• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Cholesterol, saturated fat and politically correct nutrition.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_C

I wanted to start a new thread so we wouldn't have to continue to hijack someone else's thread to keep the discussion going.

Well, since Vitamin D is available in sunshine, you could go outside. Sunshine doesn't have any fat.

As I said before, sunshine does not contain vitamin D. I even linked to a site explaining how the body creates vitamin D from sunshine and oils on / in the skin. The key word there is oils... IE, fat.

Nobody has said that cholesterol is not present or should not be present in a healthy body. Again, what we've all said repeatedly is there are healthy and unhealthy levels of it. Its total absense is a health hazard, as is too much of it.

I don't recall saying that anyone said cholesterol should not be present. As I've already stated, I believe that the current US recommendations are too low, and statins are prescribed far too quickly without trying to first recommend lifestyle changes to achieve the same results.

Breast milk is suited to newborn infants, not to adults. As Friday said, many humans are lactose intolerant as they get older, not as babies.

I'm guessing that my other reply had not yet been posted before you posted this reply... because I've already addressed all of these issues so far. It has been my experience that most people who think they are lactose intolerant are really just pasteurized milk intolerant. Once they get real, raw milk in to their diets, they have no problems drinking milk. I've seen this happen more times than I can count.

Ok. Babies are growing and their bodies have nutritional needs geared toward developing the body into a grown human. Adults are not. The life systems of babies are in developmental stages; the same is not true for adults.

These are not physiological descriptions. These are generalities that would also apply to every human at LEAST to age 16 to 18. Some people even continue growing into their early 20s. They do nothing to explain why saturated fat would go from critical component to deadly poison. Here's a hint... when you start digging in to the actual data of saturated fat studies, you'll find a lot of misinformation. Many, if not most of the studies implicating saturated fat in heart disease actually used man-made saturated fats (trans fats) and claimed that they were the same thing as natural fat. If you really think saturated fat is bad for you, you should read the history of the Sri Lankans. At one time they ate more than 100 lbs of coconut per capita per year. As that rate fell and fat intake was replaced with vegetable oil, heart disease went up. Same went for India, where their scientists have recommended a return to coconut oil. Coconut oil is THE most saturated natural fat on the planet... yet an increase in coconut oil intake has been associated with a reduction in heart disease.
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10132.htm

Additionally, even the bodies of the elderly are in a constant state of regeneration. Many parts of the body completely regenerate on 10 year cycles.
http://ngcblog.nationalgeographic.com/ngcblog/2007/09/inside_the_living_body_facts_a.html

So, I'm not sure why you think that infants have the market on benefits from saturated fat.

You really bring the wrong, dude. The idea that anyone eats "a lot" of something is debatable. The Japanese diet, like most Asian diets, uses meat as more of a flavor than a staple, and it's a smaller overall percentage of the diet.

It's interesting that you ask me for sources and then don't provide your own when making claims like the one above. The following page disagrees with your assertion.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/japan.html
"However, the real basis of the Japanese diet is not rice but fish, consumed at more than 154 pounds per person per year1—almost one-half pound per day. This is about the same amount by weight as rice, but in terms of calories, fish provides a greater amount for most of the Japanese.

The Japanese also eat many other animal foods including beef, pork, chicken, duck and eel. Beef consumption has climbed in recent years, some of it locally raised but much of it imported. The famous Kobe beef is tender and full of fat. The Japanese even import large quantities of beef offal.4 Consumption of beef liver, tripe and other organ meats is commonplace. Various organ meats are usually served at specialty restaurants. Eel served at restaurants is often accompanied with a soup containing eel innards.

Beef, pork and chicken are usually grilled and served with a sauce that contains soy sauce along with other ingredients such as merin (a sweet wine), sake (rice wine), vinegar or sugar.

The "everything but the oink" is just...laughable. Please site on instance of elderly Japanese eating pig snouts or ears.

You don't strike me as the type of person that's interested in a real debate... but since you asked for it, here you go:

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/food_in_china.html
"And what do Okinawans eat? The main meat of the diet is pork, and not the lean cuts only. Okinawan cuisine, according to gerontologist Kazuhiko Taira, "is very healthy—and very, very greasy," in a 1996 article that appeared in Health Magazine.19 And the whole pig is eaten—everything from "tails to nails." Local menus offer boiled pigs feet, entrail soup and shredded ears. Pork is cooked in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, kelp and small amounts of sugar, then sliced and chopped up for stir fry dishes. Okinawans eat about 100 grams of meat per day—compared to 70 in Japan and just over 20 in China—and at least an equal amount of fish, for a total of about 200 grams per day, compared to 280 grams per person per day of meat and fish in America. Lard—not vegetable oil—is used in cooking."

And here are a few more mentions of the Okinawins and their diets, how the diets are changing in today's world, and how they're living shorter lives. Note the multiple mentions of pork.
http://healthpromotionblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/04/pork-lard-did-not-make-okinawans-fat-sick/

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/do...6047.2001.00235.x?cookieSet=1&journalCode=ajc

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

Max.

Latest posts

Back