit baking tray of 6 and added flavours spices )
No frosting alas, no powdered sugar in pantry. It is on grocery list for tomorrow. Frosting is usually a little orange or lemon or lime juice mixed into powdered sugar and add to cupcake.

chocolate cinnamon ginger kirsch cupcake.jpg

Last edited:

BigElectricKat

I've got the brains, you've got the looks...
Staff member
Global Moderator
I almost posted the Cake by the Ocean video but thought better of it.

Tracyarts

Cake is my favorite sweet baked good. I'm happy with box mix yellow cake and chocolate pre-made frosting. Fancy cake is good but simple cake is good too. I especially love lemon pound cake and German chocolate cake. My grandma used to make a chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting and fresh sliced banana between the layers, that was unique and delicious.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Cake is my favorite sweet baked good. I'm happy with box mix yellow cake and chocolate pre-made frosting. Fancy cake is good but simple cake is good too. I especially love lemon pound cake and German chocolate cake. My grandma used to make a chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting and fresh sliced banana between the layers, that was unique and delicious.
Interesting. I never knew that something like a German Chocolate Cake existed. I mean we have chocolate cakes here but I didn't know about this recipe in particular.

Latest posts