Quantcast

Classical Music Appreciation

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shotha

DM Supporter
Johann Sebastian Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F major, BWV 1047
Claudio Abbado & the Orchestra Mozart

Beautiful 2nd movement, Andante (in D minor).
Features treble recorder, with encore of 3rd movement, Allegro Assai, featuring the seldom heard sopranino recorder.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Johann Sebastian Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G major, BWV 1049

Beautiful 2nd movement, Andante (in E minor).
Features treble recorders.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
Hi @Shotha

The vids for Concerti 2-4 are blocked in US.
I mean, it's gonna happen; I'm not complaining.
I just wanted you to know.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Adagio in G-Minor -- Tomaso Albinoni (or Remo Giazotto, depending on who you believe)

I came across a third story about the work, according to which Albinoni was the original composer but left the work unfinished and Giazotto completed it. From the fragmentary evidence available, I doubt that we shall ever know the truth, which leaves us with a huge mystery around one of the most admired and loved pieces of classical music. I so love as good mystery. Despite the fact that we will never have the full facts about its authorship, there is no doubt about its enduring popularity.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Johann Sebastian Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

Shotha

DM Supporter
Johann Sebastian Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 in B♭ major, BWV 1051

Bach concludes the Brandenburg Concertos with a score, which could have been created for Dimensions. The beautiful mellow tone is created by scoring this concerto for only the larger members of the violin family and harpsicord. No violins. Just two viole da braccio (ordinary violas), two viole da gamba, 'cello, violone and harpsichord. The violone is the large instrument like a bowed double bass at the back of the stage. Bach has certainly demonstrated here how big can be beautiful.

Note the unusual ending of the 2nd Movement: Adagio in E♭ major, an imperfect cadence in G minor. It leave you expect the movement to continue.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tárrega. Played by John Williams.

One of the best known classical guitar pieces ever written. This is the ultimate tremolo study for classical guitar. John Williams makes it sound so easy. I could never play it. The difficulty isn't so much in what you have to play as in what you don't have to play. Tárrega was very much part of the Romantic Era and he shows how lyrical Spanish music can be. A nice piece for bedtime.

Latest posts