• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Dear Oprah

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestlingguy

"Bitter Old Man"
I'm sure that most, if not all of you have seen the new Weight Watchers commercials starring Oprah Winfrey, who is essentially telling everyone that there is a thin person in each fat person that wants to get out.

A size positive friend of mine who blogs put out a response to Oprah this week, and I thought it was worth sharing.

Dear Oprah

Well. Here we are again.

I saw you on TV this morning advertising a diet.

Are we through the looking glass?? Seriously.

You’ve been here before. So many times. As a long time viewer (when your show was still popular enough to be on mainstream TV), I am well aware that your battle with your weight (and I suspect your personal demons) has been long term, hard going and well documented.

You know better than most people that dieting doesn’t work. You’re well aware that statistically, most people who lose weight put it all back on again and then some. And then some more.

Can I remind you that your previous “successes” include the 1988 loss of 67lb via the medium of a liquid protein diet? 67lb you soon put back on.
You’ve made mistakes and you’ve said as much yourself.

So why on earth have you now bought shares in Weightwatchers? What possible benefit could there be for you to invest in the multi-million pound diet industry, fuelled by insecurity and perpetuated by the media? Oh wait.
Frankly your greed disgusts me. You have worked hard and earned a fortune. For you now to prey on the misery of other women solely to boost your own bank balance is nothing short of despicable.

Making money from others’ insecurities is not cool. Making money from those insecurities when you know exactly the damage caused by the diet industry, when you’ve felt that pain yourself is evil.

You are in a position of influence. You have an unusual amount of power. You’re trusted and respected. You could have done something worthwhile. You could have done something radical.

You could have told the truth about life as a fat woman, called for an end to body shaming and championed size acceptance.
You did none of these things.

You chose to sell out. You chose to be the face of a company that sells a false dream. That literally trades on hopes and fears.

What I know for sure is this – you have compromised your integrity by getting into bed with Weightwatchers.

You are a false prophet and I have lost all respect for you.
Here's the link to her blog, in case you'd rather read it there.
http://daisysays.co.uk/uncategorized/dear-oprah/

Back