Cakes, Cakes, Cakes

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
you would think so, but it really doesn't!
Yeah, you certainly can end up with a dry mayonnaise cake.
I've found that you have to play around a bit with some recipes in order to find the proper amount of mayonnaise to substitute for the butter or oil.
Some of the ones I've tried didn't use enough, but they got better if I used a little more.

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter
You know that is funny because I had no idea that mayo was a diet sub. It makes sense now though since my aunt grew up in the 80's, but who would have thought? Either way, the cake is delish! :D

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
One of a couple of recipes my mom got from a certain family friend back when I was a kid (which we now consider family recipes), was for a
Fresh Apple Cake.

After Marge gifted us with this recipe, I asked for it as my birthday cake for many years. Mom actually made two just last week while another family friend was visiting.
I even made it myself, once, a few years ago.

I made a wee mess on the cake holder because I didn't wait long enough for the caramel glaze to cool a little (to let it thicken a wee bit) before I poured it over the cake.
Oops.

Recipe:

FRESH APPLE CAKE

In a large mixing bowl, beat together:
1½ Cups cooking oil
3 Large eggs

Measure into a separate bowl:
3 Cups plain flour
2 Cups brown sugar
1 teasp baking soda
1 teasp salt
Mix the dry ingredients together with a fork until
the flour and sugar are evenly combined.

Then with the mixer running in the oil/egg bowl,
add the dry ingredients a little at a time until
the wet and dry are well-incorporated.

Fold-in the following:
3 Cups tart apples, chopped
1 Cup walnuts, chopped

Spoon batter into a bundt pan.
Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, let cool in pan on cooling rack for 15-20 minutes then
invert onto cake dish.

Topping:
1 stick butter
1 Cup brown sugar
¼ Cup evaporated milk
1 Cup walnuts, chopped

Bring to boil for 2½ minutes,
remove from heat, and let cool for
a short time to allow it to start thickening a little.
Pour over cake while still warm.
Oh my! Someone really needs to make me this for a wee treat. 😍

AuntHen

Chicken Whisperer 🐔
DM Supporter
I love really good cake (not a fan of overly sweet or thick frosting). I made a vanilla cake with chocolate ganache. I put some cooled espresso in the ganache to really bring out the chocolate flavor and give it a hint of bitterness 🎂🍫☕
*I ate a huge piece... no regrets!* ☺

20210504_160658.jpg

Orchid

Sunday baking. Upside down cake with fruits. Fruit layer is 1 apple, 1 pear, apricots dried and sultanas.
Ginger powder, cinnamon powder, a little brown sugar, salt and juice of 1/2 orange for moistness.
Cake batter is flour, baking powder, salt, ginger powder, vanillin because real vanilla was sold out in grocery shop, some fresh milk, 1 big egg and 1 small egg, some real butter, some sugar but less s/o dislikes sugary cakes. Store bought cakes, cookies etc here in EU also have less sugar than export items.
Bakes in a pyrex size 22 cm in 27 minutes at 175C oven. Added powdered sugar to top and a little orange juice and thin slices gingerroot in syrup.

Attachments

Am Jim

Nothing to fancy here. I love cake but am not a fan of frosting. I also like fresh baked cakes. So my favorite is Betty Crocker strawberry. Since the recipe calls for three eggs it’s easy to split the recipe in thirds. I use a small glass dish when I bake it and since it’s only 1/3 of a cake I can get a fresh baked cake more often.

BigElectricKat

I've got the brains, you've got the looks...
Staff member
Global Moderator
We have Nothing Bundt Cakes here as well. That Praline pecan is the hit!

Am Jim

Anyone here ever had a Jello Cake? It’s basically a white cake, you poke holes in it and add liquid jello mix and then after it cools, you add Cool whip on top! Soooo delicious

there’s also a place here called Nothing Bundt Cakes and they sell Bundt cakes with cream cheese frosting
Definitely a big fan of jello cakes! I like orange jello, what’s your favorite flavor?

Shotha

DM Supporter
A fond childhood memory of mine is my granny's Christmas cakes. Every year she would bake a Christmas cake and cover it with a thick layer of marzipan, which she would then cover with icing. She would put it in a cake tine and hide it in the pantry. My two male cousins and I would search for the cake. When we found it, we would start to take some of the marzipan and icing off the cake every day to eat. It was the marzipan that we wanted. When granny finally took the cake out of the pantry to share the first slices of it, she would throw her hands in the air and say, "I'm sure that I iced that cake." She never let on that she knew where the marzipan and icing had gone. I reckon that it was granny's marzipan and icing that started making me fat. Thank you so much, granny.

DazzlingAnna

✈ 🇬🇷
DM Supporter
Made some chocolate muffins this morning. Just to keep two children entertained. At least it was my plan.
Except some dough tasting & decoration one (!) muffin each child I did all the baking and decorating and cleaning.

Chocolate muffin with hopefully massive chocolate core under a chocolate / sugar decoration.
20210520_122430.jpg

SSBHM

Chocolate cinnamon ginger kirsch cupcake. (Recipe old 70s BHG cookbook reduced amounts to fit baking tray of 6 and added flavours spices )
No frosting alas, no powdered sugar in pantry. It is on grocery list for tomorrow. Frosting is usually a little orange or lemon or lime juice mixed into powdered sugar and add to cupcake.

View attachment 141668
looks lonely - needs buddies surrounding it!

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
Made some chocolate muffins this morning. Just to keep two children entertained. At least it was my plan.
Except some dough tasting & decoration one (!) muffin each child I did all the baking and decorating and cleaning.

Chocolate muffin with hopefully massive chocolate core under a chocolate / sugar decoration.
View attachment 142156
You put the kettle on, and I'll bring the spoons. 😆